Airplane purchase for future upgrades

JC565

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mad_Scientist_565
Hey folks,

I've decided, and he budget is about right, to buy an airplane to train and get to 250 in. I have found several cessnas and pipers with good time and prices on them.

Before I buy one of these trainers, is there an air plane thats commonly used for engine upgrades? In other words, it's it possible to buy a piston single thats commonly upgraded to a turbocharged engine or Allison? What I'm hoping I can do is at major overhaul, go ahead and replace the engine and not the entire craft, since about that time, my load and budget will both be increased. I know this is common with a few Twins, but those are way to pricey for me.

If the best fits for this are experimentals or lancairs, Id prefer to sell and buy another..

Thanks for comments

Upgrading a piston engine to a turbine is very expensive. You'd be better going the EXP route.

My recommendation for a certified airplane however, would be a C210.

I figured it would be.. Hence the question if there was a "common" route. Figured that would be the 'cheapest'

I Like the 210s

To train and build first 250 hours? C150/152, or some older taildraggers.

i Should Add It Will Be used For Lots Of "half country" Trips With Family. .

I figured as much... I'll just plan on upgrading then. Thanks.

I figured it would be.. Hence the question if there was a "common" route. Figured that would be the 'cheapest'

I Like the 210s
The average bear doesn't take that upon themselves. Not very common.

Just get a Comanche 400, then when it's overhaul time get the Turbo normalized STC for the big 720, get some o2 and let the bird soar.

They can upgrade a 210 to turbine,if you have the dollars,also you can upgrade a beech 36.

Since the recommendation seems to always be: "Don't ever upgrade, just sell the prop and buy a used turbine", you'd have to wonder how all these used Silver Eagles and JetProps came into existence in the first place...

Same thing goes for glass panels on older models.

Back