Airmet Bravo ?

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
Ok I give up.....:hairraise: .......I've looked, read, googled, yahoo'ed, FAA web paged and still no explaination of an Airmet Bravo.

Any help ?????

The other question I was asked while trying to enter the pattern today during my mock checkride was how to turn on the curtesy lights located under the wing of the Cessna 172...........I answered beats me, .....kidding of course. I had to go look it up in the POH section 7, Airplane and Systems description. They are controlled by the rear cabin lighting switch.......go figure!

This is the current AIRMET listing for Washington Center and I only see the three mentioned before.

<pre>
WA3Z
CHIZ WA 141945
AIRMET ZULU UPDT 3 FOR ICE AND FRZLVL VALID UNTIL 150200
NO SGFNT ICE EXP OUTSIDE OF CNVTV ACT.
FRZLVL...130-170.

WAUS43 KKCI 141945
WA3S
CHIS WA 141945
AIRMET SIERRA UPDT 4 FOR IFR AND MTN OBSCN VALID UNTIL 150200
NO SGFNT IFR EXP OUTSIDE OF CNVTV ACT.
OTLK VALID 0200-0800Z...MTN OBSCN KY
MTNS OVR KY BECMG OCNL OBSCD IN CLDS/PCPN/BR/FG 03-05Z. CONDS
CONTG THRU 08Z.

WAUS43 KKCI 141945
WA3T
CHIT WA 141945
AIRMET TANGO UPDT 3 FOR TURB VALID UNTIL 150200
NO SGFNT TURB EXP OUTSIDE OF CNVTV ACT.

</pre>
But I ll admit I don't know it all when it comes to weather.

GMascelli said:
Scott,

It was a question on oral test prep and I never heard of it. I looked on the NOAA page also, no luck.

I did stumble across this tid bit....read the bottom line http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=19195&key=0
Was your test prep possibly a bit old and/or been lying around a while? Or does your CFI meet that description? :D

Your question stirred some deep tickling of a memory wherein my CFII and I are having a discussion about how airmets used to be designated vs how they are now. You can only find references to Airmet Alpha, Airmet Bravo etc in older documents from the 70's and 80's, perhaps it was a system that was superseded by the current one?

Just found this on the internet search......Maybe it was a surface winds advisory ????

I'm 48 and my CFI is around my age, or there abouts. :D so as for old, i hope not, lying around...well who knows!!

NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BOARD
Washington, D. C. 20594
Period Covered
Aircraft Accident Report
April 28, 1977
AIRMET BRAVO 5 A/, issued a t 1635, and valid for the period
Maryland, D i s t r i c t of Columbia, Delaware, Virginia, North
Flight precautions. Ohio, adjacent Great Lakes, West Virginia,
Carolina, South Carolina, and adjacent coastal
winds 30 kns or greater within 2,000 f t of the surface.
Additionally
... occasional moderate turbulence below 8,000
f t . Continue advisory beyond 2235.

GMascelli said:
They are controlled by the rear cabin lighting switch.......go figure!

And where is that switch? I have an overhead red light with a dial on it, but don't think I have a rear cabin switch.

Ron

On some Skyhawks the switch for the courtesy lights is located on the headliner. Airmet Bravo sounds like it could be today's windshift.

On the 172 I fly sometimes the underwing courtesy light switch is on the right read door post.

GMascelli said:
AIRMET BRAVO 5 A/, issued a t 1635, and valid for the period
Maryland, D i s t r i c t of Columbia, Delaware, Virginia, North
Flight precautions. Ohio, adjacent Great Lakes, West Virginia,
Carolina, South Carolina, and adjacent coastal
winds 30 kns or greater within 2,000 f t of the surface.
Additionally
... occasional moderate turbulence below 8,000
f t . Continue advisory beyond 2235.

Somebody punched it in wrong; they meant to say SIGMET Bravo. That's why you can't find anything on it:

7.3 SIGMET Information in AIRMET Bulletin. A reference to the appropriate SIGMET series is included in AIRMET bulletins which cover the affected area for similar phenomena; for example, “SEE SIGMET BRAVO SERIES FOR SEV TURB AREA”.

Source: http://www.weather.gov/directives/sym/pd01008011curr.pdf page 13

Troy Whistman said:
Somebody punched it in wrong; they meant to say SIGMET Bravo. That's why you can't find anything on it:

7.3 SIGMET Information in AIRMET Bulletin. A reference to the appropriate SIGMET series is included in AIRMET bulletins which cover the affected area for similar phenomena; for example, “SEE SIGMET BRAVO SERIES FOR SEV TURB AREA”.

Source: http://www.weather.gov/directives/sym/pd01008011curr.pdf page 13
Well you are looking at accident reports that are almost 30 years old. There could have been an AIRMET Bravo back then. There is not one now.

The AIRMET for winds and occasional/moderate turbulance is hardly grounds for a SIGMET. A SIGMET would be used for severe turbulance and other severe conditions. AIRMETs are for sustained winds greater than 30knots and moderate turbulance of which this AIRMET refers.

Bottom line, I don't think you found it yet. I too have been looking but none of my reference material is old enough any longer.

It is a good question though and so far a stumper.

Hey, Gary -- sounds like you are DEEP in the throes of pre-test prep hell. I know how you feel. I tried to cram like hell, but it felt like filling a bathtub too full, eventually stuff just kept pouring over the side.

Relax. The oral should be a good conversation about flying with the DE. If s/he is any good at all, it should be a great lesson for you. I've walked away from two now that were great learning experiences. If you're conversant with the stuff from the written, you should be fine.

Good luck!!!

Andrew

Andrew,

It's that noticeable ? :eek:

When I took over my first multi million dollar contract the Engineer leaving was always telling me "store this in the back of your mind…..it will come up again"……It finally got to the point I told him my head was full and anything else would just spill out an ear hole. He still busts my stones about that.

I feel I’m ready, just a light review today with the Bride. She is getting dangerous, taking the oral test prep in hand at any given moment firing off a round of questions. It should be fun if the heat doesn’t run us out of the cockpit tomorrow.

Back