Airman Inquiry change in medical status

Pilotfortheman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pilotfortheman
Noticed that my medical information on the faa airman inquiry page changed from "no medical information" to showing First class, the month of my exam, and the expiration one year later.

I called OKC 2 days later and they said it was still in review and no decision has been made.

Bruce I saw that you mentioned that this usually indicates that the medical has been issued, but you have to wait 3 business days before it can be emailed to you. Is this the case? Wondering why it would show up if no decision has been made. Anyone else have info about this? Thanks.

I just received my medical today, 17 weeks after submitting the requested info. While I now have a 2nd class, I am ABSOLUTELY going back to Basic Med to avoid the hassle. What is silly is that the FAA took 17 weeks to review the information as they are understaffed, but they did not extend the expiration date of my medical. o_O Soooo, after all this time and effort, I have a medical good for three months...

I just received my medical today, 17 weeks after submitting the requested info. While I now have a 2nd class, I am ABSOLUTELY going back to Basic Med to avoid the hassle. What is silly is that the FAA took 17 weeks to review the information as they are understaffed, but they did not extend the expiration date of my medical. o_O Soooo, after all this time and effort, I have a medical good for three months...

So what happens if you’ve been waiting 8 months for an SI that has a 6 month validity?

I spoke with the FAA last Friday to check the status of my case. The lady I spoke with was very nice and extremely helpful. She explained how each case is assigned for review and each reviewer has a different number of cases. They are assigned first come first serve. She also said they are not divided evenly among reviewers. Some reviewers may already have a heavy case load and get assigned a case when other reviewers may have substantially less cases to work. (Dumb) She did say if you call and check weekly they note in your file that you called. She swore it didn’t speed up the process, but in the same breath said to call and check weekly??? She told me revenue airmen do get a bump, but you have to let them know.

So what happens if you’ve been waiting 8 months for an SI that has a 6 month validity?

my guess is that they'll extend it few months. they are inefficient but not that inefficient i hope.

my guess is that they'll extend it few months. they are inefficient but not that inefficient i hope.

I believe someone mentioned that the SI 6 month window will start the month the medical is issued. That would make the most sense to me, but I might be wrong. Anyone with experience can back this up?

Noticed that my medical information on the faa airman inquiry page changed from "no medical information" to showing First class, the month of my exam, and the expiration one year later.

I called OKC 2 days later and they said it was still in review and no decision has been made.

Bruce I saw that you mentioned that this usually indicates that the medical has been issued, but you have to wait 3 business days before it can be emailed to you. Is this the case? Wondering why it would show up if no decision has been made. Anyone else have info about this? Thanks.

When I was waiting on my 3rd class, I had been calling regularly to check on progress. At one point, I noticed that my airmen registry information said I had a 3rd class so I called OKC to ask about it. Like you, I was told that it was "still in review" and to "expect something soon." A week went by and nothing. I called back the following week and was told "congratulations, you've been issued" and they faxed me the certificate.

I believe someone mentioned that the SI 6 month window will start the month the medical is issued. That would make the most sense to me, but I might be wrong. Anyone with experience can back this up?

I had my initial 3rd class medical exam in early July 2020. My SI came through on July 29 2021. The certificate that was enclosed with SI letter was valid from 6/30/2021 through 12/31/2021.

When I was waiting on my 3rd class, I had been calling regularly to check on progress. At one point, I noticed that my airmen registry information said I had a 3rd class so I called OKC to ask about it. Like you, I was told that it was "still in review" and to "expect something soon." A week went by and nothing. I called back the following week and was told "congratulations, you've been issued" and they faxed me the certificate.

I had my initial 3rd class medical exam in early July 2020. My SI came through on July 29 2021. The certificate that was enclosed with SI letter was valid from 6/30/2021 through 12/31/2021.

Thank you! But….holy sh**….it took an entire year!!!! I really hope I’m not waiting that long.

Yeah my status changed last week. Was really expecting something a few days later. This being the week of Thanksgiving, I'll probably just have to wait it out another week. I'll keep it updated on here when it happens.

It took him a whole year! That is just painful to hear.

It took him a whole year! That is just painful to hear.

Yeah, it was painful at times, but I was confident that the certificate would arrive if I could be patient. I kept flying with my CFI twice/month and knocked out everything I could. When the certificate arrived, all I had left to do was polishing off some maneuvers, all solo work, and checkride. I've since finished it all up and try to fly 2-3 times/week, sometimes xc going places, sometimes around the local valley for fun, but most times to go up and keep learning new stuff.

I have the same plan. Keep flying and when my certificate comes in finish everything off.

I have the same plan. Keep flying and when my certificate comes in finish everything off.

I had the same plan almost a year ago, then I got hit with a denial and here I am waiting for another review....ughghghghhghg

Well it depends on what the FAA wants to review for SI. My AME says he is thinking they will only ask for CPAP compliance records. If that’s all they want then we’re going to move along quickly. If they want records from head injury in 2012 we’ll then we’re probably talking full neuro cog evaluation. I am fully confident I get get my SI but the only thing I’m unsure of is how long it will take.

The scariest part of the process the loss of sport pilot privileges if you wash out. I seriously considered going LSA and hoping the upcoming rule changes would accommodate my weight.

Last edited:
Just an update here. Recieved my 1st class medical today via email. Status changed on the airman inquiry page Nov 17th. SI letter dated Dec 6th. Still haven't received the hard copy in the mail.

That's always the case. Medical runs from the "date of examination" not the "date of issuance." Fortunately, the renewals are usually covered by the special issuance letter so you don't end up with the delays when you go back to the AME (he should also have gotten a copy of the letter).

Still basicmed is a good idea.

Anyone on here receive their SI recently? Just curious to see how timing has been working out for people. I'm way past my estimated deicision timeframe and have a few more months to go...I hope its not more than that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back