Airplane in the shop for new avionics...I cant wait

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
So I just put the Comanche in the shop yesterday to receive some much needed avionics. I am removing most of the old Narcos and installing a GNC-355 with a G5/HSI and a RS-232 Altitude encoder.

My panel right now is:

Narco audio panel - works well and will stay in the panel
Narco 850+ com #1 - works extremely well
Narco 120 com #2 - works well but single radio and is old
Apollo IImorrow Nav - never used it but it does work
Garmin GTX330 transponder - installed this year and works well

New panel:

Narco audio panel - I know its old but it works really well and I dont want to spend the money just yet to replace it but its on my list.

Garmin GNC355 - com #1
Narco 850+ com#2
Garmin GTX330

Attachments

• Dash.PNG
    Dash.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 111
Always exciting to get something new in the panel. Looking forward to the "after" pics.

So the avionics are installed but my avionics guy was having trouble connecting the G5 to the GNC355 so the G5 can be used as an HSI. He said that the RS232 connector will not connect with only the GMU11 and I need GAD29b. Thankfully my buddy had one on hand that I bought form him and the install should be done soon.

I just got the plane out of the avionics shop today but she is still in annual so no flying yet but here is the new panel.

Attachments

• 6AF01B8E-1F04-437D-B90E-3ADEF0B8FE78.jpeg
    6AF01B8E-1F04-437D-B90E-3ADEF0B8FE78.jpeg
    35.2 KB · Views: 91
My Piper has an all narco setup also including the transponder. Radios work fine with no issues but I know my transponder has to go eventually. I looked at a the garmin unit also. I’m curious, your plane has been down for two mo the with this? Also, if possible can you shoot me the estimated cost with install, even if it’s a dm?

My Piper has an all narco setup also including the transponder. Radios work fine with no issues but I know my transponder has to go eventually. I looked at a the garmin unit also. I’m curious, your plane has been down for two mo the with this? Also, if possible can you shoot me the estimated cost with install, even if it’s a dm?

It was down for two months because the guy who does the install is an older gentlemen and he does an outstanding job but does not charge alot. Therefore, he is word of mouth only but also does not work fast so if you have more time than money then he is the guy ti go with.

I just got her back today and the update is complete.

Attachments

• 25E2BBA4-BD58-41FE-8384-F1C84555BBCA.jpeg
    25E2BBA4-BD58-41FE-8384-F1C84555BBCA.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: YKA
I just got her back today and the update is complete.

Nice looking setup. I have a question: Why is the G5 over near the radio stack? It looks like it would be covered (at least partially) by whatever goes in that mount.

Nice package for sure.

My avionics guy recommended that since I was only getting one G5 then why not keep the old vacuum gauges for back up. If I had gotten two G5s then I could have gotten rid of the vacuum system but since only one then no. Someday when I buy another G5 then Ill move it over when I dump my steam gauges.

The mount is for my phone and actually blocks nothing

My avionics guy recommended that since I was only getting one G5 then why not keep the old vacuum gauges for back up. If I had gotten two G5s then I could have gotten rid of the vacuum system but since only one then no. Someday when I buy another G5 then Ill move it over when I dump my steam gauges.

The mount is for my phone and actually blocks nothing

Picture angles can be misleading. I've spent just a few hours with two G5s for some IR training and they are nice once you get used to all the info that's there.

Its amazing how difficult it is to get used to the new avionics. I seem to be so much busier in the cockpit. Im sure that will change as I get used to it more and more but I was so used to flying with my old stuff.

Yes. I switched between an Aspen equipped plane and one with dual G5’s. Having been “brought up” on steam just figuring out (and remembering where to look) was a challenge at first. It’s all there in a very compact space. But at first it was daunting.

Very nice. We were supposed to be in the shop Jan 1 but they're backed up and now it's looking like end of 1st quarter earliest. Oh well...

I had the Garmin 335 (ADSB out) installed in a day. Included the GPS antenna and everything else. I think the paperwork took as much time as the install. Of course this was an avionics shop that does it all day, all the time, and knows all the details for installs. Total was $5K for everything. Perhaps a bit high (or not) but done right and on time. Plus the owner took me out to lunch when I dropped of the cherokee. Would have taken me to lunch when I picked it up, but I had to get going as soon as possible - late June on the west side of the Colorado mountains. Density altitude will get ya....

Next step, perhaps this spring, is similar to JD - the 355 and G5 HSI, with all the stuff needed. Shop quoted me $15K for everything, less than a week for the install.

Back