aircraft rental EWR area (NJ)

danieln

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
daniel
Hi,

I recently moved to Jersey City. I usually fly from Farmingdale's Republic, but it is a pain getting there and back home, since I don't own a car, therefore limited to public transport.
I am in search for a closer airport to fly from, preferably in the NJ area near Newark. So far it seems the Teterboro is the easiest to reach from JC, with train service. However, I'm not even sure there are flight clubs that rent aircraft like C172, and probably the airport is congested with jets.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks!

Daniel

I haven't lived in Jersey for 9 years, but I'd imagine the closest rentals are at Linden just south of EWR even if rentals were available at the Teterhole, I'd say stay away. You'd likely burn up a lot of Hobbs time just sitting around waiting to takeoff.

I know what you mean about the PITA commute between Jersey City and Long Island, I do it everyday and I drive (work in JC). That's why when my wife and I visit Manhattan, we take the LIRR and leave the cars at home:D

I fly out of Republic but when I got PPL at Teterboro (1998-99 lived in Newark at the time) there were around three flight schools on the field.

Now there are none:(, and the cost of even landing a single engine plane there, is crazy!

So when I'm in the area to pickup friends or family, I have them meet me at Caldwell (Essex Co. KCDW) or Morristown (KMMU). Last I checked, Caldwell had flight training/rentals. Not sure about Morristown.

Never been to Linden airport, so I can't say.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, there's always MMU as well.

Edit to add: Yikes! The average price of 100LL at TEB is nearly $10/gallon.

Last edited:
I haven't lived in Jersey for 9 years, but I'd imagine the closest rentals are at Linden just south of EWR even if rentals were available at the Teterhole, I'd say stay away. You'd likely burn up a lot of Hobbs time just sitting around waiting to takeoff.

Yep, that's what it was like. Had I'd known that and did better research at the time, I probably would have gone somewhere else. My good friend was an Air Traffic Controller at TEB and encouraged me to come learn at 'his airport', but he never warned me of what I was getting into.

Well at least when he was on duty he'd get me off as quickly as possible, many times ahead of the big boys:). I did burn some hobbs time over the Oradell Reservoir a few times returning from the practice area, while waiting for clearance to enter the TEB Delta.

In hindsight, I'm glad I learned in such an environment, with three Class D airports and NY Bravo airspace and all the radio work required to safely navigate in and out of there!

Hey, no Teter-hole talk:nono:, overall it was a nice airport:lol:

Last edited:
Is think that either MMU, Central Jersey or Somerset would be best if Linden doesn't have rentals.

Last edited:
I think Linden would be the best option for you from Jersey City I know they have rentals and think they may even have a flying club located there as well. Just not sure about the logistics of getting there from Jersey City without a car

Thanks much for all the answers!!:)
Probably Linden is my best option, I'm going to check out the clubs over there. Google Maps tells me it's a matter of two trains (about an hour) so should be good.

I've heard the quote "I wouldn't land at Linden even if I was on fire" from at least one pilot.
Are MMU and CDW too far?

Back