Airport In Sight

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
If looking for Brunswick KBXM, it's the strip in the upper left corner. Wiscasset KIWI is about 5nm directly behind my seat. When departing KIWI #25, to maintain runway heading just keep the Bath Iron Works big crane on the nose.

HR

Attachments

• DSC05712 (L).JPG
    DSC05712 (L).JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 181
Last edited:
I love your photos.
Thanks. I was in an ice cream shop near Bath Iron Works the other day; was talking to a visitor up here, from Houston. He said he was in Maine last year for three days at a business function. First time in Maine -- that did it: went home and told the wife, "We'll go next year." This was it -- two weeks in Boothbay Harbor(my photo #1). He "has" my website, said he'll pass it along to friends in TX.

Same photo shoot as the shot at top of this thread -- Harpswell, Maine. The Kellogg Church is so old(photo #2) Willard Scott featured it on his NBC Today bit a couple years ago. I have other shots which include it; will probably put them all on my iPad(full-screen) and go knock on the doors of the surrounding houses, many of which look out on the ocean(might get some $ales). (Not finished finessing #3, yet.)

HR

Attachments

• Boothbay Harbor(1)Random.jpg
    Boothbay Harbor(1)Random.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC05417 (1 L).JPG
    DSC05417 (1 L).JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 45
  • DSC05416.JPG
    DSC05416.JPG
    12.3 MB · Views: 51
Nice pictures,of course you have a lot to work with,keep them coming.

I'm still post processing two aerial shoots of 160 and 175 shots; very time-consuming.
Did you make it up to KRKD and check in with Kevin Waters(Penobscot Island Air)?

HR

Here's one I moments ago "joked-up" for a friend(and her family) who own the Precast Concrete business in the shot.

Attachments

• DSC05751 (PLAY).JPG
    DSC05751 (PLAY).JPG
    10 MB · Views: 43
Same river, just on the north side of the bridge. The square building just to the right of the bridge was the home of Maine's first governor -- well, not THAT historic building(Customs House) but on that property. In the more than century-old well-worn freight shed at water's edge is being built a replica of America's First Ship(Virginia). Construction method is as was way back when, hand-tooled. It's quite the project. Brunswick KBXM is just to the left of 12:00.

HR

Attachments

• DSC05722 (L).JPG
    DSC05722 (L).JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
What great pics! My gf and i will be up there at the end of this month formthe lobster festival.

Where would you recommend we book a discovery flight to get an aerial view of the area?

The airspace doesnt look complicated up there but id rather concentrate on sightseeing.

Thanks!

Monpilot: here's a possibility. Telephone Kevin Waters, owner of Penobscot Island Air(at Knox County Regional Airport). "Mr. Friendly" may do scenic flights other than his planes being the life blood to the islands. Another possibility is, ask to speak to Thomas(pronounced Tomahs) Sowles. Thomas is a nice young man, CFI - Commercial pilot I've known in Wiscasset and is one of Kevin's pilots at PIA. Thomas keeps a personal plane at KRKD. However, I think it's a C-140, so may be one seat short. Anyway, call Kevin; something will get in the works for you, I'd bet. I'll cut/paste this memo to Kevin.

HR(Jerry Crute to Kevin and Thomas)

thanks Harley,

i'll contact kevin later this weeks as my gf and I start working on our itineraries for the trip. looking at the PIA website it looks like they already offer sightseeing tours. it's a tossup between renting a plane (and the cost of the corresponding check ride) or paying more but spending the whole time enjoying the scenery maine has to offer.

we just found out we'll be stayiing closer to Belfast than Rockland but since we plan to go to the lobster festival i'm sure it'll still be convenient for sightseeing.

thanks again!

After watching "Down East Dickering" on cable, I want to go to Maine just to listen to you guys tawhk.

What great pics! My gf and i will be up there at the end of this month formthe lobster festival.

Where would you recommend we book a discovery flight to get an aerial view of the area?

The airspace doesnt look complicated up there but id rather concentrate on sightseeing.

Thanks!
MonPilot: Note that I have emailed Kevin Waters at Penobscot Island Air(KRKD) and advised him of your quest and my suggestions that you telephone him. Actually, I cut/pasted your above post and the response I made to it. If you're looking for a good place to stay, call Cedar Crest Motel in Camden or Country Inn in Rockport(1/2 mile between them). Ask to speak to Bill Hahn, Innkeeper(not just because he's my uncle). Bill will likely be at one of them, though HIS office is at Country Inn.

:eek:) HR

thanks Harley,

i'll contact kevin later this weeks as my gf and I start working on our itineraries for the trip. looking at the PIA website it looks like they already offer sightseeing tours. it's a tossup between renting a plane (and the cost of the corresponding check ride) or paying more but spending the whole time enjoying the scenery maine has to offer.

we just found out we'll be stayiing closer to Belfast than Rockland but since we plan to go to the lobster festival i'm sure it'll still be convenient for sightseeing.

thanks again!
- - - and I'm just seeing your latest post AFTER I recommended the Camden and Rockport facilities.

HR

Back