Airplane Repo---TV show

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Just tonight I have become aware of this program. I'm watching it now on the "Green Channel" (Direct TV Ch 286 in Orange County/Los Angeles area).

The building tempo, the shakey camera, the rapid edits from scene to scene and repetitions of the same scene but with ever increased suspense all suggest drama that would appeal to the Kardashian crowd.

But it looks real.

I'm curious as to where they repo'd that Beech from . They said Eastern PA , but they blacked out the name on the airport diagram.

It was a good show I think. Even though the drama seemed to be a bit over the top, it is always fun to watch people legally stealing things.

The guy who runs the show, Nick Popovich, sounds familiar for some reason. Anyone seen this crew in Gary?

This show ran last year for a couple of episodes and the two they're showing today seem to be the same ones I've already seen. Hopefully they have some more.

there were a few magazine articals about this family of A.C repo. I liked the show. Dave

I'm curious as to where they repo'd that Beech from . They said Eastern PA , but they blacked out the name on the airport diagram.

It was a good show I think. Even though the drama seemed to be a bit over the top, it is always fun to watch people legally stealing things.

LNS....

I did a boat episode a few years back. I went to the guy's door while they set up, got the keys and all the other stuff, then got on the boat and did my thing while my manager and 2 other guys did the on camera thing, talk about funny.

I did a part time stint many years ago repo'ing airplanes, very interesting times.

First plane I repo'ed was a Navajo 325CR. Never flew a Navajo before that, but I learned real fast. ;)

There are more ways than ways to Sunday to kill yourself in that bird....Tank commander's view of the planet/OH switches with which to cut up your face, MISERABLE (amazingly, more miserable than the original Chieftan) OEI performance....and usually they had a bazillion tanks scattered in those draggy nacelles.....crazy aircraft.

Last edited:
I did a boat episode a few years back. I went to the guy's door while they set up, got the keys and all the other stuff, then got on the boat and did my thing while my manager and 2 other guys did the on camera thing, talk about funny.
What show/episode was this?

KLNS ( Lancaster PA) I recognized the Airport Diagram and the FBO.

I am watching the "Best in the Business" episode. This is good; he has "special" software for tracking IFR flights. Because of this, he determined it had to be a VFR flight and therefore must have landed within 100 miles.

I am watching the "Best in the Business" episode. This is good; he has "special" software for tracking IFR flights. Because of this, he determined it had to be a VFR flight and therefore must have landed within 100 miles.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I would have loved to seen the direction on that scene...:lol:

A handful of scenes later it shows FlightAware.com on his computer (seriously) :rofl:

I saw the previews of this show and reminded myself to watch it all weekend. When all was said and done though, it was WAY over the top in terms of drama build up and deceptive commentary. I doubt I'll watch it again.

Just my $.02. I HAVE been watching quite a bit of Ice Pilots though! Would love to fly that C-46 and DC-3!!

I watched it over the weekend, it had more BS than a Texas Livestock Market. That was an hour of my life wasted!

I watched it over the weekend, it had more BS than a Texas Livestock Market. That was an hour of my life wasted!

That's harsh. Think of the entertainment value of bashing it on this forum. :rolleyes:

I did one really fun 'sneak off the dock' repo from a guys back yard... while he was having a party out back! Rule is you can't cause a public disturbance until you have the vessel clear of the dock, so it takes two guys (or my ex girlfriend in this case) and a small tow boat to ninja it off the dock. That wasn't for the camera though but it was the most fun (I was repoing the "old boat" the "new boat" which the same company financed, 35' larger, was still there, what a f-ed up place the finance industry is), we just cruised along, stopped behind the boat, I did the ninja crawl and released the power and lines and she pulled me off, I found the keys and fired it up, "Hey, where you going with my boat?!?" me waiving papers "Call your banker, he said he needed it." :D

WARNING - NECROPOST!
(Last post prior to this one was in February, 2012.)

Just FYI to anyone who cares: I notice what appear to be a couple episodes of "Airplane Repo" on before "Flying Wild Alaska" on the Discovery Channel. I haven't had a chance to see any episodes yet; while the concept of the show doesn't appeal, I may watch an episode anyway.

It appears that there were only about four episodes made. Every time it pops up on my guide it's one of the ones I've seen before.

That show is absolutely full of BS....always running from "security" (fbo vans), always worried about people getting suspicious of them, that ridiculous jean jacket with cameras in it....

They try to hype it up so much it ruins it.

That show is absolutely full of BS....always running from "security" (fbo vans), always worried about people getting suspicious of them, that ridiculous jean jacket with cameras in it....

They try to hype it up so much it ruins it.

If they did it realistically they'd never sell it.

they rerun stuff like that over and over - like the one about people owning luxury jets

Yea, seems very "made for TV". No one at the FBO gives a crap if you are repo'ing a plane. I also cannot see how you can legally or safety just jump in an unknown plane. Are all AD's complied with? Is the plane sitting because the owner didn't have the money to comply with one? Did someone remove the landing gear actuator for maintenance? How in the world could you tell the plane is airworthy without an A&P going through it?

The repo's I've seen are nothing like that. They just put a sticker on the doors saying "The bank owns this plane, if you open the door you are trespassing " and then gives the contact info for the repo place. The plane is then disabled (usually a boot-like device on the nose gear) and the plane then sits there for about a month or two. I assume if the owner never hands over the logs they tow it into a hanger and do a complete annual on it.

-Robert

Nope, first off, 95% of repos are voluntary, people hand you keys and logs. Second off, bank will never do an annual lol. Ferry permits and a thorough preflight ar what get you down the road.

I was wondering if it was really necessary to sneak around in the middle of the night, and if it was, why did they find it necessary to lie to the cop about their reason for being there? That BS about wanting to see Michael Jordan's plane was lame.

Last edited:
I was wondering if it was really necessary to sneak around in the middle of the night, and if it was, why did they find it necessary to lie to the cop about their reason for being there?

Several hundred boat and plane repos here.... Night accounts for maybe 2% of boat repos and no planes since the ferry permit is typically written "Day VFR". There is very rarely any sneaking around and if a cop shows up it saves me calling them when I have the property in possession (I have only once had a cop question me, I pulled the papers out of my pocket and said "repo", no problem.

Nope, first off, 95% of repos are voluntary, people hand you keys and logs. Second off, bank will never do an annual lol. Ferry permits and a thorough preflight ar what get you down the road.

Must be some helpful FSDO offices. Around here in California I can't imagine even asking for a ferry in this case. Tried to get one for a plane 1 week out of annual that had a 100 hr signed a month earlier. FSDO said "just annual it"!
So you ask for a ferry permit, have no idea if any ADs were ever done, don't know if it's ever been annualed and have no idea what parts could be missing??

Yep, ferry permit and a preflight unless I have the logs and the plane is in annual, then just preflight. It's the business.

How does one get into 'airplane repo'?

Back