Airplane down in NW Georgia

Wow, I was flying in NW GA today. A couple of planes, several airports. Very sad...

Mike

Saw video of the plane on the news. Front was completely smashed in and tail was intact. Probably hit the power lines and went nose first from there. I really wish they'd start burying power lines.

According to the airport rumor mill, this was a very experienced AG pilot doing a low pass near a friend’s house, where he snagged a wire.

Flying low can be fun, but comes with a lot of additional risk.

Last edited:
Sitting in a FBO talking to guys who know him. He would apparently frequently scout fields to dust with his husky.

very well could be that is what he was doing at the time.

Well respected, liked, and missed.

Tools

Sitting in a FBO talking to guys who know him. He would apparently frequently scout fields to dust with his husky.

Tools

You based out of Rome?

Nope. Lafayette and Marion County. Happened to be in Scottsboro. They said he was their biggest fuel customer.

Tools

What a terrible accident. :(
RIP
We lost a very well known and experienced local aerobatic pilot to the same thing last fall; hooked a wire flying parallel and offset from a friends private strip.
It's the thing that most concerns me when I am out in the Dawg, especially line river crossings when I am flying the sandbars. I really try to tap local knowledge from pilots any time I am flying someplace I have not been before.

Tools
According to his mayday call he was out of fuel. I was flying at the time of his crash and just so happened to be on the same frequency.

Back