Airplane Specifications

texasag93

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
texasag93
I am looking for a web site or other source for information about airplanes.

I go to trade-a-plane and look at different airplanes and wonder how fast they go, what their fuel consumption rate is, how many hours are generally put on the engines before they need to be overhauled (I know it is different depending on how they are treated), and other information.

I say this as I am interested in buying an airplane in the next year or so and want to see what they are capable of and determining cost of ownership.

I have joined a local flying club so that I can experience the airplane ownership without being able to make HUGE mistakes and garner information from other club members.

There are many sources of data, but the value of the information is suspect for a number of reasons. For example, a website may publish factory numbers that show an empty weight that is several hundred pounds lighter than a "typically-equipped and delivered" airplane that represents a more realistic number. Dittto with cruise speeds, ceilings, etc.

For purchase decisions, the various type clubs can provide much better real-life numbers than the "book numbers" websites.

I am looking for a web site or other source for information about airplanes.

I go to trade-a-plane and look at different airplanes and wonder how fast they go, what their fuel consumption rate is, how many hours are generally put on the engines before they need to be overhauled (I know it is different depending on how they are treated), and other information.

I say this as I am interested in buying an airplane in the next year or so and want to see what they are capable of and determining cost of ownership.

I have joined a local flying club so that I can experience the airplane ownership without being able to make HUGE mistakes and garner information from other club members.

I think there is Risingup.com, and airliners.net has a lot of info as do various wikipedia articles. As Wayne states though, many of those numbers are highly suspect and may be mph without such label, or 'marketing numbers' which are known incorrect or to cause extreme maintenance bills if attempted.

I think there is Risingup.com, and airliners.net has a lot of info as do various wikipedia articles. As Wayne states though, many of those numbers are highly suspect and may be mph without such label, or 'marketing numbers' which are known incorrect or to cause extreme maintenance bills if attempted.

Heh. On one of the computers I use, Risingup is supposedly known to cause malware or something like that.

Heh. On one of the computers I use, Risingup is supposedly known to cause malware or something like that.

That would be a shame, but it may not be their fault. I had the same thing happen on my website if you used IE. An attack on the host infected everything, but since I used Firefox Win7 and Safari iOS I never saw it until someone told me about it.

Post what you're looking at or considering and you'll get lots of info here, not all of it correct, but close enough for government work.;)

What2fly.com

Post what you're looking at or considering and you'll get lots of info here, not all of it correct, but close enough for government work.;)

It doesn't matter really, look, let me save a bunch of bandwidth as they would say in the ARPANET days and just cut to the chase, the answer to everything is an Avanti Piaggio with retractable belly floats/ long range fuel tanks making it into a high speed efficient globe spanning camper amphib.

Something to keep in mind is some wisdom that Wayne shared with me when I first got started.

Rarely are 100% of your missions going to be at the aircraft's full capacity. And rarely are you going to be flying the entire family.

So while buying a 6-place, high useful load, big engine retract would be the right thing when the entire family is going on the longer trip, how many flights is that really going to be in a year's time versus the number that are just you going on a local burger/BBQ/pancake flight of 100nm or less?

Wayne's best advice to me is to own for your common flying (likely regional fun and experience building, and the occasional 2 and 3 person trip), and then gain access and qualifications to rent the bigger craft.

It doesn't matter really, look, let me save a bunch of bandwidth as they would say in the ARPANET days and just cut to the chase, the answer to everything is an Avanti Piaggio with retractable belly floats/ long range fuel tanks making it into a high speed efficient globe spanning camper amphib.

Fortunately for the OP, there are some Piaggio's on our field for him to take a closer look at. I think they come here to get some of their final trim outs.

Yahbut those chainsaw-sounding pushers are way too noisy and I don't like midwing design and when they land they go wop wop wop.:D

Yahbut those chainsaw-sounding pushers are way too noisy and I don't like midwing design and when they land they go wop wop wop.:D

ANR the entire cabin with a good Polk Audio system:D. It's a rocking airplane; put jets in the wings and with the floats you can play Johnny Quest.;):rofl:

:idea::eek: Crap! Would that be an awesome STC conversion or what?!:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::lol::lol:

They are ugly, but they are fast!:D

I plan on hunting. I love pheasant hunting, duck hunting, and elk hunting. I plan on finding other things to hunt.

I plan on flying 2 other guys (or 3) plus 2-3 dogs for the pheasant and duck hunting.

With this, we have the guns and clothing.

We are about to have our 2nd child, so a 4 seater plus stuff would be our normal activities (going to visit family and friends) 150-250 nm range. The 182 that the club has is fine for this.

I plan on 4-8 hunts per year. I currently only pheasant hunt once per year as the drive is 9 hours. It is a 2:30 in the 182 that I am going to use from the club but it cannot handle the weight and a kennel. I can pheasant hunt 3-4 more times a year since I can take off Saturday and return Sunday.

I want to duck hunt along the gulf coast. I never do this as it is a 5-7 hour (longer for out of state) drive for that.

In order for my wife to fly with me, it has to have a reasonably nice interior and compfortable. She does not hunt :(.

I plan on hunting. I love pheasant hunting, duck hunting, and elk hunting. I plan on finding other things to hunt.

I plan on flying 2 other guys (or 3) plus 2-3 dogs for the pheasant and duck hunting.

We are about to have our 2nd child, so a 4 seater plus stuff would be our normal activities (going to visit family and friends) 150-250 nm range. The 182 that the club has is fine for this.

I plan on 4-8 hunts per year. I currently only pheasant hunt once per year as the drive is 9 hours. It is a 2:30 in the 182 that I am going to use from the club but it cannot handle the weight and a kennel. I can pheasant hunt 3-4 more times a year since I can take off Saturday and return Sunday.

I want to duck hunt along the gulf coast. I never do this as it is a 5-7 hour (longer for out of state) drive for that.

In order for my wife to fly with me, it has to have a reasonably nice interior and compfortable. She does not hunt :(.

You can operate a Chieftain for a bit less than a BE 18 and it will go 20 kts faster. Lowest cost operation load hauler is a B-N Islander, it's 182 speed with 4 times the load using straight valve Lyc 540s.

Fortunately for the OP, there are some Piaggio's on our field for him to take a closer look at. I think they come here to get some of their final trim outs.

I'll just write a check for one of those.....

..........it will bounce around the room like flubber and I can spend some time with Denton's finest citizens.:hairraise:

Cessna 206. It's like a big 182. It also has utility doors that you can put the kennel through easily.

That is not an airplane, it is a Greyhound bus. WOW!

The Islander is a rockin airplane that doesn't cost much to operate for what it carries. Heck, you can haul 3 or 4 separate 'mile high' cabins.:rofl: That's why they are expensive to buy, they make money. That is a nice one for that price as well.

Brian, have you established a purchase budget?

For another "easy to load" aircraft for what you want is the Bonanza A36. The "barn doors" open up wider than a 1982 Suburban's did and it can haul a decent load. Easily the dogs, your equipment, and another human or two.

I've got a buddy based at Meacham who'd be willing to let you take a good long look at his 1968 A36. And I've seen some decent ones ranging from the $105's to $140's on the various sale sites.

If you want a non-pilot/participant to travel in a little airplane during Texas summers (more than once) an air conditioner is a must-have item. With the little tykes on board, it will be even more important to her.

Back