"Airlines Brace for Shortage of Pilots"

hey if they pay me enough to make it worth it to drop outta college, im at their door tomorrow morning. if they'll pay good enough to make a decent living, i might even consider it after graduating (gasp!)

hey if they pay me enough to make it worth it to drop outta college, im at their door tomorrow morning. if they'll pay good enough to make a decent living, i might even consider it after graduating (gasp!)
But they don't want to pay you a living wage, you should jsut want to fly because it is fun :yes::hairraise:;)

But they don't want to pay you a living wage, you should jsut want to fly because it is fun :yes::hairraise:;)

Yep; way back when I left active duty, bunch of friends that were pilots started with airlines or with commercial folks to build time. For many years, they lived on noodle soup. Then, for many years they did great as they got to senior positions with majors. Now, many are worried about eating noodle soup again. Big companies with a lot of leverage and a job that a lot of people want. I went the other way and build my own business. Just a matter of what makes you happy. I've eaten a lot of noodle soup, but felt I had a bit of control in my life. General piece of advise is things don't generally pay well if everyone wants to do 'em.

Best,

Dave

I am just hoping that the shortages get fixed with more pay!

Tell all the youngins that flyings sucks so I can get me enough money to pay the bills :)

Northwest? They want to kill off GA yet still have young pilots to hire in the future. Are they offering demo flights in 747s?

It's a simple price/supply curve problem, but the airline execs aren't exactly economics wizards so I’m not surprised that they fail to understand this simple fact. FWIW, there is no “pilot shortage”—the truth is that there are currently more US commercial and ATP certificate holding pilots than could possibly be employed by every airline/flight employer in existence today or for the foreseeable future. IOW, the problem isn’t a pilot shortage; the real problem is that there is a shortage of pilots willing to work for the slave wages the airlines/flight employers currently pay.

IOW, the problem isn’t a pilot shortage; the real problem is that there is a shortage of pilots willing to work for the slave wages the airlines/flight employers currently pay.

Ed,
Exactly right!! It's the same reason undocumented aliens are doing so many meanial jobs in this country.

Mitch

IOW, the problem isn’t a pilot shortage; the real problem is that there is a shortage of pilots willing to work for the slave wages the airlines/flight employers currently pay.

Ed,
Exactly right!! It's the same reason undocumented aliens are doing so many meanial jobs in this country.

Mitch

What you guys are totally missing is that peice of the story would make it totally unnewsworthy. You can't scare people with, "There's a shortage of Pilots to fly you to your vacation" If you tell them that if they paid starting pilots a living wage there wouldn't be a shortage.

What you guys are totally missing is that peice of the story would make it totally unnewsworthy. You can't scare people with, "There's a shortage of Pilots to fly you to your vacation" If you tell them that if they paid starting pilots a living wage there wouldn't be a shortage.
If you really wanted to scare the public just let them know that they guy flying them to their vacation in the right seat of that RJ is making less than the manager of the place where they bought their coffee on the way to the airport. :hairraise:

If you really wanted to scare the public just let them know that they guy flying them to their vacation in the right seat of that RJ is making less than the manager of the place where they bought their coffee on the way to the airport. :hairraise:

You overestimate the general public. They don't care what the guy makes as long as they get thier $99 doller ticket to Disney.

Missa

You overestimate the general public. They don't care what the guy makes as long as they get thier $99 doller ticket to Disney.

Missa

They care a bit. When my company changed preferred carriers I posted the UAL pay scale up at work and there were a lot of people who thought UAL pilots were making millions for 20 hours of work a week. Then they realized that the majority of them were making less than our secretaries and freaked them out a bit.

Missa

I tend to agree. I don't think they care if I get paid, let alone how much, so long as I get them there early, make a perfect landing, don't hit any turbulence, and somehow avoid all weather and ATC delays. Besides, if pilots get paid more, ticket prices will go up, and that would violate the general public's inalienable right to fly (and use airplanes as their garbage cans) for next to nothing.

Rant off. Sorry...long day at work today.

In many cases the captain (never mind the FO) of that regional airliner is making less than the starbucks manager, or the driver of the bus/train that brought him to the airport.

"Meanwhile, hotshot up there in the business jet is earning a fantastic wage, taking salary that otherwise would go to the commercial pilot flying your airplane. That's why we need user fees." B)

What a silly article.

"Meanwhile, hotshot up there in the business jet is earning a fantastic wage, taking salary that otherwise would go to the commercial pilot flying your airplane. That's why we need user fees." B)

What a silly article.
Got a link for this one? I've gotta read this!

What a silly article.

Why do you think I want to be a corporate pilot! :)

Na, won't be a problem ... they'll just turn to "cheap foreign labor".

By 2020 I'd wager you are going to find a lot of cabin crews where English is the 2nd (or 3rd?) language.

"Good afternooning! On behalf of Capt. Batswa myself, and copiloting Xicham, I would welcome you to flight!" :hairraise:

Northwest? They want to kill off GA yet still have young pilots to hire in the future. Are they offering demo flights in 747s?

Back