Airline Captain with an iPhone, eh?

K

KennyFlys

I just saw an Apple iPhone commercial with an airline captain and his iPhone.

He claims to be stuck on the ground for three hours not being allowed to leave due to a weather delay. The view is then him going to Weather.com on the iPhone. He accesses a composite radar image for the United States then down to the upper Midwest to the Northeast.

He then claims to call his dispatcher to alert them to the clearing weather. Some thirty minutes later, he gets a call from ATC clearing him for departure.

To use a title from a good movie with Nicholas Cage... "It Could Happen."

There's a quote from an ailine captain that he responded when Apple solicited stories on how they've used the iPhone. He gave them that story (prolly NOT with weather.com, who may be Apple partner.) He was contacted and was faxed a non-disclosure agreement which he never returned. Then he never heard from them again.

The post may be bogus. I can't imagine that Apple would not make 25x sure that they couldn't get sued for using the idea, but maybe they figure they lawyers on staff so no bigee.

Im not an airline captain, but i play one on TEEVEE.

I too (FWIW)use my iphone to pull up aviationweather.gov at my hangar thereby eliminating the need to run over to the FBO to pull up metars,tafs,etc (and wait in line untill the computer becomes available)

I find it to be very convenient for that last minute weather check! (so everyone run out and buy the iphone, effectively driving up the sales revenue for apple and in turn the share price for us apple stock holders):yes:the stock is on a tear!! if ya get in now still time to make bucu $$$ and be able to afford that new Mailbu!!

( i hope this doesn't offend short sellers of apple)

I refuse to ever get an iPhone based on that stupid commercial alone.

Coming back from Oshkosh on a dark story night my son brought up Nexrad on his iPhone when Flightwatch was not available. We have also used it to file a Flight Plan when LM would not answer the phone. Very Handy! No I don't sell them.
You did that while airborne?

I'm going to take this opportunity to make a shameless plug for a friend of a friend - www.foreflight.com - aviation app. specifically for the iPhone.

Ok .. I don't know anything about iPhones. How much do they
cost? Who's the service provider and how much is it per month?

RT

wow- I didn't even know that they had the desktop version! I might have to try that out.

Back