Airlines Beware

tinygiant

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
tinygiant
I officially told the boss yesterday that I'm putting in for retirement. I've never not been around the military (Dad = 23 years Army, me = 19 years AF). I joined the day after my dad retired. Gonna be a big change, but ready to move on. Can't wait for the next adventure, which hopefully includes a civilian flying job. Can't spend too long on the ground...

<---- retired after 24 years USAF

I've met two types of people. Those that reach high year of tenure and are forced out and those like me who realize that it is not the same Air Force you joined so many years ago. I work for the DoD now and don't regret taking off the uniform, or miss those deployments and remotes.

Congrats brother, I am in the same boat! I just started the retirement process after 24 years of active duty in the Army. I hope to become a CFI and see where that takes me. My last civilian job was a bagboy at Kroger.

I officially told the boss yesterday that I'm putting in for retirement. I've never not been around the military (Dad = 23 years Army, me = 19 years AF). I joined the day after my dad retired. Gonna be a big change, but ready to move on. Can't wait for the next adventure, which hopefully includes a civilian flying job. Can't spend too long on the ground...

Me too! Dad was a Marine WWII for 3 years then 20 in the USAF. I did 20 too, got my 4 year degree and all certificates/ratings while in the AF and got on with a regional after retiring from the AF. It can be done! Don't waste that GI bill!

Last edited:

It took me almost a month to get used to not having someone else make all my decisions for me.... :lol:

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Congrats brother, I am in the same boat! I just started the retirement process after 24 years of active duty in the Army. I hope to become a CFI and see where that takes me. My last civilian job was a bagboy at Kroger.

Best of luck on the process. I've got two friends who retired out of the Army at about the same year mark. Both said the process was so disorganized it's like no one ever retired from the Army before. If you know somebody who's been through it, talk to them.

And best of luck after.

John

Best of luck on the process. I've got two friends who retired out of the Army at about the same year mark. Both said the process was so disorganized it's like no one ever retired from the Army before. If you know somebody who's been through it, talk to them.

And best of luck after.

John

Must have been a small base / post that doesn't deal with too many retirements. My retirement process (ACAP) was well organized. They give you a schedule and you figure out which classes you need to attend and which ones you can skip. I actually skipped the VA physical...don't get me started on disability.:mad:

Must have been a small base / post that doesn't deal with too many retirements. My retirement process (ACAP) was well organized. They give you a schedule and you figure out which classes you need to attend and which ones you can skip. I actually skipped the VA physical...don't get me started on disability.:mad:

The last one retired out of Aberdeen Proving Ground. I'm not sure how that ranks on size. The other one retired out of a civilian DoD agency so you're probably right about his.

John

Retirement come at 20. I have one year left, but put the paperwork in. Much like a previous poster, I have the option to continue, but it ain't the same AF no more. Time to part ways. Thanks for the well wishes. Hope the whole process goes smoothly.

Good luck And congratulations. I start terminal in August and officially retire 1 Nov. You're right about it not being the same AF anymore. I see some positive changes, but it'll take ten years for them to bear fruit. Unfortunately, those aren't going to help aviators though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good luck! I only made it 4 years. Actually they screwed me, I took the last two months as terminal leave and they only credited me with 3 years 10 months active duty. had I known they would do that, I might have come back for my last day to out process and have 4 years active duty on my DD-214. However, it's easy to explain if anyone were to ask because the dates still add up to 4 years.

Back