Airplane auctions

MD11Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MD11Pilot
I watch a government website for auctions and am constantly amazed at the behavior of some guys. You can set your bid and place a higher bid that will automatically kick in if your first bid is outbid. I guess it is the Ebay auction frenzy of "your not going to outbid me" and all that happens is the plane goes for WAY more than it is worth. Not really a rant but just puzzled at the behavior of some folks...not a rant over.

could also be owners or accomplices of the owners bumping up the prices?

Maybe they know which airframes still have heroin in them. Is one of the bidders a little plastic heroin-addicted monkey?

Maybe they know which airframes still have heroin in them. Is one of the bidders a little plastic heroin-addicted monkey?

oh he would have out bid everyone except those damn bidding paddles are too heavy for him.

I guess it is the Ebay auction frenzy of "your not going to outbid me" and all that happens is the plane goes for WAY more than it is worth. Not really a rant but just puzzled at the behavior of some folks...not a rant over.

That is not exclusive to aircraft auctions. We auctioned off a bunch of surplus equipment from my company a few years ago and the auction company did a phenomenal job marketing it. It was an auction of quality equipment, not cheap-o crap. Many items for used gear closed higher than what I paid retail for the item new. It was stupid.

I watch a government website for auctions and am constantly amazed at the behavior of some guys. You can set your bid and place a higher bid that will automatically kick in if your first bid is outbid. I guess it is the Ebay auction frenzy of "your not going to outbid me" and all that happens is the plane goes for WAY more than it is worth. Not really a rant but just puzzled at the behavior of some folks...not a rant over.

Come watch some of the salvage auctions I attend to purchase cars/trucks for parts inventory. Some bids get so outrageous for a totaled and badly wrecked car that you wonder if they are buying paper (aka Legos title for stolen car) or they know where the drugs are hidden.

Come watch some of the salvage auctions I attend to purchase cars/trucks for parts inventory. Some bids get so outrageous for a totaled and badly wrecked car that you wonder if they are buying paper (aka Legos title for stolen car) or they know where the drugs are hidden.
Maybe somebody is willing to shell out mad cash for that window crank?

I saw a Beech Staggerwing (project) being auctioned that piqued my curiosity, so I put in a bid (no minimum raise listed). Within minutes the bid went $100.00 higher, so I bid $1.00 more, and in minutes it was raised. I thought the timing was a little odd, so I did a little investigating and found the owner of the plane was bidding it up himself. No idea why except maybe counting on someone losing his mind and over bidding. So I wrote a robot. At random intervals over the next week, the robot countered every bid until the one bid took it totally over the top, and then I quit, withdrawing my offer, leaving him with the high bid on his own plane. A month later it started over again. I turned the robot loose. Same result. The third time it appeared I sent him a note, through a couple of third world proxy servers, and told him I knew who he was and what he was doing. The auction went offline immediately.
This is why I need to fly as much as possible, to keep me away from the computer.

People are always looking for a deal and auctions give the impression that you are getting a deal! I watched a few trucks run through the lane in Nashville today that sold for more than I can sell them for retail! Plus you have to add auction fees and transportation, it costs me $6-800 above my bid for fees and transportation, then I have to run them through the shop! Once in a while you see a deal, but cheap to buy doesn't mean they are cheap to own. :)

The way some auctions work is the bid is automatically raised...up to a the max the guy bid. Dutch auction. Perfectly legit, its all done with software. Current bid is 500. You enter a bid say 1000. Current bid goes to 550. Someone else enters a bid of 600. Your bid automatically goes to 650. If someone enters a bid over 1000, his takes over. ETC. Ebay does it that way, or used to, things may have changed.

Back