Airport Closure Imminent

800? Aren't there over 10,000 members here at POA?

If it were a spin zone topic I could certainly understand some not wanting to sign or take part, but to save an airport? At POA?

That surprises me that it's only 800. I thought it would have been well into the thousands by now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it requires giving an email address.

I get enough spam/uce without giving up an email address.

yeah.......... unfortunately I have received multiple spam stuff because of adding my comment.....

it is a double edged sword..:yes::mad::mad2:

Bob, it does, and I certainly respect the choice not to sign to prevent spam.

I investigated more than one online petition, being a spam-hater myself, and they all required email input as part of the petition signature process.

I myself signed a change.org petition once before (not this one), and I just unsubscribed from their emails when I received one.

No worries, anyways; although I'll be handing the petition over Monday night for formality's sake, it looks like we accomplished what we set out to accomplish.

Sarah

Agreed on the spam, but...

1) It is a small price for me to pay to help save an airport.

2) The first email I received from them afterwards I unsubscribed, and haven't gotten anything else since.

So if that was all it took was me deleting 1 spam message and taking 45 seconds to go through the unsubscribe process, it was well worth it to me.

Agreed on the spam, but...

1) It is a small price for me to pay to help save an airport.

2) The first email I received from them afterwards I unsubscribed, and haven't gotten anything else since.

So if that was all it took was me deleting 1 spam message and taking 45 seconds to go through the unsubscribe process, it was well worth it to me.
:yeahthat:

Sarah, what is the tentative plan for food at the airport? :)

Again, thank you ALL for signing. I'm closing the petition Monday and I'm sorry for any spam - just know that that was NOT *my* intent and I *HATE* spam. I didn't see any other way I could get the widespread support that I did. Maybe I should investigate building a no-spam petition site myself! ;)

As for the food plan, first of all our main focus was to keep the airport open, and it looks like we've done that. The 2nd step is what the city talked about that the meeting which is getting infrastructure upgrades done (runway overlay, etc). As it relates to the restaurant, as I think I said, we own the dinner theater in town (hey, great fly-in attraction!) and our partners, the Golden Ox restaurant (the oldest operating steakhouse in KC) are on board to get it up and running. Of course, that is assuming we are successful in our lease of the facility. First, the City Attorney has to go, we have no interest in doing business with the city with THAT GUY at the helm (and he truly is at the helm!). Secondly, the city has to want us there. Should that all work out, then there will be a restaurant!

I will let you guys know how Monday goes, and continue to resurrect this thread after that to let you know how airport work and forward movement is progressing!

Sarah

No biggie on the spam since it's for the greater good.

the Golden Ox

Wow, there's a blast from the past. Haven't been there in at least 20 years and haven't had the name cross my mind in at least 10. Thanks for the flashback.

Glad it appears to be going your way.

The city last night approved a resolution to make improvements to get the airport in compliance with some of the MoDOT inspection report discrepancies and to apply for the 90-10 grant for the runway overlay. The vote was 5-0! Two MoDOT officials were in attendance as well and had spent the day at the airport walking through things with the Council to foster understanding of things that needed addressing (such as removal/topping of trees).

For now, we can breathe easy. The Mayor, who is an avid supporter, made a statement admonishing the Council for behavior during the process then slapped our hand for being so hard on the Council and especially Taylor. Offsetting penalties. We feel it had to be done to have any chance of saving the field. We went from closure talk to a 5-0 vote to improve it. If it means we never get a lease, then so be it; it was for the greater good.

Jim (my husband) has a lot of meetings this week and does plan to call the Mayor and thank him and talk to him a while. We can at least go back to forming the AAA chapter at the field now...

THANK YOU ALL, once again. I'll update this thread now and again in the coming months as the improvements are made, events are eventually planned, and hopeful progress continues toward making this a great airport.

Sarah

Congratulations Sarah!
Good news, thanks for sharing

AOPA?,Bueller?,AOPA?,Bueller?,AOPA?,Bueller?

Don't bother AOPA. I know you'll have a half page spread coming up soon about how you were the linchpin of all the success there, and how it couldn't have been done without AOPA volunteers this and that, and how AOPA stands beside every organization in the interest of GA, blah, blah.

Sorry to be so down, but the asshattery at AOPA just toasts me a bit. Great news about the airport and getting your city counsel to sit up and listen.

I created a free yahoo email just for those occasions and let them spam til the cows come home.

Anyone looking for something to do on the 16th. I plan to attend (if my annual goes well):

Mar2013pancakes3EX.jpg

Back