Aircraft Rental in San Antonio, TX

LuisO

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
LuisO
Hello all,

This is my first post although I've been lurking here for a few months.

I'm visiting the San Antonio area next week and I'm trying to see what a good place would be to rent a plane there and fly around.

Found some threads but they are OLD and the businesses referenced don't seem to exist anymore.

Thanks!
Luis.

Boerne (BUR-NEE) Stage Airfield is an Open Airplane member and was cheapest in town when I researched 2 yrs ago. Equipment (172s and Cherokees) a little dated tho. www.5c1.net for info.

There's not much in the area, considering the population size. San Antonio is not a big GA hub. I hate saying it, but when I lived in shreveport the dynamics were similar. I know people don't want to hear it, but it's all about demographics.

Now before everybody gets all up in arms about it (like one dope did over at the space of mooneys) I'm not accusing anybody of keeping anybody down. I'm just saying that it has been my personal experience that GA rentals tend to be more popular amongst communities that share both affluence and a predominantly white demographic. College towns with aviation schools for example, locations in Florida in aggregate, etc etc. Towns with majority black or hispanic population? Not in my experience. Who knows.

Your best bet is to drive over to New Braunfels or San Marcos. At least their flights schools websites are updated and active. I'm not sure if they offer rentals in KSSF (stinson). Good luck.

Boerne has a decent fleet, so does Anderson Aviation in Bulverde. Don't know if Sky Safety is renting down at Stinson, but I suspect you could get a rental from Alpha Tango as well and I think that there is a Cirrus rental place as well.

There's not much in the area, considering the population size. San Antonio is not a big GA hub. I hate saying it, but when I lived in shreveport the dynamics were similar. I know people don't want to hear it, but it's all about demographics.

Now before everybody gets all up in arms about it (like one dope did over at the space of mooneys) I'm not accusing anybody of keeping anybody down. I'm just saying that it has been my personal experience that GA rentals tend to be more popular amongst communities that share both affluence and a predominantly white demographic. College towns with aviation schools for example, locations in Florida in aggregate, etc etc. Towns with majority black or hispanic population? Not in my experience. Who knows.

Your best bet is to drive over to New Braunfels or San Marcos. At least their flights schools websites are updated and active. I'm not sure if they offer rentals in KSSF (stinson). Good luck.
No need to sound like you're walking on glass. Facts are facts.

Thanks folks...Boerne it is, I just joined OpenAirplane, will get one of them "universal" checkouts there.

I also plan to visit San Marcos (for the RedBird stuff) but don't know if they offer rentals.

Thanks again for your answers.

Luis.

UPDATE: went to Boerne Stage, great folks there, almost got a Universal Pilot Checkout from OpenAirplane but weather prevented us...then traveled to Houston, went to KDWH and got a UPC in a 172 G1000 (yes!) at Texas Flight Service (great folks there too!), went back to Boerne a couple of days later and rented a 172, flew to Gillespie County (Fredericksburg) for lunch....great times flying in Texas Hill Country!...was a little tripped up by the ~1000' elevation (coming from FLAT Florida) but managed ok.

Back