Airmap 1000 Memory Card Question

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
I just got my new AM1000 today and am wondering what size additional memory cards to get for it. This model has been out for well over a year so some of you must have some experience with it. The instruction book says that it has been tested up to 256MB. There is a 512 MB Sandisk SD card on sale locally for $30. Will it work? Is that much memory needed/useful? I don't have any feel yet how much memory detailed surface maps will require. It came with a 32MB card that has the Jepp database on it. I think it said that there was still 20 MB space left on it. Up to 5 additional cards can be registered with the Map Create program. It will use either MMC or SD cards. I have the impression that the SD cards are available with more memory than MMCs but otherwise, have no idea of the relative merits of the two types of memory.

I think that the Lowrance site has a 256Mb card as the max size, or maybe a 512Mb card with the firmware upgrade (which is available free on lowrance.com).

When you start making maps, you'll find that you can get a huge map on a 128Mb card. I use this one for Alaska and the whole state is only about a 60Mb map (AK is unusually small because there is not much there as far as Databases go). When I had Illinois, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, and Missouri on the card, it fairly well filled the 128Mb card. Remember, all this is in addition to the Jepp Database.

I have the AirMap1000 and a 512mb SD card. I have had no problems with it, but I don't think I have filled it up yet. I don't know that I would want a smaller card than 512. I haven't had any software updates yet, and the last time I checked (a few days ago) the latest software update for the 1000 was sometime in 2004.

I would call Lowrance if you opt for a larger card. I would also stay with the SD cards. I don't recall seeing many MMC cards, and the SD cards are cheaper when I have directly compared them. I have no idea as to the relative technical merits of either type card. The SD card works well for me, and is a common type for many of the digital camera's out, if I end up with a need for more picture storage.

Having a larger card will allow you to make a map for each trip you make and store it on the card without having to remove the old information. Sooner or later you will end up with a pretty complete map of just about anywhere you would want to go without having to make new copies.

Back