AIRMET formatting to change for ConUS

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I received word this morning that the AWS (Aviation Weather Service) is going to be changing the way AIRMETs are formatted for the ConUS. Take a look at the below link for changes that will become effective November 28, 2006.

http://www.weather.gov/om/notification/tin06-31cca_airmet_standrdztn.txt

The proposed changes make it seem easier for the folks at AWS to write an AIRMET, but I don't see much benefit to pilots as they're eliminating quite a few items.

Maybe I'm having deja vu, but wasn't this EXACT post posted like last year at this exact same time, by you Jason?

Its gotta be deja vu (goes to search).

wouldn't that make it "deja vu all over again"? ;)

Probably. Sorry for hijacking the thread, I thought I was freaking out.

Jason - I don't like the new AIRMET formatting,

I e-mailed Clinton Wallace twice on this.

He ignored me.

Maybe they should change the AIRMETS to cloudy and not cloudy. That would be as useful as what they want to give us.

They really need to start working harder on getting the pastcasts out sooner though...

Yeah, they postponed the implementation. They said something about having problems with the software.

gprellwitz said:
Yeah, they postponed the implementation. They said something about having problems with the software.
Hey, that's the FAA's excuse for everything! How dare the AWS use it as well.

Nick, I agree with you and Ed. I don't like the new formatting, and eventually but unfortunately "Cloudy" and "not cloudy" is going to be as specific as we're going to get.

The changes not only degrade safety (something that should really be improving, not the opposite) but also limits our 14 CFR §91.113 requirement somewhat: Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight.

Last edited:
Apologizing in advance for being dense and unkowing, but why are they implementing these changes?

Precursor to user fees. Oh you want to actually know WHY there's an airmet - that will be $50.

N2212R said:
Maybe they should change the AIRMETS to cloudy and not cloudy. That would be as useful as what they want to give us.
It'll be like the weather forecast on the evening news ... a smiley-face sun over the southwest, a frowney-face cloud over the northeast, and little umbrellas in the northwest. :rolleyes:

-- Pilawt

I Wndr Hw Mny Yrs It Wl Tk Bfor Thy Stp Wrtng Thm In Ths Allcap Abrvtd Crp?

(dang, the posting software keeps lowering my caps. I want to yell like the NWS does)

Last edited:
JustinPinnix said:
I Wndr Hw Mny Yrs It Wl Tk Bfor Thy Stp Wrtng Thm In Ths Allcap Abrvtd Crp?

(dang, the posting software keeps lowering my caps. I want to yell like the NWS does)

Snip..... I WNDR HW MNY YRS IT WL TK ...............

TRY IT IN QUOTES
HOWZZAT??

scottd said:
The Aviation Weather Center (AWC) is preparing to have AIRMETs as well as Area Forecasts (FAs) automatically generated (in the form of a GAMET) from the new Graphical Forecasts for Aviation (GFA). This change to AIRMET text will allow for this automatic generation.

Thanks for the explanation. I was unaware of that, and I also liked your article. At first I thought, "why would less mean better?" but now I see it is part of a transition. Trouble is, how long is the gap going to be between the new formatting and the debut of the new graphical products? (That was a rhetorical question...)

:dunno:

I can imagine the aviation training publishers rushing to their new book scripts now.

Does anyone know of any other articles about the AIRMET change in popular aviation magazines? If so, I'll dig back into the pile and see what I overlooked.

~Kate

I wonder, how long before they update the relevant questions for the knowledge exams?

Yeas, I think it's about time that they rewrite/update Aviation Weather Services, AC 00-45. So much has changed in the way we get weather and the products available, both from NWS and private sources.

Back