Airport Courtesy Cars App/Website Facebook Update

retpd2001

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
retpd2001
ACC's app is still free in the app stores, and on the web. Currently over 11,000 active pilots are using it, and several businesses and FBO' offer fuel and other product discounts. I recently added a Facebook page which will include updates and events. If you are on Facebook please take a look and like it at www.facebook.com/airportcourtesycars Thanks!

So I was just prompted that an update for the Android version of this app is available, but it requires some additional permissions. Wondering what sort of permissions an app night need to let me search for airports with courtesy cars, I clicked the button...

...and was presented with a list of requested privileges that would make a Chinese hacker blush:

xAM3cQH.jpg

There were so many permissions requested, they wouldn't even fit on one screen!

WTH??!?

This is an issue I have had to address several times. This is something pre built into most Android devices. I have absolutely no control over it, nor do I see or can see any of that info the app requests. It has been explained to me that those permissions pertain to possible future enhancements. For example, right now, a user cannot insert a photo to the app. But in the future if I wanted to make that a feature, that permission would be used. The only request my app uses is location for the Google map, and on most phones you can turn that off.

This has caused me nothing but grief from Android users, and believe me, if I could do away with all of that I would, but I keep being told that Android will not allow it.

One thing that I have done recently is convert the app into a website. The obvious advantage to this is it can be used on any device, bug and permission free. The only difference is the map feature, which works best on a computer or tablet. I would suggest to Android users to bookmark the website (www.airportcourtesycars.com) on your home screen and use it that way. Hope this helps. Glenn

I don't understand the "absolutely no control" bit...are you contracting out the development to someone else or something? Even so, do you not have control over what the developer is doing for you? How are you not in control of your own app?

There are plenty of Android apps that don't require jillions of permissions. For instance, up until this present update, Airport Courtesy Cars did not.

I don't mind granting permissions when there are legitimate features that require them. But requesting access to my contacts, my texts, and my photos when there's no legit reason...especially when the owner of said app says he has no idea why those permissions are being requested?

No way. App deleted.

That is correct, I do not have control over this and I would encourage you to contact the app host themselves and express your opinion. They are ibuildapp.com And you are incorrect that the app did not require permissions earlier. They are the main reason why I converted all of the data to a website. I am 100% dissatisfied with them. I hope you find the website version valuable. Glenn

Last edited:
I don't understand the "absolutely no control" bit...are you contracting out the development to someone else or something? Even so, do you not have control over what the developer is doing for you? How are you not in control of your own app?

There are plenty of Android apps that don't require jillions of permissions. For instance, up until this present update, Airport Courtesy Cars did not.

I don't mind granting permissions when there are legitimate features that require them. But requesting access to my contacts, my texts, and my photos when there's no legit reason...especially when the owner of said app says he has no idea why those permissions are being requested?

No way. App deleted.

And you lose access to the value of the app.....

Nose - face - knife - spite

I was able to find a copy of the original response I got from iBuildapp, here it is:

Dear iBuildApp Users,

With over 1 million customers, and 30,000+ downloads, iBuildApp prides itself in being able to make it easy for customers to build and quickly update their app into the marketplace.

Each app made by iBuildApp has a list of permissions which are a standard amongst the most popular apps on the Google/Apple marketplace to allow their apps flexible implementation for any feature changes in their app.

App creators at iBuildApp do not have any access to the data from the devices using their app,

the permissions allow better functionality of the features on the app.

Regards,

iBuildApp Team

Back