Airport closed - Sunday 230CT

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
Any idea what closed the airport? They're stacked up out in the holds right now.

The txt said there is a disabled aircraft in a runway. We’re sitting by 27 and didn’t see any problems.

No telling whasdup.

The next text said landing 27 and 36L only. So maybe a prob on 36R?

The txt said there is a disabled aircraft in a runway. We’re sitting by 27 and didn’t see any problems.

No telling whasdup.

The next text said landing 27 and 36L only. So maybe a prob on 36R?

Reminds me I need to sign up for those before tomorrow.

Weird. Didn't see anything on webcams but vintage cam doesn't see the far end of 36.

And now 27 is closed with emergency vehicles in the south side near warbirds. Can’t see the problem from here.

And now 27 is closed with emergency vehicles in the south side near warbirds. Can’t see the problem from here.

Someone on the radio said RV off the edge of runway. Unconfirmed. Just passing along gossip.

I watched the incident on 36. A group of 5 came into land, they might have been all older TW Cessna, a plane was getting squirrely on landing so the bird dog behind him went around, he then flew a very tight pattern and ground looped it, it was a pretty violent loop, hope the pilot ok. Winds today are out of the west at 15 mph and very gusty, when I was walking up early I could of swore a P51 did a go around but I can’t confirm that

After the L-19 ground looped into and back out the other side of the ditch, a whole gaggle of other warbirds went around because of crosswinds - Skyraider, Corsair, Mustang. Those winds were not easy to deal with. Saw a bunch of airplanes on 36 get squirrely. Not sure what happened with the 310 though. That looked like an old fashioned gear collapse.

Cessna 310 had a right gear collapse and the sequence is on YouTube. The "Airbus" ADS-B was a Canadian canard that was in the air for six hours and one of the final ones to get in before the field closed for the night.

We were watching the landings on 36. A group of 4 Birddogs came in and one did a go around. He came back on 36R and bounced around a bit, looked like he had it saved but looped and veered right off of the runway. Looked like a beautiful plane. Things were shut down for about 30 minutes. Crosswind was wicked for landings on 36 Sunday.

Back