Airplane Annonomous

Multiple plane ownership makes aviation cheap. A large chunk of cost is infrastructure costs. You can get a hangar that will hold four planes and an apartment for less than a house saving you money.:D

The fixed costs include a lot more than hangar space. Insurance and annuals for 4 planes would be tough, but if I could afford the planes, then the rest should be easy. Unfortunately, I can't afford multiple planes. The interest deduction on my house makes it a cheaper place to live than renting an apartment.

Actually, not being able to afford more than one plane is probably a blessing. The diversity in the kinds of planes I'm interested in would make it difficult to stay really proficient in each of them. Flying on the back side of the lift/drag curve in backcountry operations is a LOT different than doing acro, or high speed XC work. Each aspect of flying requires a different mindset with different operational approaches. I manage to get about 130 hours a year into what-ever plane I own, and that is enough to stay competent in that plane. Having more than one plane would not generate any more time for flying, and that 130 hours/year would not be sufficient to stay on top of my game in 3-4 VERY different aircraft types.

Still, it is fun to fantasize and to whine about not having those fantasies come to fruition on their own.

The fixed costs include a lot more than hangar space. Insurance and annuals for 4 planes would be tough, but if I could afford the planes, then the rest should be easy. Unfortunately, I can't afford multiple planes. The interest deduction on my house makes it a cheaper place to live than renting an apartment.

Actually, not being able to afford more than one plane is probably a blessing. The diversity in the kinds of planes I'm interested in would make it difficult to stay really proficient in each of them. Flying on the back side of the lift/drag curve in backcountry operations is a LOT different than doing acro, or high speed XC work. Each aspect of flying requires a different mindset with different operational approaches. I manage to get about 130 hours a year into what-ever plane I own, and that is enough to stay competent in that plane. Having more than one plane would not generate any more time for flying, and that 130 hours/year would not be sufficient to stay on top of my game in 3-4 VERY different aircraft types.

Still, it is fun to fantasize and to whine about not having those fantasies come to fruition on their own.

Actually, all the above are the same, it's just managing energy to different effect, the energy is the same and the controls are the same.

Back