Airport open house

sferguson524

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FormerSocalFlyer
I had the opportunity to go to the VGT open house over the last weekend. It was a great outreach to the community to show what an asset the airport is. I was talking to the organizer and he said it's the 8th year they have done it. The driver for it was 2 fatals 10 days apart and people screaming to close the airport. I have never seen so many families crawling all over an airport. I brought some coworkers out, and one was telling everyone who asked about his weekend about the RV-10 builder that had his plane out there. My wife spent probably 30 minutes asking him questions, and is now considering a pinch hitter course to learn to land the plane in case I am incapacitated. BillTiz was there with one of the club gliders, and my wife is going to do a lesson with him, and my coworker is considering it as well. All in all it was a great showing for GA, and I am proud to be a part of this community. So, please, when your local airport is having its open house, please take non pilots to it to show what an asset your local drome is.

Offer a free Hamburg and some flights,you can start to win over the uninformed.

Thanks for the write up!
The 99s started with a pancake breakfast. We get classic planes, warbirds, and kit builds in the displays. Plus some standard aircraft, Acro capable etc. we've invited local car clubs to help draw the crowd. The car clubs get exposure too and a chance to park in front of a war bird for photo op. We scheduled 9-3, a slow start but a steady stream from about 10-2. We estimated about 700 people came through and the local on airport pilots showed up for the 99s breakfast.

Put on by the Clark County Aviation Association (501c3) with support from the Clark County Department of Aviation. Support from the local flight schools with booths, FAASTEAM, and some model RC clubs. We use one of Howard Hughs original hangars.

I am definitely looking forward to next year's open house. If I can get the free time from the warden, i'd love to volunteer.

Back