Airport needed for dz

RiggerTony

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RiggerTony
Hello from Michigan. I own a skydiving operation up here. The weather is about to turn to crap here and I'd really like to find a friendly airport someplace warm that would let me do some tandem jumps over the winter.

If anyone knows of a place that would be suitable, I'd really appreciate hearing about it!

Thanks,

Tony

0T3 might not be far enough south for you but you're welcome to come down. There's absolutely nothing going on there, you'd have the entire field to yourself...literally...

You post this on dropzone too?

Probably want a larger town for a good population.

Hello from Michigan. I own a skydiving operation up here. The weather is about to turn to crap here and I'd really like to find a friendly airport someplace warm that would let me do some tandem jumps over the winter.

If anyone knows of a place that would be suitable, I'd really appreciate hearing about it!

Thanks,

Tony

Little airport on Sugarloaf Key up from Key West, check in with them especially if you have a client list of people coming down.

You could always try E80.
Gets cold during the New Year period, but usually lacks snow and other nasties (until spring when the wind kicks up for the next 3 months)

They drop people out of planes at Coleman Al (KCMD) but I think a better place to go is Courtland Al (9A4). It is close to Mussle Shoals and North Alabama University. They have more runways, allot more space and less traffic.

Any specific region more desirable to you versus others?

By you saying tandem jumping, am I inferring you're looking for the one time thrill seekers versus the seriously addicted? If the former, then that will limit the list to cities considered winter tourist destinations.

how warm do you need it to be to do winter skydiving? I was thinking he'd need to go someplace like Florida.

Phoenix area. Lots of people and something like 500 sunny days a year. On the downside, 110 degrees is a cool day in summer.

Caldwell Texas comes to mind. Navasota Texas. LaGrange Texas There is westside skydivers in Sealy Texas and an operation NE of Austin. Anywhere around College Station would put you within reach of 50K Texas A&M Students.

Reach out to Randy Ottinger at USPA. I am sure, in his travels and experiences dealing with airport access issues, that he has a good idea of suitable locations.

BSBD

C38363

Back