Want To Buy Airplane cover for Apache or engine plugs

SinkorSwim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HFC1969
Needing an airplane cover for my 1959 Apache, also could use some engine plugs for the original engine nacelles. Just thought I would ask before I ordered new.

If you are a hobbyist, look to sew your own! Im doing a cowl cover for my cessna 140 right now. Taught myself to sew to make boat seats for the family pontoon... time consuming but I find it enjoyable relaxing time...

Where did you find the material?

Local Fabric shop.

When I first did the boat seats i did a lot of googling and youtubing to learn. The basics are quite simple, which a cover really is pretty basic, so would plugs, in terms of its not intricate- we aren't making wedding dress with all sorts of fancy stitching and such. One thing that was suggested was for heavy material to buy an OLD machine, pre 60's where they are all metal, if ones not going to invest in a commercial machine. I got mine for $25 at a local thrift shop, its literally from 1920! Owners manual brags "The ease of sewing with electricity"lol. The nice thing is with a machine that old, it still has an "inertia wheel" So for curves or tight spots I can spin it by hand and go real slow being I'm not a seasoned ace...

Mine, I bought 4 yards each of a jacket liner material, kind of silky with a light insulation on back, then a layer of Thinsulate, and for a shell a nylon back pack type material... I used some real cheap blankets to lay over the plane and used pins and markers to make a pattern, stitched it up, went and fitted it, adjusted some lines a time or two. Then cut it apart for my pattern for finished product.

In the end I will have an insulated cowl cover, as well as prop and spinner covers for about $125... To buy insulated versions from Bruce's would be $600+... For me and my little rig thats 25 hours worth of Avgas! Plus too crappy to fly much so I've been sitting at night at the dining room table watching TV sewing away. I'll post ya some pics. If you are interested in biting it off, I'd give you any advice you need- though its coming from a novice thats figuring it out as I go :)

216C67DC-BA2D-43EE-B2EB-E8B39EE1AFF4.jpeg This is the front piece before attaching it to the “wrap”F8B19DCC-DA1B-45A4-8E8A-1049E531CA19.jpeg this is up close to part the jacket liner is facing up.CFC80823-8A7A-4F56-AA5E-F97185F68E16.jpeg
This is where it’s at today the wrap portion is sewed to the front, I stopped by and test fit it on my way to work and made some marks for finishing the bottom pieces where they meet and the “back” of the wrap where it sits on cowl. I’ll finish it hopefully this week....

You could easily apply same principles to make whatever cover you needed...

Back