Airplane Camping, North Fox Island, and an Instrument Approach to Minimums

rwellner98

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
rw2
Had a blast camping at North Fox again. Went to the wooden boat show in Hessel and was amazed by the quality of the boats there. Then shot an approach to minimums into Lone Rock to finish the trip home.

That looks like a ton of fun.

I don’t consistently fly a plane that has an autopilot, so I’ve never learned to count on one for an approach. I’m going to have to work on that. I would have been stressed planning that diversion while IMC.

Can you get weather on the ground at North Fox, or do you just launch and figure it out in the air?

I don’t consistently fly a plane that has an autopilot, so I’ve never learned to count on one for an approach. I’m going to have to work on that. I would have been stressed planning that diversion while IMC.

Can you get weather on the ground at North Fox, or do you just launch and figure it out in the air?
There is no cell service on the ground at North Fox Island.

Great video video, Rich! Will you be at 6Y9 this weekend?

There is no cell service on the ground at North Fox Island.
Actually, there is. You have to walk to the picnic table on top of the dune, on the south side of the island. I get 3 bars there, have made calls, etc. Verizon.

I set my Stratus on top of the mailbox (far southwest end of the airfield) and I can pick up the ADSB weather out of traverse city.

A good signal at North Fox is difficult or impossible, depending on who your service provider is. Which is why I was in the air and on my way before I started getting weather information sufficient to plan most of the flight. I also fly with an InReach, which gives the ability to get an idea of the forecast, but nothing detailed enough to plan the entire flight.

Great video video, Rich! Will you be at 6Y9 this weekend?

I wanted to. But no. I'm on my way to KANE this morning to drop the plane off for ADS-B.

Yeah, autopilots (even single axis ones like mine) make a huge difference flying single pilot IFR.

A good signal at North Fox is difficult or impossible, depending on who your service provider is.

I have been able to get text messages out from the north shore of the island. I wouldn't count on it though.

Back