Aircraft Use/Sales Tax

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
I'm having a pretty hard time figuring out which state I do/will owe money to. This is further muddled by my changing residency and the plane being hangared in another state.

Any recommendations for an aviation tax professional? Of course I'd be willing to pay for their expertise.

Don’t know an aviation tax pro. Do know Colorado will demand their percentage based on the initial FAA registration address. After you pay the tax they will fail to credit your account and bill you again. A phone call with canceled check in hand will magically clear it up. I think they have poor internal controls.

You sure your plane isn't based in a state like NH or something?

Not all states steal your money, just sayin

It's not that hard. Your residency doesn't matter. It's where the plane was purchased and where the plane is based that matters.

I bought an airplane in one state, hangared it in another state, and live in a third state. I called the tax departments of all three states and just asked. I ended up paying use tax in the state it is hangared in, and that satisfied everybody. (EDIT - my home state ended up sending me a tax form after all a few months after purchase, but I sent proof that I paid tax in the state is was based and that satisfied them).

I called Aeromarine Tax Professionals after I purchased my aircraft. That was the wrong order... but they were still helpful. (Best to call before you purchase for guidance.) But give them a call. They've been really friendly to me, though I get a lot of follow-up calls.

Yes. I know very good folks in Colorado for you. Call me tomorrow morning.

Talk to a tax expert,there are too many variables,depending on the states involved.

It seems to vary. I've only own two planes, both from out of state. First one,a Mooney, it took almost a year before I received a letter asking for evidence of purchase price and pay their cut. The Jabiru must not be in the same data report from FAA, haven't heard a word in 8 years

Someone on another chat raved about these guys. Let me know how it they do for you, I might need their advice too.

necro:
I had reason to contact them about a purchase.
Very nice folks however I think I can do about as well as they would.
The fee presented was $2000.00 fyi.

Back