Airplane Repo---TV show

I love the show but please, please, replace that epileptic camera man. Hold the camera still!!!! :mad2:

A Popovich has been advertising stuff for sale on this very site from time to time. I think it's the guy's son.

There have been two new shows about airplane repos this month. The Popovich show from last year was over dramatized but not total fiction.

These new episodes feature more 'colorful' repo guys, and as near as I can tell they are pure fiction.

None of the repo pilots can figure out how to get on the GA ramp. Half the show is the repo pilots hiking around the perimeter fence trying to come up with some clever scheme to sneak on to the airport. Because even country airports are more highly secured than Area 51.

These 'repos' consist of the repo pilot breaking into a hanger, stealing a tug, and flying away with the airplane.

There is a heart stopping moment then one of the repo pilots (the one with a pet leopard) find there are no radios in the Cessna. How can he possibly escape the scene of the crime with no radios?

Fortunately he has an automotive gps to use to find his way on a CAVU night.

Nobody bothers with ferry permits or anything like that.

I watched both episodes and feel very dirty.

LOL well put Jim. I loved it when the guy who took the 421 was trying to intimidate the Avionics guy who took the radios. The A&P just said eh so what get the hell out of my hangar. The best part was when the owner of the Citation 5 took the logs and flew the plane out from under the repo guys then when they tried to nail him somewhere outside Philly he did a touch and go and bugged out. It was a riot watching those guys get burned. I wonder if they ever got the plane as they certainly seem tenacious.

If I was in the aircraft repo biz I think I would carry a Garmin 396 and a Sporty's SP-400....

I told my wife the guy was a complete idiot for having a $900 headset but a $50 GPS and no handheld.

My tolerance for all of those so-called "reality" shows is pretty low. I dislike the manufactured "drama", not to mention the replay of half the pre-commercial bit after every (frequent, extended) commercial break. Anything on Discover or HGTV that I've seen seems to be made by the same bunch of kooks.

These new episodes feature more 'colorful' repo guys, and as near as I can tell they are pure fiction.
(Shooting bull with a repo friend of mine while glancing over that show on the TV)
- Check out that repo dude (about the guy with ..er.. artsy facial hair). How come you don't look like that?
- Max, come work for me - I'll pay you to do nothing but look like that, honest to God.

Heh.. Naaaaah...

My barber and his wife evidently all wrapped up about it, and I happened to stop in to get my melon trimmed the next day. He said he thought about me as he was watching it and knew that I would be able to explain how they did it, so I had to sit politely until he stopped to catch his breath before telling him I never watch that crap and it's all phony as a three-peckered goat.

a three-peckered goat.

Googled the above mentioned creature for educational purposes, somehow the attached picture was in one of the first results. Talk about thread drift.

Attachments

• 516zfv4gfTL.jpg
    516zfv4gfTL.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 8
Instead of "stealing" the aircraft, why can't the agents use something like the Denver Boot for cars to immobilize the aircraft?

My tolerance for all of those so-called "reality" shows is pretty low. I dislike the manufactured "drama", not to mention the replay of half the pre-commercial bit after every (frequent, extended) commercial break. Anything on Discover or HGTV that I've seen seems to be made by the same bunch of kooks.

Yep. :nonod:

Let's see, the customer wants a custom ______ and they only have 7 days to produce it, the owners have family issues and employee issues.

And there are what now? 5 different programs about groups of people searching for gold. And they use the same premise for each one. :rolleyes2:

And the phony pawn shop shows, the one in Vegas and the redneck version. :loco:

And then there are the fishing ones, crab fishing, swordfish fishing, tuna fishing, again all using the same format.

And then there are the "gun shows", again a bunch of crap all using the same tired format.

There's no "reality" in reality TV.:rolleyes:

It appears that there were only about four episodes made. Every time it pops up on my guide it's one of the ones I've seen before.

Yup, according to IMDB, they made three.

WARNING - NECROPOST!
(Last post prior to this one was in February, 2012.)

Just FYI to anyone who cares: I notice what appear to be a couple episodes of "Airplane Repo" on before "Flying Wild Alaska" on the Discovery Channel. I haven't had a chance to see any episodes yet; while the concept of the show doesn't appeal, I may watch an episode anyway.

Dang, I missed that this thread is "double necroposted" (or triple). Guess the bright red warning distracted me from the fact that this post was from July 2012.

Wayne, I had to carefully dry off my brand new keyboard after reading your post!

You're an astute guy, so I'm sure you have noticed that when someone asks "did you see that airplane repo show last night?" that your "nope" answer means you're about to get a word-for-word replay of at least the first 20 minutes.:wink2:

Wayne, I had to carefully dry off my brand new keyboard after reading your post!

None of the repo pilots can figure out how to get on the GA ramp. Half the show is the repo pilots hiking around the perimeter fence trying to come up with some clever scheme to sneak on to the airport. Because even country airports are more highly secured than Area 51.

I couldn't figure out why, in the previous series, they felt that they had to make up a story to explain to a law enforcement officer why they were checking out an airplane through the fence. If they told him they were repo agents, wouldn't the officer just say, "OK, let us know if you need anything"?

I see that Discovery Channel will be repeating some episodes on Saturday morning and next Thursday afternoon.

Googled the above mentioned creature for educational purposes, somehow the attached picture was in one of the first results. Talk about thread drift.
They also say " Luckier than a dog with 2 peckers "

Let's see, the customer wants a custom ______ and they only have 7 days to produce it, the owners have family issues and employee issues.

And there are what now? 5 different programs about groups of people searching for gold. And they use the same premise for each one. :rolleyes2:

And then there are the fishing ones, crab fishing, swordfish fishing, tuna fishing, again all using the same format.

And then there are the "gun shows", again a bunch of crap all using the same tired format.

Not to mention two -- or is it three now? -- different (but completely identical) "Love it or list it" shows. Each episode is indistinguishable from the one before.

And all of the "xxx Wars". Storage Wars, Property Wars, Stupid Reality Show Wars.

Sigh. I'd so love to just drop cable TV altogether. The only reason I don't has nothing to do with content, it's simply to preserve domestic tranquility.

They are now running a new version of the show featuring a few different (none of the Sage-Popovich guys from before). More in the cowboy Repo and Towing wars style that most of the other cable chow is.

Agreed.. Bad show !

They are now running a new version of the show featuring a few different (none of the Sage-Popovich guys from before). More in the cowboy Repo and Towing wars style that most of the other cable chow is.

The show isn't very representative of the people who really do this for a living.
Most will have the airport administration on board, as well as the local law enforcement. by showing the court order to repossess.
They will inform the owner/operator, by showing the order and require the logs and any other equipment be taken into custody by the representative of the lean holder.

The Sheriff is there to see that the court order is carried out, and the airport management is there to open any gate, hangar, that the owner/operator is unable or unwilling to do.

Tom, this kind of attitude is why you'll never make it in Hollywood!!:lol::lol:
I have never repo'd an airplane, but I have picked up my share of cars back when I was in the buy here-pay here business. I liked to block the car in, go to the door and ask for the keys, not all that hard. Rule number one in the repo business: NEVER leave the collateral unsecured!! I did watch part of the show last night, mostly making fun of it, but to see the guy grab the 2 inch binder that represented "the logbooks" of a Citation V and drive away was pretty funny. My 182 has thicker logbooks!:dunno: The credits say that "some parts are reinactements with actors" I'd say 90% of it is actors. If I wanted to know where an airplane was hangared at an airport, I'd ask the nice person behind the counter at the FBO! :D I looked at a 421 for a friend several years ago, I happened to be going to the airport where it was based. The FBO told me which hangar and WOW there it was! :rolleyes:
The show isn't very representative of the people who really do this for a living.
Most will have the airport administration on board, as well as the local law enforcement. by showing the court order to repossess.
They will inform the owner/operator, by showing the order and require the logs and any other equipment be taken into custody by the representative of the lean holder.

The Sheriff is there to see that the court order is carried out, and the airport management is there to open any gate, hangar, that the owner/operator is unable or unwilling to do.

More or less, the only repo I have witnessed the repo walked out to the plane, prop locked it and went about his business.

More or less, the only repo I have witnessed the repo walked out to the plane, prop locked it and went about his business.

Again, not very exciting. :no:
I can't imagine what people would do seeing people peering around the corner, or looking through hangar windows without any explanation. Easier to say I'm here to repo N334XX it's a red 414 based here, Bob Jones flies it, do you know which hangar it's in?

Yep, now I do get trying to quietly locate the plane, especially the jets that can be out of the country toot sweet. But once you know where it is just do the job.

You forgot the manhunt and "justice" shows where every police department and bounty hunter has at least two full weeks to chase down ONE person.

;)

Tom has it right. When I was younger I worked on a team repossessing all sorts of planes from king airs to 707's and TU-114's, for the most part in africa but some in the middle east and eastern europe. Mostly they had not been returned when the lease expired. You would have had a very hard time filming what we did and making it into something anyone would want to watch. You'd have a better shot making a TV show out of my current cubicle-dwelling job.

The credits say that "some parts are reenactments with actors" I'd say 90% of it is actors.

From what I have been able to tell from a little research the scenes are completely fabricated. The underlying story is true, but the show is 100% reenactment.

That would explain how go pro cameras came to be mounted under the fuselage of the 172 and Lear 55 in the midst of the explosive high danger and drama. :D

Reality shows are uniformly bad, but this one is reeealy bad.

The shows with Nick Popovich are Emmy winners compared to this one. Sheesh.

The only reality in reality shows are:

They are not real

They are cheap to make

They make money

When they don't make money, they vanish

Cheers

LOL well put Jim. I loved it when the guy who took the 421 was trying to intimidate the Avionics guy who took the radios. The A&P just said eh so what get the hell out of my hangar. The best part was when the owner of the Citation 5 took the logs and flew the plane out from under the repo guys then when they tried to nail him somewhere outside Philly he did a touch and go and bugged out. It was a riot watching those guys get burned. I wonder if they ever got the plane as they certainly seem tenacious.

On the gig with no radios, I swear in two frames I saw some sort of radio to the right of the empty tray. On the left display is was tuned to 120.xx something .

I was watching it ondemand so the pause function was rather delayed.

at least the show has airplanes…:yes:

There are worse…

32971.jpg

I would like to have the 30 min. of my life back watching this show

I used to do boat repo in the southwest in the 80s. Sometimes it would get a little sketchy cause when the boat is in the water, the owner is in it or near it. My favorite was a Slickcraft on lake Mead. The guy was at the boat dock, and I told the marina I was going to repo it. The marina guy said wait till he pays his fuel bill. I walk out to the boat and check the hull ID, and the owner comes running back, tosses me off the back, and motors off at high speed in a no wake. The marina guy pulls me out, calls the patrol on his radio, they stop the guy, tow his boat back to the marina, the guy pays his fuel bill(77 gal), I take the boat, and he gets arrested. Bad day at the lake.

In the one where the mechanic wouldn't give back the radios until he was paid for his work, I would think that the bank would come out ahead by having the repo guy pay the repair bill.

As for "The guy turned off the runway lights on me," I'm betting that they were pilot-controlled lights that just timed out, and that it was just more BS phony drama.

In the one where the mechanic wouldn't give back the radios until he was paid for his work, I would think that the bank would come out ahead by having the repo guy pay the repair bill.

As for "The guy turned off the runway lights on me," I'm betting that they were pilot-controlled lights that just timed out, and that it was just more BS phony drama.

I know with car repo's the bank will usually pay for repairs completed on the vehicle IF the car is at the shop, mechanics lien.;) The example on the show was the guy took the radios out of the plane after releasing it to the owner, methinks the avionics guy, if that were the actual case, would be screwed.:mad2: I can't imagine a shop releasing the airplane and the flight manual supplements without payment, unless the guys check bounced.:dunno:
I can't see anyone turning off the runway lights while a plane is taking off? :dunno:

I can't see anyone turning off the runway lights while a plane is taking off? :dunno:

I'm not saying no one could ever do it on purpose, just that the lights timing out is a much more common occurrence. I also don't see what motive the mechanic would have for doing it, since he still had what I presume were some pretty expensive avionics.

Considering he had no way of turning them back on from the plane, they did most likely just time out.

And speaking of no way to turn on the lights, what idiot flies a strange airplane without a handheld comm and GPS??:dunno:

Back