Aircraft security concerns at SFO......sorta

vkhosid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
94V
Over-reaction, or justifiable concern? YOU be the judge.

Either way, the pictures are funny....

EDIT: If you don't think your blood pressure is high enough, and would like to increase it, please feel free to read the comments section. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

You got to be ****ting me :rofl:

Maybe I should call the NSA when kids draw in the dirt on the back of my car in a parking lot.

Maybe we should go water board a few 10yrs olds, drawing in dirt on a vehicle is a "terrorist" act now.

Folks need to find a better outlet for their time and pent up...whatever

CYA syndrome.... cover your ass... Sad. Everyone's scared of their own shadow when it comes to planes. Wonder what they would do when someone does that to a bus.

If I knew who drew the picture, they would be fired without question. In this age of security concerns you cannot go around and draw what you think are funny pictures.

In my opinion the plane should have been taken out of service and completely searched. United did screw up in firing the crew if the information presented is factual. The crew laid out a valid security concern only to be shorted by an incomplete search.

Yesterday, I noticed a security tag torn on the gas pump I was about to use. I immediately stopped what I was doing and told the worker on duty. I was concerned about the integrity of my transaction.

Part of my job as an operations intern at a commercial airport a few years ago was to look for security concerns. I would walk around the ramp without my badge to see if anyone would challenge me. If they did not challenge, I would report them for failure to challenge. I saw a guy get suspended on the spot for not closing a jet bridge door properly after I noticed that it wasn't locked.

If I knew who drew the picture, they would be fired without question. In this age of security concerns you cannot go around and draw what you think are funny pictures.

In my opinion the plane should have been taken out of service and completely searched. United did screw up in firing the crew if the information presented is factual. The crew laid out a valid security concern only to be shorted by an incomplete search.

Yesterday, I noticed a security tag torn on the gas pump I was about to use. I immediately stopped what I was doing and told the worker on duty. I was concerned about the integrity of my transaction.

Part of my job as an operations intern at a commercial airport a few years ago was to look for security concerns. I would walk around the ramp without my badge to see if anyone would challenge me. If they did not challenge, I would report them for failure to challenge. I saw a guy get suspended on the spot for not closing a jet bridge door properly after I noticed that it wasn't locked.

Did you pump a gallon to test the accuracy of the pump? Wow.

Reading things like this and the original article gives me more certainty Atlas Shrugged is no longer fiction...

Seriously??? Do they pull over and hide when someone writes "Wash Me" on the back of a tractor trailer covered in brake dust? I'm glad they got fired. They're not up to the task of being a flight attendant or crew member if they can't handle a smiley face drawn in dirt.

Guy got shot today at the local airport. This seems a bit tame in comparison.

Hey guys over here, we've found the problem....:yikes:

It is a security issue. Someone got close enough to the plane to draw on it. If I have to throw out my water because there is a possibility that it is explosive, then that plane should be inspected completely. Otherwise, who knows what other things have been tampered with.
Or just call the tsa nonsense exactly that and be on your way.

Specialized equipment. Otherwise known as a ladder.

It is a security issue. Someone got close enough to the plane to draw on it. If I have to throw out my water because there is a possibility that it is explosive, then that plane should be inspected completely. Otherwise, who knows what other things have been tampered with.

Or it's just some mechanics that thought someone might have a laugh. But I guess people are overly sensitive. If people saw half the stuff written in the baggage hold, they would crap themselves.

In all honesty, if flight attendants aren't prepared to accept a captain's determination regarding the safety of an aircraft, they shouldn't be flight attendants (and it appears that United agrees).

JKG

:rofl::rofl:

Please tell me you're kidding!

Lets see,

I've been stopped once at a airport I kept my plane at, Team America rent-a-cop stops me and my current girlfirend, starts jibbering at me about inspecting my badge, I pointed at my badge, said "no thanks" and walked off. Shortly after I moved to another airport, BS factor way too high.

Second time with Team America, different field, I was loading some rifles and camping stuff in my plane, dude walks right up to my plane, starts to ask me what I'm doing, are those guns, where I'm going, I told him to take a few steps back and continued on my business.

Current airport is very chill, has the dumb prison fence, but no wannabe terrorist task force idiots, much better!

If you want to come up to me and have a conversation like a rational human, great! I love talking aviation and am very social, but these people who think everyone is part of the axis of evil or whatever, I just feel like I'm loosing brain cells being near them.

We're talking about someone drawing on the tail of a 747. That's a hell of a long ways up, a little different than the back of a bus or your SUV parked in a public place. Do I think there's a serious threat? probably not, but as required crewmembers flight attendants are responsible for the safety of the passengers on board. If they dont feel 100% about the safety of a flight I WANT them to say something. When THIRTEEN crew members walk off a flight it says something to me. We're not talking about one pansy that cant do their job. 13 people who ride on planes every day all decided that they wanted the plane screened and the company didn't do it. To me this shows a lack of caring from the company. I dont care what the reason is, if that many crew members think the plane should get a full security screening then I'm siding with them. So what if the captain said "lets go" he's got all the pressure from the company bearing on him to make that decision. We all talk about external factors and get thereitis and I have no doubt that there were external factors leaning on that captain to get the plane in the air. The crew just had the balls to stand up for themselves, and IMHO United should have listened to them. It's all about the dollar though, so they got fired instead.

In 35 years of airline experience including a lot of international flights I have never ever known a Captain who would take a flight that he/she felt was unsafe or under a threat.

Furthermore, I have never known a Chief Pilot, Base Manager, or Fleet Manager, who would have disagreed or failed to back up such a Captain in his/her decision.

"Bye Bye" finger-painted on the tail of an airliner in the grease is not a threat.

:rofl::rofl:

Please tell me you're kidding!

Lets see,

I've been stopped once at a airport I kept my plane at, Team America rent-a-cop stops me and my current girlfirend, starts jibbering at me about inspecting my badge, I pointed at my badge, said "no thanks" and walked off. Shortly after I moved to another airport, BS factor way too high.

Similar issue for me...

Ten years ago we had fuel being stolen from planes at a Delta airport with commercial service... Lucky for us it snows here and we followed the tire tracks from my plane, a Husky and a Bonanza that were missing 50 gallons, straight to his parking spot in front of the security building... He was using the 100LL in his snowmobile...:mad::mad:.. They bitched about us tracking him down , but fired him later that month..

That got me in bad standings with the contract (rent a cop) company.. Apparently I was supposed to just keep quiet..:nonod:..

About a year later I was out in my T Hangar one night doing some mods on my experimental for an upcoming trip to OSH...

New Dude rolls up in his ( security) vehicle.. Some little Suzuki jeep thing with a yellow light bar that was bigger then the jeep...:D

Guy comes in my hangar and asked what the hell I was doing.

Me"... I am working on my plane

Him" ... Is that plane yours?

Me"... Yup, see my key fits the door lock

Him"... Well, anybody can get fake keys, Let me see your TSA issued Jackson Hole airport badge.

Me"... No prob, as it was hanging around my neck on a lanyard and in CLEAR sight..

Him"... He looks at the pic, and then me, and then back at the pic,, He then reads the info and asked me " are you Ben"??

Me"... I was earlier tonight but I am pretty tired now so I am not sure.:rofl:

Him"... OK Smart ass, just answer the question.

Me"... Sorry, yes sir, I am Ben, you know the nice looking guy in the picture on my badge..

So , now he is getting his "stern" look on his rent a cop face and I am having a hard time not to bust out laughing... Picture Barney Fife on Mayberry RFD..:yesnod:

Him"... So, are you going flying somewhere?

Me"... Yup

Him" ... Where are you going?

Me"... Up in the sky.......

Him".. OK smart ass..

At this stage he keys up his radio shack walkie talkie and makes a call.... Fuuny part is it is midnight and I know there is NO one else on the airport to hear him..

Him"... Into the radio " I have a suspect in hangar 3 that is uncooperative and request back up"

By now I am laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes...:lol::rofl::lol::rofl::D..

You see, when they pass out badges here, we ALL have to go through a THOROUGH background check. watch a 30 minute video and swear under oath to uphold the rules issued by TSA for holding a badge..

The first and foremost rule is to CHALLANGE anyone on the airport inside the secure area..

Me"... Let me see YOUR badge..:dunno:

He clears his throat, shuffles his feet and turns BRIGHT red.. Gets back into his Shriners clown car /jeep, revs up the tiny 4 banger motor, sidesteps the clutch and tries to spin the tires......... And stalls it...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:..

Turns out the rent a cop will full access to the entire area, including the SIDA side, Didn't have a badge and never even got a background check.:mad2::mad2::mad2:..

Needless to say, the rent a cops don't even come close to me anymore.:):)

Only in America...;)

Last edited:
Similar issue for me...

Ten years ago we had fuel being stolen from planes at a Delta airport with commercial service... Lucky for us it snows here and we followed the tire tracks from my plane, a Husky and a Bonanza that were missing 50 gallons, straight to his parking spot in front of the security building... He was using the 100LL in his snowmobile...:mad::mad:.. They bitched about us tracking him down , but fired him later that month..

That got me in bad standings with the contract (rent a cop) company.. Apparently I was supposed to just keep quiet..:nonod:..

About a year later I was out in my T Hangar one night doing some mods on my experimental for an upcoming trip to OSH...

New Dude rolls up in his ( security) vehicle.. Some little Suzuki jeep thing with a yellow light bar that was bigger then the jeep...:D

Guy comes in my hangar and asked what the hell I was doing.

Me"... I am working on my plane

Him" ... Is that plane yours?

Me"... Yup, see my key fits the door lock

Him"... Well, anybody can get fake keys, Let me see your TSA issued Jackson Hole airport badge.

Me"... No prob, as it was hanging around my neck on a lanyard and in CLEAR sight..

Him"... He looks at the pic, and then me, and then back at the pic,, He then reads the info and asked me " are you Ben"??

Me"... I was earlier tonight but I am pretty tired now so I am not sure.:rofl:

Him"... OK Smart ass, just answer the question.

Me"... Sorry, yes sir, I am Ben, you know the nice looking guy in the picture on my badge..

So , now he is getting his "stern" look on his rent a cop face and I am having a hard time not to bust out laughing... Picture Barney Fife on Mayberry RFD..:yesnod:

Him"... So, are you going flying somewhere?

Me"... Yup

Him" ... Where are you going?

Me"... Up in the sky.......

Him".. OK smart ass..

At this stage he keys up his radio shack walkie talkie and makes a call.... Fuuny part is it is midnight and I know there is NO one else on the airport to hear him..

Him"... Into the radio " I have a suspect in hangar 3 that is uncooperative and request back up"

By now I am laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes...:lol::rofl::lol::rofl::D..

You see, when they pass out badges here, we ALL have to go through a THOROUGH background check. watch a 30 minute video and swear under oath to uphold the rules issued by TSA for holding a badge..

The first and foremost rule is to CHALLANGE anyone on the airport inside the secure area..

Me"... Let me see YOUR badge..:dunno:

He clears his throat, shuffles his feet and turns BRIGHT red.. Gets back into his Shriners clown car /jeep, revs up the tiny 4 banger motor, sidesteps the clutch and tries to spin the tires......... And stalls it...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:..

Turns out the rent a cop will full access to the entire area, including the SIDA side, Didn't have a badge and never even got a background check.:mad2::mad2::mad2:..

Needless to say, the rent a cops don't even come close to me anymore.:):)

Only in America...;)
Priceless!

Was probably a mechanic with a sense of humor.got blown way out of proportion. The only concern I would have,is it was done in a secure area. The cabin attendants may have been a labor action.

We're talking about someone drawing on the tail of a 747. That's a hell of a long ways up, a little different than the back of a bus or your SUV parked in a public place. Do I think there's a serious threat? probably not, but as required crewmembers flight attendants are responsible for the safety of the passengers on board. If they dont feel 100% about the safety of a flight I WANT them to say something. When THIRTEEN crew members walk off a flight it says something to me. We're not talking about one pansy that cant do their job. 13 people who ride on planes every day all decided that they wanted the plane screened and the company didn't do it. To me this shows a lack of caring from the company. I dont care what the reason is, if that many crew members think the plane should get a full security screening then I'm siding with them. So what if the captain said "lets go" he's got all the pressure from the company bearing on him to make that decision. We all talk about external factors and get thereitis and I have no doubt that there were external factors leaning on that captain to get the plane in the air. The crew just had the balls to stand up for themselves, and IMHO United should have listened to them. It's all about the dollar though, so they got fired instead.

But that's the point, the Captain and maintenance personnel investigated and determined no threat. What are you waiting for, the FBI to clear the plane?

Was probably a mechanic with a sense of humor.got blown way out of proportion. The only concern I would have,is it was done in a secure area. The cabin attendants may have been a labor action.
That'd be my guess, sometimes it doesn't work.

It most likely was.

But that's the problem, you really don't know for sure. I think the plane should have been inspected.

But that's the point, the Captain and maintenance personnel investigated and determined no threat. What are you waiting for, the FBI to clear the plane?

According to the article they checked the APU and the crew wanted the whole plane checked which was not done. Clearing one small section and declaring no threat is different from clearing the entire plane, especially one that size.

They should have called the cops out to shoot the plane with the suspicious package water canon robot. It is only fair, after all that is what happens to our stuff when it is deemed potentially hazardous.:D

Well, that point works both ways. First the person needs to be in the secured area, second they need access to the scissor lift or whatever to get to that point, while in a secured area, then drive it to the back of the plane and go up. Then you have to assume that this person after getting away with all that and planting their bomb is going to give it all away with some conspicuous doodling.

The likelihood that this was done by any terrorist is next to zero. Most likely the last mechanics to service/check the APU.

It most likely was.

But that's the problem, you really don't know for sure. I think the plane should have been inspected.

I think they should have drug it to the back 40 and blown it up as a precaution.

My thoughts. Most mechanics have a good sense of humor, this one got a little out of hand. !!!!!!

Well, that point works both ways. First the person needs to be in the secured area, second they need access to the scissor lift or whatever to get to that point, while in a secured area, then drive it to the back of the plane and go up. Then you have to assume that this person after getting away with all that and planting their bomb is going to give it all away with some conspicuous doodling.

The likelihood that this was done by any terrorist is next to zero. Most likely the last mechanics to service/check the APU.

Exactly, I reaaly don't think terrorist have such a sense of humor. ;)

Exactly, I reaaly don't think terrorist have such a sense of humor. ;)

Nor do ours.

Religious nuts often take them selves rather seriously.

YGBFKM. You're fully bought into the Security Theatre BS?

Back