Aircraft type identifier

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
My Zodiac's official ICAO and FAA type designator is CH60. That's what I was told to tell ATC when they ask (and they have been..."What's a Zodiac?".) Only one problem: some of them have heard that and thought "Blackhawk helicopter". Any suggestions on how I disambiguate the two?

Good luck.

I use "RV" sometimes, and I get the same question - "What's an RV?" or better yet - "What type of Army aircraft are you?" When I go into busy ATC situations where I don't want to deal with explanations over a busy freq, I just use "Experimental".

I've even had my ID changed on IFR flight plans when handed down the line -- I file as RV7/G and it works for a few sectors, then on a random handoff, I get called 'Experimental' like they have changed my ID in the flight strip. :dunno:

I think it just depends on the controller you get and their familiarity with small GA aircraft. Not much to be done about it -- hopefully someone will prove me wrong here. ;)

My Zodiac's official ICAO and FAA type designator is CH60. That's what I was told to tell ATC when they ask (and they have been..."What's a Zodiac?".) Only one problem: some of them have heard that and thought "Blackhawk helicopter". Any suggestions on how I disambiguate the two?
"Zodiac 5ZC is a CH60 single-engine light sport." If talking to a tower or ground control (i.e., someone who can look out the window and see you) you might throw in "low-wing" so they know what they're looking for.

But you have a valid point; ICAO goofed on that identifier.

I'm often told my IAR 823 (IR23) is not in the database by controllers. I'll get "experimental" occasionally, like CJ mentioned. It's just something you have to work through with ATC. With all the new LSA models emerging it would be hard for anyone to keep track of all of them by designator alone.

Only suggestion I can offer is to be sure to spell your identifier phonetically and emphasize the "Charlie Hotel". Sometimes they won't hear the first word and in your case are expecting H-60 to be a helicopter.

http://www.icao.int/anb/ais/8643/index.cfm

FWIW the designator for the Blackhawk is "H60". Probably the best you can do is educate them one controller at a time as Pilawt said.

Regards,
Joe

My Sport Cub was christened CC11-100 by its manufacturer, but ICAO and FAA made a good call is assigning it the designator "PA11". It's not built by Piper and there are no common parts, but it looks and performs much like a PA-11, which most controllers would recognize. So the designator does its job.

I had good luck this morning, twice, with "55ZC is a Zodiac, type designator charlie hotel six zero, and I'm not a helicopter". I might keep that one. I had answered "light sport" once a couple of days ago and got asked "life support?!" in return...so I'm trying to stay away from that one.

The Symphony was SYMP - that was fun explaining to ATC.. I told them "Treat me like a Cessna and we'll all be fine".

One one ferry trip the tower controller at Roswell came down to look at the airplane and I gave her a ride.

I use "RV" sometimes, and I get the same question - "What's an RV?" or better yet - "What type of Army aircraft are you?" When I go into busy ATC situations where I don't want to deal with explanations over a busy freq, I just use "Experimental".

OMG. Only THE most popular homebuilt airplane in history and they STILL don't know what it is? :dunno:

You may not want to educate them. Maybe you'll get to ride for free in the ADIZ. TFR's will have no relevance to you!!

Hey, a boy can dream!!!!!

I know this is subtle but pilots calling from a H60 have an unique noise in the background. I can tell its a H60 on the scanner or on another radio. The tag "I not a helicopter" as stated earlier should be the biggest clue.:D

If the FAA says it's CH60, then that's what you put in the flight plan. OTOH, if they ask what that means, do your best to describe it in terms they can understand. I was flying a Liberty XL2 this month, and the controllers kept asking "Say type aircraft?" We said "XL2," which is just what it is, both in name and FAA identifier, followed by "...handle us like a Tomahawk," which helped them immensely.

I thought you were required to call "experimental" as in "Experimental CH60". I thought I saw it in the FAR any experimental has to tell the controller he is experimental.

Dan

My aircraft is not experimental, however; it's a factory SLSA. I did have one controller (Topeka Billard Tower) call me experimental; I decided not to correct her.

According to the AIM, an experimental only has to identify as such on initial contact with ATC.

And even if it was and you were making the first contact with ATC it would be "Zodiac 123AB Experimental." According to the AIM.

I'm going to file the Skipper as "SR71/G" next time and see what happens..

"Umm... is your cruise speed supposed to be in kts or mach?" :D

Once while flying the Archer center got confused and started calling me "Tri-Pacer XXXX". Getting called a Cherokee is one thing, but a Tri-Pacer?! Oh well, to them I'm just flying slow.

Back