AirNav Updates

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
Last night I was going through all my notes about my trip to North Carolina and back. Once they were orgainzed I started inputting my thoughts at AirNav.com and updating the fuel prices. I noticed that there are large gaps in some of this info. Since it only gets updated when people like us do it I was wondering why there are not more updates. I try to write something everytime I visit a place or buy fuel. Is that considered unusual?

smigaldi said:
Last night I was going through all my notes about my trip to North Carolina and back. Once they were orgainzed I started inputting my thoughts at AirNav.com and updating the fuel prices. I noticed that there are large gaps in some of this info. Since it only gets updated when people like us do it I was wondering why there are not more updates. I try to write something everytime I visit a place or buy fuel. Is that considered unusual?
I was planning to update Airnav myself.

I think one issue is when Paulo made detailed information in FBO and restaurant listings pay only, it cut down on some useful info.

The $100 site went subscription only, but claims 50,000 subscribers. In his dreams. There are barely 50,000 pilots online. That guy already broke all kinds of decency rules by putting (C)s and publishing a book with information 100% provided by volunteers.

You aren't going to have current and useful information if you make people pay to provide it. Get it?

That's why I'm almost certain that Angie's List, a good idea, is not going to have enough current info to make it worth the subscription. When you visit and notice that you can't see what information they have until you subscribe for a year, alarm bells go off.

Bruce subscribes to the service that will send you fuel prices along a route, where the data comes from a guy using his call center to call the FBOs and ask.

Last edited:
I try to update the prices on AirNav at every airport I visit. These days prices over a week old are practically useless, except for the fact that FBO's that are historically inexpensive tend to stay that way.

If everyone here would update at least his home base once a week, it would be a great help.

Jon

Scott: I rely on AirNav regularly so I add comments everytime I land at a new Field. You are not alone. I will post the fuel price in my comment but don't update the site so to speak. I believe that is the FBO's job.

AdamZ said:
Scott: I rely on AirNav regularly so I add comments everytime I land at a new Field. You are not alone. I will post the fuel price in my comment but don't update the site so to speak. I believe that is the FBO's job.

Most FBO's don't update Airnav except for the "Guaranteed" price FBOs, in which case only the FBO may update the Airnav fuel price. I always sit down with my fuel receipts after a trip and update the information for every airport I visited--even if all I'm accomplishing is moving the latest information date forward.

I'm not registered with AirNav. Do you get advertising or spam by signing in with them?

AuntPeggy said:
I'm not registered with AirNav. Do you get advertising or spam by signing in with them?

You're not my aunt peggy are you?

aeroplanner.com verifies fuel prices by calling the fbo, but I don't know if they do that on a routine basis or when someone submits an update.

After reading this post I went in to N99 to update the price and I have not seen it change yet.

Bob

SkyHog said:
You're not my aunt peggy are you?
Hard to say, my brother was such a skalawag. :blowingkisses: I'm Aunt Peggy to all children, including my grandchildren and great-grandchildren. So, welcome to the family.

I fly through New Mexico every other winter for biannual family get-together in California, but will let AA do the flying this year to Hawaii as long-distance tanks for the 172 haven't arrived.

rmciottijr said:
After reading this post I went in to N99 to update the price and I have not seen it change yet.

Bob

Updates are hit-or-miss. Some stuff, they get right away. Other times, it's like dropping the info into a black hole. Luck-o-the draw.

AuntPeggy said:
Hard to say, my brother was such a skalawag. :blowingkisses: I'm Aunt Peggy to all children, including my grandchildren and great-grandchildren. So, welcome to the family.

I fly through New Mexico every other winter for biannual family get-together in California, but will let AA do the flying this year to Hawaii as long-distance tanks for the 172 haven't arrived.

Nope then, my Aunt Peggy has no children. Sounds like fun, btw.

Back