Airplane camping tips, tricks, equipment, and advice ...

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
O.k., we have a skywagon and we have never camped overnight with it. I know, blasphemy, but I intend to rectify that. :redface:

What I'm looking for is advice what to take that is useful but not overkill. What little things that make life comfy and enjoyable but not lugging things around we'll never use. For example, lets start with a two night stay.

Tent: check
Folding chairs: check
Tie downs: check
TP : check

What else besides food and drink? Or I should ask, what else do you take? A friend said take a tarp and stretch it over the wing, but I've also heard not to do this. Any advice you beautiful smart plane packers care to give us would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance .... :)

Air mattress with battery operated pump
Blankets. ( take an extra one )
Bug spray
First aid kit
Sun block
Very small jump pack to charge phones and ipads and run fan
Pillow
Battery operated fan if it is hot
Tarp to place on ground under tent
Paper towels
Wet wipes
Personal lubricant ( some spouses become amorous in tents )
Extra medications in case you are gone longer than planned
Extra cash
Girlfriend. ( unless your wife is going )
12 volt coffee pot. ( gotta have caffeine first thing )
Extra ropes for tent in case of tstorms
Extra tent pegs
Plastic bags for dirty socks ( you really don't want to smell them in the tent or plane )
Toilet tissue for the midnight run into the bushes ( wet wipes burn like hell )

Toilet tissue for the midnight run into the bushes ( wet wipes burn like hell )

It's going to be dark when you do that, and there's no flashlight on your list. I suppose you could use the plane's strobes?

Well some of it is going to depend on the location. Most of the airplane camping I have done, you need to lug the gear at least several hundred yards from the plane. When it is just me, I have gotten in the habit of using my backpacking gear with maybe a few extras like maybe a small ice chest. I am not an ultra light backpacker, though, so my light gear is still pretty comfy. When I go with my GF, I need to pack a little heavier, such as a bigger tent, a real stove and folding chairs (my backpacking gear has a device for using my air mattress as a chair). My advice is to keep it as light and portable as you can. A good tent light is handy, as well.

Oh, for a light stove, get a JetBoil and use the Starbuck Via instant coffee. Today's backpacking freeze dried stuff is actually pretty good (shop for the gourmet stuff online) and you can just pour the boiling water in the bag, so no cleanup. The big ice chest, full camp stove, cook table, propane, and pots and pans are going to add a lot of gear to huck around. Better to use it for the tent and air mattresses.

Good stuff and keep it coming.

What about a tarp over the wing? I've heard yeah and nay about it.

I guess it could scratch or chafe?

Usta make something called a 'WingaBago'. It was a semi-tent that went over a plane wing. Cool stuff.

Anyway, back to plane camping.

Hand axe with hammer and nail puller on it.
Folding army shovel/pick combo with canvas cover
22 plinker/carbine
Extra socks
Inner tube for main gear, maybe a tire.
Needle and thread
Scuba knife in sheath
Hand tools, combo blade/phillips driver, pliers, adj wrench, etc
Large trash bags(rain poncho)
Roll of duct tape(small)

Toss all this stuff in a 3-4 gallon plastic bucket and away you go!

I am in CA, so I have yet to see any camping right on the field. The few spots around here, you need to park the plane and haul your gear to the camp spot. Oceano was a couple hundred yards, Shelter Cove was probably a quarter mile, Columbia is a few hundred yards and Georgetown is across the runway, maybe a quarter mile. On the bright side, most of these have full campsites with a fire pit and picnic bench (not Oceano, though).

Usta make something called a 'WingaBago'. It was a semi-tent that went over a plane wing. Cool stuff.

Anyway, back to plane camping.

Hand axe with hammer and nail puller on it.
Folding army shovel/pick combo with canvas cover
22 plinker/carbine
Extra socks
Inner tube for main gear, maybe a tire.
Needle and thread
Scuba knife in sheath
Hand tools, combo blade/phillips driver, pliers, adj wrench, etc
Large trash bags(rain poncho)
Roll of duct tape(small)

Toss all this stuff in a 3-4 gallon plastic bucket and away you go!

Gotta have the duct tape :yes:

Quality tent pegs, not the junk that came with the tent.
Extra batteries.
Another flashlight.

We threw a tarp over the wing. Need lots of pegs and rope to attach the ends to the ground. We have a stall dam across the middle of each wing, so we got some foam hot water pipe insulation tubes and shoved them down over the dams to protect them from the tarp. Did the same with the trailing edge of the ailerons, but if I recall correctly, those would not stay on. Pitched tents under the tarp.

A few years ago I made this list for Oshkosh. Some doesn't apply to you, of course.
Airplane

Tarp for wing
Ties for tarp
Stakes for tarp
Stall Dam & aileron bumpers
Tape for bumpers
Stakes for Airplane
Tie-Down Ropes
Fresh Batteries
Oxygen equipment

Camping

Tent
2 cots
4 sleeping bags
2 space blankets
2 folding chairs
Flashlight
Folding Table
Sewing Kit

Food

Tuna fish
Canned Chicken
Relish packets, Mayo packets
Soda Crackers
Sugar-coated Wheat Thins
Powdered Milk
Canned Fruit (pull top)
Applesauce
Dried Fruit and Nuts
Tea Bags
Sun Tea Jug
Water Jug
4 Plates
Bowl / cups
Plastic Forks, Spoons, Knives

Clothing & Personal

Shorts
T-Shirts
Hats
Long-Sleeve Shirts
Sweater
Warm Sleep Clothes
Underwear
Dirty Clothing bag
Hairbrush
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Towel, soap, shampoo, shower shoes

Walking Around

Portable Chair with long string so I don't leave it behind
Back Pack
Sun Lotion
Foldup Raingear
Medication, aspirin, antacid

Tent and air mattress (queen size)
Steaks for tent
Steaks for plane

Steaks or rack of lamb
Wood for fire & BBQ (Braai style)
Grid for BBQ

12G shotgun & pigeons & thrower

Good brews

Blankets & pillows

Good folks

DONE

Last edited:
So, a DC3 should just about carry it all, eh.

Yep. We have been camping 3 times in our -10 with four of us. I purchase all lightweight gear and still only able to take about a third of what we would like to take. Once the kids are off to college, we will have lots of room. Then I think we will just stay in a hotel.

So, a DC3 should just about carry it all, eh.

Thanks to everyone, but I was gonna say, have they looked at the baggage area in a 180 or 182?

Three of us 200lb. porkers are planning on loading into the wagon and going to KOSH this year.

With 81 gallons of extended tanks full, 600lbs. of men, and all the gear, I may break out the weight and balance charts ... or tow a trailer or something .. :rofl:

Escalante Utah (south) IL7 has a wonderful new free campground right on the field, with a cook shack with power, BBQ, water, fridge, microwave. Nice pilot lounge, too.
And Payson AZ (KPAN) has on-site camping.

I have done a buttload of camping in my time. I have never seen anyone sewing.

Depends on what you need to sew.

We were camping on the beach in WA state in the mid-80s. Two planes, four people. After a few sips of warming alcohol, my buddy grabbed another stick to toss on the fire. He caught the wood wrong and sliced into his inner arm pretty nice. About 3" gash. I'm no MD, but I put 9 stitches in his arm that night, after a liberal dosing of said alcohol all around. When we got back, the MD said it was decent work, but not expert(duh).

Lake Powell around 2000. Kid(not mine, just some folks nearby) kneeboarding, falls and the metal skeg tears his back up some. We tried duct tape, but it just wouldn't stop leaking. More alcohol, and more stitches. Good to go for a while. He let it heal, and dry out and was going again a few days later. I got a thank you bottle of Drambuie from him when we got home.

Weight: 10-15grams, size 11x28x2mm. Utility pretty high.

YMMV

Coleman Peak 1 dual fuel backpacker stove so you can burn avgas.

For cooking you just need the grid, make a fire with wood and stack rocks around it till its the right height/temp, then chuck the grid on and cook.

Wife and I planned a trip to 6Y9 last labor day and intended to sleep in a tent. Fortunately we were able to sleep in the old school house, following is the list I put together for that trip;

There are rumors that people at the airport could hear the theme from the Beverly Hillbillies when I was loading up the Arrow.

[FONT=&quot]6Y9 Fly-In Camping List[/FONT]
Friday, August 09, 2013
8:01 AM
Water, Just a few bottles for the flight, 10#
Take Cash, $500.00
Clothes pins
Dish towels and rags, Delete
Coleman Fuel, Delete
Propane, Delete
Lantern, 3#
Extra Mantels
Coleman stove, Delete
Flatware, plates, cups
Spatula, Delete
Tent 1 with plastic, 11.5#
Tent 2 with plastic, 7#
Flashlights
Large air mattress and pump, 11.2#
Pump for mattresses, 2#
First aid kit, 2#
Food TBD
Tim clothing, 9.8#
Tie downs for airplane, anchors and ropes, 8#
Bug spray
Batteries, aa, aaa, and d
Folding Chairs (3), 6.4# each
Sleeping Bag, Alex, 4.2#
Sleeping Bag Double, with blankets, 15#
Cooler, Small with Buckeyes, 5#
Aircraft cover, 5#
Supply box with rags, paper towels, oil, and funnel, 8#
Tote with gust locks, cowl plugs, tire chocks, 7.4#
Battery cables, 5.2#
Tool bag, xx

We decided to not cook and ate at restaurants so some of the stuff was deleted. You can also see weights of the items for W&B,

I took one of the rear seats out of the Arrow and figured I had about 150# of gear on board.

[FONT=&quot]6Y9 Fly-In Camping List[/FONT]

Take Cash, $500.00

That's not near enough to tip the stri....errrr, ummm, what happens in Sidnaw stays in Sidnaw.

Speaking of Stripers, I found we have a striping machine at work that I can use to paint stripes into my hangar. Great help for lining the airplane up when putting it away.

I am positive that is what you were talking about!!!!!!

I think I need a bigger plane.
Or I need to camp out in a Marriott and bring my credit card.

We threw a tarp over the wing. Need lots of pegs and rope to attach the ends to the ground. We have a stall dam across the middle of each wing, so we got some foam hot water pipe insulation tubes and shoved them down over the dams to protect them from the tarp. Did the same with the trailing edge of the ailerons, but if I recall correctly, those would not stay on. Pitched tents under the tarp.

A few years ago I made this list for Oshkosh. Some doesn't apply to you, of course.
Airplane

Tarp for wing
Ties for tarp
Stakes for tarp
Stall Dam & aileron bumpers
Tape for bumpers
Stakes for Airplane
Tie-Down Ropes
Fresh Batteries
Oxygen equipment

Camping

Tent
2 cots
4 sleeping bags
2 space blankets
2 folding chairs
Flashlight
Folding Table
Sewing Kit

Food

Tuna fish
Canned Chicken
Relish packets, Mayo packets
Soda Crackers
Sugar-coated Wheat Thins
Powdered Milk
Canned Fruit (pull top)
Applesauce
Dried Fruit and Nuts
Tea Bags
Sun Tea Jug
Water Jug
4 Plates
Bowl / cups
Plastic Forks, Spoons, Knives

Clothing & Personal

Shorts
T-Shirts
Hats
Long-Sleeve Shirts
Sweater
Warm Sleep Clothes
Underwear
Dirty Clothing bag
Hairbrush
Toothbrush & toothpaste
Towel, soap, shampoo, shower shoes

Walking Around

Portable Chair with long string so I don't leave it behind
Back Pack
Sun Lotion
Foldup Raingear
Medication, aspirin, antacid

I took a nasty spill off a log one time and ripped a 4 inch slice in my thigh. My wife used her sewing kit to sew it up. I used scotch as a sedative and a disinfectant. It still got infected but it didn't hurt too much. Until we got home that is.

With this list of stuff getting longer, you might consider adding one of these:

montage_22345.jpg

I think I need a bigger plane.
Or I need to camp out in a Marriott and bring my credit card.

All of it went into the back of the C-172. Buy and pack with weight and volume in mind.

One might get the impression from this thread that pilots like lists.

VERY Rural... but....

Pack meat, chips, snacks, plenty of adult beverages, flashlight, folding chairs and either a tent or a tarp over the wing . Lap top and enjoy life in the sticks.. Flight plan to Johnson Creek at a time when there are no fly ins scheduled...

As for the tarp, I put down a lightweight blanket over the wing to protect to paint and tarp over that.. YMMV...;)

Great lists and items. Thanks FBH. I'd never have thought of that... my plane is polished, and I sure don't want to bugger it up.

What we're planning on doing is camping out a few nights at KOSH. We have a college dorm room available every night, but I want some experience camping with the plane, and for fun, so with that in mind, what would you take for just a night or two or three with the plane at Oshkosh?

So far, three of us are going in the wagon. Our older friend has the dorm room in his name, and he'll probably stay there every night, but my son and I want to camp out and give him some space if we can. :)

Depends on what you need to sew.

. . . He caught the wood wrong and sliced into his inner arm pretty nice. About 3" gash. I'm no MD, but I put 9 stitches in his arm . . .

. . . Kid(not mine, just some folks nearby) kneeboarding, falls and the metal skeg tears his back up some. We tried duct tape, but it just wouldn't stop leaking. More alcohol, and more stitches . . .

I took a nasty spill off a log one time and ripped a 4 inch slice in my thigh. My wife used her sewing kit to sew it up. . .

Point taken, but that is why I have a suture kit as part of the first aid pack. Used it more that I would have liked, but glad it was there.

Point taken, but that is why I have a suture kit as part of the first aid pack. Used it more that I would have liked, but glad it was there.

You haven't done any sewing, but you've done -- sutures?

whatev dude.

I use a tarp over the wing every year at OSH. Once with our 172 and the rest of the time with the Citabria. I put a thin blanket under the tarp to keep it from rubbing the wing...it's worked great for me over the years.

It's amazing how much I can get in the Citabria for camping at OSH.

Attached are a few photos. One of them includes 5 PoA guys. :)

Attachments

• Citabria camp.JPG
    Citabria camp.JPG
    336.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Guys at my plane at OSH.JPG
    Guys at my plane at OSH.JPG
    865.5 KB · Views: 84
I use a tarp over the wing every year at OSH. Once with our 172 and the rest of the time with the Citabria. I put a thin blanket under the tarp to keep it from rubbing the wing...it's worked great for me over the years.

It's amazing how much I can get in the Citabria for camping at OSH.

Attached are a few photos. One of them includes 5 PoA guys. :)

Thanks. Pictures say a lot.

Is that fabric? And what size is it? Where to find it? :redface:

This is my son and I's first trip to airventure, and we're looking forward to it. I'm an EAA member, and have a week pass. I'm assuming they let you camp right at your plane. I don't know where we'll be parking, but I'd like to get wherever the skywagons are or wherever's a good place to park and camp. :yes:

I'm glad to see that someone [thanks, Aunt Peggie!] finally mentioned sleeping bags. Sure does make sleeping at night more comfortable.

Take hiking gear, not "car camping" or "camping trailer" gear--this will save both space and weight. I do not recommend using your strobe as a night light unless you are able to hand-prop your plane to depart.

On the other hand, I put my camping gear in a friend's trailer, and pitched the tent next to him at Sun-n-Fun. Had no problems with space, weight, balance or items left behind, besides a few "didn't think of it until after we left" items.

Back