Airplanes aren't as expensive as I thought...

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
WRT repair costs and compared to cars. I just spent $2400 on my car's "annual inspection" and repairs AKA the 80,000 mile service. The basic service which included a laundry list of PM items including spark plugs, serpentine belt and a few filters came to about $1k. The rest was for fixing a few squawks: A CV boot, an Oxygen sensor (there are four), an EGT sensor(there are two), a hose (that cost $150), and two diverter valves. On the bright side the car does run much better with more power than I remember it having for a while. Next up is a timing belt replacement due in another 25k miles for about $1k (includes a replacement water pump which is typically changed at the same time).

So, when we complain about the high maintenance cost of our airplanes we should take comfort in the fact that for many, automobile maintenance isn't really all that much cheaper.

I think you're right. I was talking with a friend who is a sports car enthusiast(sp) and mentioned what I just paid for the paint job on my Grumman. He just said "That's not bad at all!"

lancefisher said:
...AKA the 80,000 mile service.
That would be every four years or so... or $600 per annual. Nope. Not buying it. Airplanes are way, way, way more expensive. And worth it.

gibbons said:
That would be every four years or so... or $600 per annual. Nope. Not buying it. Airplanes are way, way, way more expensive. And worth it.

Well that's on a car that cost about $40k new and is worth about half that now. On the average that's comparable to my taildragger and my average annual maint cost is less than $600. Of course the car in question is about twice as fast as the plane but the car has trouble maintaining altitude.

lancefisher said:
So, when we complain about the high maintenance cost of our airplanes we should take comfort in the fact that for many, automobile maintenance isn't really all that much cheaper.

I was thinking about that when I was overhauling the carburetors on my motorcycle a few months ago.
The fuel selector that screws into the bottom of the tank is a simple mechanical 2 way valve with a little pipe and screen on top inside the tank and a secondary filter with a connector for the hose to attach. Main, Off, Aux. $122.05 :eek:
Two T-connector air pipes that go between the carburetors that are nothing more than 6ish inches of hose and a metal connector on the 1/2" long rubber T fitting: $37.15 a pop for maybe 8 cents worth of material. :eek: :eek:

For most regular vehicle stuff (especially on older vehicles) I'm thinking the total prices involved are lower but the ratio of parts vs vehicle cost is about the same as airplanes to some extent depending on the situation. Of course you have shop rates for ground vehicle repairs that can really sting sometimes. (A $150 off the shelf part suddenly costs $600 plus $300 in labor for 1.5 hrs of work)

That's what happens when you buy a BMW.

I agree.
lancefisher said:

gibbons said:

Got that right. Just put the first set of plugs in the pickup at 180,000 miles. But tires for the plane were a lot cheaper!

Then again, pickups are a lot simpler and I do my own work, so I guess that's cheating. :D

tom. said:
Got that right. Just put the first set of plugs in the pickup at 180,000 miles. But tires for the plane were a lot cheaper!

Then again, pickups are a lot simpler and I do my own work, so I guess that's cheating. :D

Yep, tubes and tires for the Baron are a lot cheaper than a set of four for my car, and I have to have two sets for the car. I've never compared how long they last relatively though. I could have saved a bit less than half the $2400 by doing the work myself, but it would have taken me a long time to get it all done and I'd rather be doing something else, not to mention that they have a lot of special tools at the car dealer that I don't. Interestingly the labor rate at my FBO is $60/hr almost exactly half what the car dealer charges.

Back