Airlines over the edge?

Me too. Which is why I'm going to need to borrow your ID the next time I have to fly somewhere as a passenger :yes:.

A few years ago AA special services would board to the planes to personally thank the ExecPlatinum over 1 million milers. One time I was thanked and this guy a row ahead to me just kept staring after he had heard the AA-SS person great me by name and ask if there was anything more she could do to make my flight comfortable. The person next to me asked if I was a "celebrity" I just shrugged my shoulders and let 'em wonder. The guy in the row ahead of me that did not get thanked was Gordon Jump.

I have no change or cancellation fees on AA and United.

Except for same-day changes, you do pay to cancel a cheap ticket on AA, UA, or DL. BTDT, even as a top status passenger.

But then I am a top flyer on both of those airlines so those fees are waived for me.

I see waiving of same-day change fees or award booking fees, but not just for an ordinary change (like changing the day of departure) on the less expensive fares. I'm talking about changing or rebooking part or all of an itinerary.

I get a shorter check in line, free upgrades to First on AA and extra upgrade coupons on UAL.

Free upgrades are worthless if you can't get the seats. Most of my flying has been DCA, IAD, or BWI to/from SAT this year. Batting 50% on DL, 22% on AA for upgrades. Too many overpaid lawyers and politicians traveling on full F tickets. There is no elite TSA line at SAT. I check-in online to avoid the lines.

For overseas travel UAL upgrades me from Business to First automatically. Lots of free drink coupons from both for those few times I am in coach.

I rarely drink the swill they serve for wines on a plane. Exception is international travel in Business.

I get a special call in lines with real people in the US to handle my issues.

I have the special call in lines, too. When I've had to call, I've found that I get served faster and more efficiently on Southwest. AA, CO, and Midwest have US-based agents, DL has US-based folks for elite members and sends you to India for internet support.

SW gives me the same stuff that some guy flying the first time gets. No Thanks! I like being treated special

Maybe so, but it is refreshing to get real service instead of the flight-attendant-with-an-attitude that I usually get on AA (first or coach). And if you DON'T have status on a particular airline (e.g. you need to fly to a market that has little/no service from your preferred airline, or you're changing airline loyalty programs without being "comped" onto the new program), I contend that the majors treat first-time or low-mileage flyers much, much worse than Southwest. BTDT with AA when they wouldn't comp status.

Having said all that, I will also say that I took Continental over to Amsterdam last week (upgrade to business outbound, coach inbound), and I think the overall service experience tops anything I've gotten from any other airline, save for the old Swissair or Singapore. Really outstanding service, except for the part where the return flight was so empty that they moved all the passengers in the front part of coach to the back of the plane for a W&B issue on takeoff.... the folks that were moved were almost all the elites.

Last edited:
If I was able to get service like that Scott, I'd never touch anything less if I could avoid it!

Sadly, for those of us (most of us) who lack your elevated status (and no doubt, you've earned it through many long trips away), travel in coach is a much less tolerable experience on traditional carriers than on Southwest.

===

Tom Joyner, for several years, flew round-trip between Dallas and Chicago- everyday! He hosted the morning show on KKDA FM in Dallas, and the afternoon show on WGCI in Chi Town. My sister, who was an exec of some sort with AA at the time, said he was very well-regarded- and well-treated- by AA.

If I was able to get service like that Scott, I'd never touch anything less if I could avoid it!

Sadly, for those of us (most of us) who lack your elevated status (and no doubt, you've earned it through many long trips away), travel in coach is a much less tolerable experience on traditional carriers than on Southwest.

All it takes is money, Spike, especially OPM.

As for Joyner, AA gave him the seats from the plane after he stopped the commute.

Tom Joyner, for several years, flew round-trip between Dallas and Chicago- everyday! He hosted the morning show on KKDA FM in Dallas, and the afternoon show on WGCI in Chi Town. My sister, who was an exec of some sort with AA at the time, said he was very well-regarded- and well-treated- by AA.

And Joyner could have just hosted one or the other show from the same city with the miracle of ISDN.

And Joyner could have just hosted one or the other show from the same city with the miracle of ISDN.

ISDN? Nowadays you just put in audio servers and do a store-forward of just the delta-content via a WAN.

ISDN? Nowadays you just put in audio servers and do a store-forward of just the delta-content via a WAN.

I only said ISDN because I know that Harlan still uses it to audition for voice-over gigs. Every studio has the equipment. I'm sure the line costs him a couple hundred bucks a month plus long distance (x2) but somehow I think he makes enough to cover that. :p

(creep creep)

The voice guys I know still use ISDN. Stable, reliable, standard.

Back