Airnav stock up

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Because I have such an excess fuel capacity (and prices are so high), I do a lot of these calculations lately:

Departing pt A, to point B. Fuel price at pt C which is 28nm out of my way, for a 56nm total is the best price around at 3.14.

The fuel cost to go there is 3 gal t-o and climb, 15gph cruise = about 6gallons or about 19$. My operating cost is about $15, the total cost to make this diversion is $34.

What minimum amount of fuel will I have to buy, in order to make the trip worthwhile? Price at pt A or B is >/= $4.10/gal

(Sort of reminds me of those arcane elementary school questions involving trains)

What else should be factored in? Think habituating the less expensive fbo's actually influences price?
[I am not going to involve such things as 'buying courtesy fuel' or 'use-of-airport-car-fuel' for these figurings. Nor the landing/takeoff cycle costs, the increased risk exposure/training value of going to pt C.]

Last edited:
Dave, I figure it at 35.42 gallons to make it a break-even proposition (disregarding all the elements you said to disregard). This, calculated as the approximate cost of the diversion ($34.00) divided by the difference in fuel price per gallon ($0.96). So, if this lower-proced fuel is somewhere in the same general direction as your destination, then it does make sense to land there, buy fuel and tanker it home.

Interesting conundrum: in the club, we are always vigorously encouraged to buy fuel at less-expensive area airports in order to save the club some money... which is an outstanding idea.

Problem is, the several tenths of an hour it costs to divert to the "field of fuel" are hours for which the individual member using the plane ends up paying... so the plane is filled with fuel at a lower rate, the club saves some money, the plane is flown 3 or 4 thenths more, and the affected member pays an extra 50 bucks.

Of course, when I am planning longer trips which will require interim stops anyway (fuel or off-loading liquid baggage), I try very hard to find the better deal, and I do think it helps to some degree to patronize those operators whose location and business practices (and sometimes the taxing policies of their home municipality) allow for more reasonably-priced fuel.

Dave:

I also factor in time on the ground and service (if needed). If going to an airport where I self fuel, if there are other folks at the pump, that could lead to a long delay. If an FBO, I can at least call ahead and ask for a quick turn around if I need it. For instance, on the way to San Diego, I will have to stop. If in the El Paso area, I can go to Cutter at El Paso (4.94) or just over the hill to Las Cruses (3.99). Alternatively, I can continue on to Yuma (3.25) which is what I did last trip. If I need any service--Las Cruses wouldn't offer much.

Depends on how I feel, whether I have passenges that need to get out sooner or that can hang on longer, and whether I want to self fuel. Sometimes in the Baron on a long flight, I would rather let someone else top it off while I get something to eat or use the facilities. With family, 'specially.

But, it's getting more difficult to justify El Paso at $1.70 more per gallon than Yuma!! I usually put in 140 or 150 gallons there KYUM).

Best,

Dave

I guess you know, but for others the AirNav.com planner does let you consider some of these questions.
http://airnav.com/plan/fuel/

In my case, with a 700nm full fuel range, it's rare that I need to plan intermediate fuel stops. I tell that AirNav calculator that I only carry a couple hours worth of fuel to see the cheaper fuel stops along the way.

Back