Airplane makes accidental vertical takeoff

That makes you wonder how well it was tied down. I've seen so many planes tied down with what is essentially a loose knot that will come loose at the first minor tug.

That makes you wonder how well it was tied down. I've seen so many planes tied down with what is essentially a loose knot that will come loose at the first minor tug.
From the video I don't think it was tied down at all.

It also looks like the person to park the plane did the ole seatbelt to hold the yoke back trick. That sets up the elevator into a position such that the nose will pitch up when a strong wind blows over it. I prefer to keep my control yoke pushed as far forward as possible to push the weight onto the nose in a strong wind.

Oh Man......................... That just hurts to watch the video......

Some ones hard work gets trashed.:nonod::nonod::nonod::nonod::sad::mad:

Ben..

Ps... Looking close at the folliage in the background it appears like the blast came from a taxiing jet directly in front of the small plane. IMHO.:dunno::dunno::dunno:

A similar thing happened to me when I was a student. It was a windy day and my instructor said to go pre-flight the plane. So, I went out and started the pre-flight. The first tie-down on the left wing was difficult to get off, so I left it for last. I got the right wing tie down off, and then moved to the tail. Just as I got the tail tie-down loose, a big gust of wind came up and lifted the plane as I was holding onto the tail. I think the only thing that kept it from going over was that left wing tie-down that I couldn't get off. The tie-down ring on the wing was bent a bit. I went back in and told the instructor and he said OK, lets go fly!

Radio Controlled Airplane?

It's obviously photoshopped - just like everything else that does not meet the standard image or behavior that the mass population expects.

I've done near vertical takeoffs and landings in 150's and 172's before. All you need is a good stiff breeze.

Back