Airplane Property Tax

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
This question is relative to the state of Georgia. I have always had my airplane based in my county of residence. A neighboring county is building new hangars at their airport and I was approached about moving my airplane since we don't have any hangars or fuel at our airport. It is only nine extra minutes drive to the other airport so I am seriously considering the move. Do you typically pay property tax based on where the airplane is based, the county of my residence or will I be faced with having to pay tax to both counties?

Where the wheels rest is where the check is written here in AR. I had my plane in Falkner Co but lived in Conway Co. Yes they do check tail numbers occasionally. They want all they can get.

Yep, where the plane is based is where you pay the taxes. That's what I've done in two different GA areas.

I live in two states ,I pay in the one the aircraft is registered in. You have to do the numbers.

What is the mill rate in the other county ? What is their assessment process ?

If you talk to them up front, you may be able to get a more favorable assessment than you have right now. Ask them how they assess aircraft, most just have a copy of the Blue Book or a subscription to the web service.

Back