Airman Certifications Standards (ACS)

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
I don't recall much conversation here about the upcoming change from PTS to ACS. (but do provide a link in case I missed prior threads)

Here is a link to an FAA faq sheet on the new standards if like me, you're a little behind the power curve on the change.

Discussion about the change is welcome/encouraged.

In a nutshell, the ACS incorporates Knowledge/Oral Test academics and Practical Test skills into a single document. At least where the Private Pilot certificate is concerned, the Practical Test skills standards, haven't changed. But there is a closer link between knowledge and skills with a new emphasis on risk management. Here's a video that might help, too:

So, I believe in 3 weeks or so (June 15th) this replaces the PTS. I am a student, likely to be ready for my PP ASEL checkride in the last 1/2 of June.

I think that means i'll be tested on it, which makes me nervous, as no one knows how to really prepare. I'm not even sure how the DPE will approach it. Is she likely to be "extra strict" on her first week of people on the new standard, or more likely to let people who pass the old PTS standards through? Who knows?

I don't mind the idea of new standards (and I know maneuvers haven't changed), but it's the uncertainty and needing to be a pioneer that scare me a bit.

The FAQ link I posted answers some of your questions.

So, I believe in 3 weeks or so (June 15th) this replaces the PTS. I am a student, likely to be ready for my PP ASEL checkride in the last 1/2 of June.

I think that means i'll be tested on it, which makes me nervous, as no one knows how to really prepare.

Probably a lot less of an issue than you think. Just look over the "Knowledge" portions in each "Task" and if you see something you haven't learned yet, study it. Do expect an emphasis on Risk Management. I would recommend that you read the FAA's Risk Management Handbook. It's a quick read and you might learn something.

There is also a good WINGs online course on Risk Management. Www.faasafety.gov

A group of my instructor friends and I sat down with our local DPE to hash this out about 3 weeks ago.
We went spent 4 hours going through the ACS line by line to formulate a plan for what she would expect from us.
Initially it looked very daunting but as we got further and further into it it became more clear that there really wasn't much of a change other then spelling things out in much more detail.
The biggest change is the requirement for her to cover/review every item that the student may have missed on the knowledge test. Thus it behooves you to ensure your students get a high grade on the test.
The difference may mean an oral lasting significantly longer.
Because of this we concluded that for her to tailor each oral to each student she would have to have a copy of their knowledge test at least a week before the Check ride.

Yes there are changes but after going through it with her we found that 95% of the items listed are already covered by the way she conducts the oral portion of the exam and the flight portion remains relatively unchanged.

Dave

Back