Airport insurance requirements

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
The airport where I hangar my plane requires $1,000,000 of liability insurance and also requires that they be named as an additional insured on the policy. In addition, the airport also requires $300,000 of liability and to be named an additional insured for any vehicles that you drive onto the property. I'm just wondering how common this is at other airports around the country.

The airport where I hangar my plane requires $1,000,000 of liability insurance and also requires that they be named as an additional insured on the policy. In addition, the airport also requires $300,000 of liability and to be named an additional insured for any vehicles that you drive onto the property. I'm just wondering how common this is at other airports around the country.

Very common. The numbers may vary.

Where we are there can be some negotiation this issue. Someone really needs to take folks to task on these requirements. The additional insured part isn't necessary for the airport to get what they need. It may dilute your coverage and gives them rights under the policy one shouldn't have to cover potential liability. Do they require that every plane that lands there have the same coverage? Every car that drives on the airport?

We used a large law firm representative to interact with the city and their policy suddenly became more flexible. Everyone just wants to fly and just give the city/airport what they want. They wanted that for my hanger which is not on airport property.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
I don't have an issue with the coverage really, but I do have an issue with the named insured, since it dilutes my coverage and the airport get benefits at my expense.

I don't have an issue with the coverage really, but I do have an issue with the named insured, since it dilutes my coverage and the airport get benefits at my expense.

That is really the rub. I can understand that if you burn down a row of hangars or if you run into someone on the ramp that they want to make sure that nobody comes looking for them.

I had to carry a million liability on my car when I wanted a gatepass at APA ages ago.
Oddly it only made a $16 increase in premium.

I had to carry a million liability on my car when I wanted a gatepass at APA ages ago.
Oddly it only made a $16 increase in premium.

Which reflects the rare occasion of automotive claims in that range. For another buck fifty they could offer 'unlimited' coverage.
Aircraft insurance has that inflection point as well, it is somewhere between 5 and 10mil :yikes: .

Back