Airframe Recommendations Based on Mission

76Driver

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
76Driver
Looking into used airplanes for a friend with a specific mission in mind.

1200nm Trip (One stop expected)
6 place (90% would be 2-3 pax max)
Respectable sized cabin (421/CE500/550 size)
Known Icing

Was initially looking at used CE500/550/S550 but the operating costs are a little high. King Air 90 as well but for that was more considering a 414A or 421C. Are there any other types to consider? Would something in the PA46 family be viable for such a mission? Aquisition cost would be flexible based on operating cost but somewhere between 300k-800k ideally.

Any and all recommendations welcomed. Thanks in advance!!

Skip, I should've included that. Would be flown roughly 100hrs/yr. Once, occasionally twice per month.

Feels like SETP territory.

Have looked at SETPs (Meridian/TBM700) but trying to get something with a lower entry and operating cost for now. I realize reliability would be better though.

Looking into used airplanes for a friend with a specific mission in mind.

1200nm Trip (One stop expected)
6 place (90% would be 2-3 pax max)
Respectable sized cabin (421/CE500/550 size)
Known Icing

Was initially looking at used CE500/550/S550 but the operating costs are a little high. King Air 90 as well but for that was more considering a 414A or 421C. Are there any other types to consider? Would something in the PA46 family be viable for such a mission? Aquisition cost would be flexible based on operating cost but somewhere between 300k-800k ideally.

Any and all recommendations welcomed. Thanks in advance!!
What are your friend’s flight qualifications?

You didn't say pressurized. If that isn't a factor, then consider the Navajo. Good cabin, speed, weather capabilities, and at least the unpressurized types won't completely eat you out of house and home. If pressurization is important, then the Cessna 414 and 421 are the only real options with some room to stretch out. If you want to look at turbines, the options in the $300k-800k range are limited, but there might be an MU-2 out there that will get it done. Flown as if it were a jet (training, numbers, etc.), they are safe and extremely capable.

Insurance requirements can be a challenge for planes with more than 6 seats. When I was comparing planes, the insurance was going to require something like 20 hours of dual in a Cessna 310 (6 seats) or simulator training plus 50 hours dual in a Navajo (8 seats), and the Navajo dual had to be from an instructor with recent simulator training (despite it being almost impossible to find a Navajo simulator and instructor in the wild and despite the instructor in question having flown thousands of hours in Navajos prior to stepping into the major airlines). The difference in premiums was also rather scary.

You didn't say pressurized. If that isn't a factor, then consider the Navajo. Good cabin, speed, weather capabilities, and at least the unpressurized types won't completely eat you out of house and home. If pressurization is important, then the Cessna 414 and 421 are the only real options with some room to stretch out. If you want to look at turbines, the options in the $300k-800k range are limited, but there might be an MU-2 out there that will get it done. Flown as if it were a jet (training, numbers, etc.), they are safe and extremely capable.

Insurance requirements can be a challenge for planes with more than 6 seats. When I was comparing planes, the insurance was going to require something like 20 hours of dual in a Cessna 310 (6 seats) or simulator training plus 50 hours dual in a Navajo (8 seats), and the Navajo dual had to be from an instructor with recent simulator training (despite it being almost impossible to find a Navajo simulator and instructor in the wild and despite the instructor in question having flown thousands of hours in Navajos prior to stepping into the major airlines). The difference in premiums was also rather scary.
Yes, would need to be pressurized. From what I've seen I believe you're correct. 414A/421C are really the only twin pistons that'd be viable here. After that would need to look into a TBM700 I think. I appreciate the response!

Back