Airmen Registry - Special Issuance

Principal

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Principal
This is really a two-part question, but I was wondering what does it say in the Airmen Registry once you get your SI? How about if your SI is a HIMS SI?

Also - what happens when your SI is finally approved, does the FAA mail you the cert or do you need to go see your AME?

Thanks!

Hippa laws would not allow them to publish anything that would.……. Lol I can’t even finish typing it, it’s too ridiculous. Those types of laws are for common folk, not the Faa.

1. It's HIPAA not HIPPA.
2. The FAA is not a covered entity under HIPAA.

To answer the original question, when you're issued, it shows up in your online record (in a blatant violation of the FAA privacy act exemption). You can usually suss out the that it is an SI versus a normal issuance by having a "NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS ..." restriction or sometimes a "FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL" line.

When I had a special issuance, they mailed me my certificate rubber stamped with the FAA flight surgeon (of course back dated to the date my AME examined me).

1. It's HIPAA not HIPPA.
2. The FAA is not a covered entity under HIPAA.

To answer the original question, when you're issued, it shows up in your online record (in a blatant violation of the FAA privacy act exemption). You can usually suss out the that it is an SI versus a normal issuance by having a "NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS ..." restriction or sometimes a "FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL" line.

When I had a special issuance, they mailed me my certificate rubber stamped with the FAA flight surgeon (of course back dated to the date my AME examined me).

Very interesting...so a potential future employer would be able to call up the FAA and find out what? I guess I'm just curious what is available to the general public in regards to this, since any Joe/Mary can go on the FAA airment registry and look up anyone who holds a certificate.

Thanks!

Actually, air carriers have their own database access, so they don't need to use the public interface.

The FAA had to take the database down a few years ago because it was in violation of the privacy act. They got an exemption but they violate it because:
1. They publish information like the medical (which is not in the scope of their exemption).
2. They refuse to allow airmen to fully opt out of public access (they only allow you to delete your postal address, but that is NOT what the law says).

Actually, air carriers have their own database access, so they don't need to use the public interface.

The FAA had to take the database down a few years ago because it was in violation of the privacy act. They got an exemption but they violate it because:
1. They publish information like the medical (which is not in the scope of their exemption).
2. They refuse to allow airmen to fully opt out of public access (they only allow you to delete your postal address, but that is NOT what the law says).

Right - its interesting how much information is available through this website, hence my initial question/concern for how much of my info is available out there.

Here is a rather famous aviator's record. I know she's had a SI for quite some time (I don't know what, but knowing her I doubt it's HIMS related):

Medical Information:
Medical Class: Third Medical Date: 11/2019
NOT VALID FOR ANY CLASS AFTER 11/30/2021.
MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES FOR NEAR AND DISTANT VISION.
BasicMed Course Date: None BasicMed CMEC Date: None

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back