Airman Testing going offline due to shutdown

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
From the CATS website:

"Joint message to CATS and PSI Airman applicants regarding the federal government shutdown:
Please be aware that due to the federal government shutdown, the Airman Knowledge Testing program will be affected as follows until resolution:

• All sites will be allowed to continue administering AKT tests through midnight Friday, October 4, 2013.
  • Electronic results from recent examinations will not be available.
  • AFS 630 will not be available to provide support to the ODA Holder, sites, or applicants.
  • Airman applicants may still make testing registration appointments in anticipation of resolution.
  • Should the shutdown last beyond Friday, October 4, 2013, scheduled examinations (during the duration of the shutdown) must be rescheduled.
  • Please check this website for daily updates."
Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

David

Does this mean MedeXpress is down too? I need to get my medical this month.

I should do it during the stand down, as I'm home and can't go to work.

I'm still getting email from faasafety.gov advertising seminars.

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
You have asked us to notify you when a seminar is scheduled that meets your criteria. The following seminar may be of interest to you:

"Weather Challenge"
Topic: Weather Challenge
On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1645 N. Newport Road

Colorado Springs, CO 80916
Select Number:
NR0351053

Those were probably already in the system. We just can't add to the system to advertise safety seminars in the future.

I got a safety blast today

I got this email today too:

Effect of Possible Government Shutdown
Notice Number: NOTC4990

We wish to bring to your attention that National events may have an impact on FAASTeam events, seminars and services. This may include postponement or cancellation of safety events/seminars in your area with little or no advance notice.

For those of you who are FAASTeam Representatives, there may also be an impact on pending SPANS events, Notices, and FAASTeam Directory Applications. In the event of a government shutdown, there may be delayed response to requests that are submitted (or still pending) on or after October 1, 2013.

We ask for your patience during this time. Thanks again for all you do to help reduce the aviation accident rate in the General Aviation community.

I suppose its easy to replace the front or landing page of any government website with a big "CLOSED" sign. Actually turning things off is more complicated.

If the key players involved are volunteers, and its not like they are paying for space a the local airport, I don't see why a previously and advertised event wouldn't, couldn't or shouldn't go forward. "The Show Must Go On!"

As Bill said, scheduling new events may be another matter.

FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
You have asked us to notify you when a seminar is scheduled that meets your criteria. The following seminar may be of interest to you:

"Weather Challenge"
Topic: Weather Challenge
On Tuesday, October 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1645 N. Newport Road

Colorado Springs, CO 80916
Select Number:
NR0351053

I'm thinking these will still go on since they are actually presented by an AOPA rep and not FAA personnel. I'll try and call AOPA today and see what they say.

EDIT TO ADD: Just got off the phone with AOPA. As I guessed, AOPA Air Safety Institute Seminars are NOT affected by the shutdown. If you have an AOPA Safety seminar coming up in your area, it is still on.

Mike

Last edited:
What does the government have to do with the test? Sure they check the proctors but my local airport peeps are still there so why can't I. That's crazy. Oy!

What does the government have to do with the test? Sure they check the proctors but my local airport peeps are still there so why can't I. That's crazy. Oy!

My understanding is the computers at the FBO pull your test off of a remote machine.

Turn that one computer off, and no more tests.

It's a matter of inflicting pain on people to encourage them to urge Congress to resolve the issue. This is no different than them closing public outdoor spaces such as roads or trails (technically the Mall in DC is closed). Or closing a static public web site.

Testing is supposed to be a self-funded contract function.

You are now a political pawn.

So were you guys able to get your medical done?

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My understanding is the computers at the FBO pull your test off of a remote machine.

Turn that one computer off, and no more tests.

True to some extent.

The test center downloads the exam from PSI or CATS and administers the test. The results are uploaded back to PSI/CATS who THEN submits the test data to the FAA in Oklahoma City.

So while the test center and PSI/CATS may be available, if the computers in OKC are off-line...no testing.

Mike

I just got another reminder from FAAST for the same seminar (on the 17th in Albuquerque). But then, these are joint ventures with ASF, so maybe this is AOPA driven?

I really don't know much about these seminars. I just thought it was interesting that I was still getting emails from faa.safety.gov.

On a slightly different subject I listened to a speaker from the NBAA today who said many things like aircraft registrations, ownership changes, LOAs, aeromedical, and any kind of documentation you might need from the FSDO or OKC are on hold for now.

I really don't know much about these seminars. I just thought it was interesting that I was still getting emails from faa.safety.gov.

On a slightly different subject I listened to a speaker from the NBAA today who said many things like aircraft registrations, ownership changes, LOAs, aeromedical, and any kind of documentation you might need from the FSDO or OKC are on hold for now.

Damn. That mean I can't file my IACRA and finish my check ride? It LOOKS online...

does this also mean i wont be receiving my new license? i have my temporary instrument certificate and passed my checkride about a month ago

Damn. That mean I can't file my IACRA and finish my check ride? It LOOKS online...

does this also mean i wont be receiving my new license? i have my temporary instrument certificate and passed my checkride about a month ago
I don't know anything specifically about those two things although I doubt they will be mailing permanent certificates. I only know what the NBAA guy mentioned. He said to look at their site later today. OK, here it is.

http://www.nbaa.org/ops/government-shutdown/impact/

He mentioned some things that are not mentioned on the site. There is also a place to report other issues that you find.

Last edited:
From my understanding some faa safety seminars may still go on.

The one up in Ann Arbor today is. I called the guy who is putting it on and he said "Yeah we'll still do it I hoped to have a FAA guy talk as well but we can do it without him"

So like most thinks - call and find out.

From my understanding some faa safety seminars may still go on.

The one up in Ann Arbor today is. I called the guy who is putting it on and he said "Yeah we'll still do it I hoped to have a FAA guy talk as well but we can do it without him"

So like most thinks - call and find out.

If it is an AOPA ASI seminar, they are good to go.

From yesterdays AOPA email:

"FAA Safety Team activities could be impacted, but seminars and programs hosted by the AOPA Foundation's Air Safety Institute will continue as normal"

Mike

Back