Aircraft Re-registration

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Okay, we don't have an "aircraft ownership" forum so I guess I'll post this here...

My registration expires the end of September so I put a follow-up on my calender for April 1...six months out.

Curious...those of you who've already had to re-register...have your notifications come in a timely fashion and have you gone through the process without a hitch?

How far in advance did you receive the notice? (I looked on the FAA aircraft registration pages but couldn't find any specifics)

Thanks.

Last edited:
Tim, I received a notice card in the mail a couple of months before my expiration. I immediately got on the FAA website and renewed online. It was much simpler and easier than the original title swap and initial registration.

Six months. That's how much notice the FAA gave me, in a letter, before my registration expired.

In my case:

• my registration was set to expire Aug 31, 2015.
  • the FAA sent me the letter dated March 2, 2015.
  • the letter told me of a "file-by" date of June 30.
I re-registered online. It was easy. It cost $5. I received the new registration slip by snail mail within a few days.

Overall, I think the FAA handled it really well.

I keep a small fleet registered, timely post cards every time.
Do it as soon as it comes in, DO NOT put it on the desk in the "to do" pile. You will forget it or lose it (which leads to forgetting). They will not send a second reminder notice.

I just completed my second tri-annual re-registration. It's simple, you get the card in the mail with yer sekret code, you go to the majic FAA website and enter yer sekret code along with credit card payment and then in a week or two you get the new registration card for the aircraft.

It's all very hush-hush (British terminology) because aircraft are sekret but it is only $5 and you feel better for giving the government another fiver (or something).

As long as you have the magic number from the renewal and have ZERO changes to be made, it's absolutely straightforward (as long as you don't exceed the renewal window). Even if you procrastinate and mail it in, the turn around isn't that onerous.

However, that being said, I can tell you that the Aircraft Registration office otherwise is perhaps the MOST DIFFICULT group I've ever dealt with in the FAA (second only to John Lynch). It took me about 30 seconds to get my wife's name changed on her pilot's certificate and nearly 14 years to get it fixed on the aircraft registration after we got married.

It took me about 30 seconds to get my wife's name changed on her pilot's certificate and nearly 14 years to get it fixed on the aircraft registration after we got married.
That's more than long enough to be on your third wife!!! ;)

But, yea. Doing it on line right away - no problem.

Missing the deadline for doing it on line and mailing it in - u b skrewt.

I've done it a few time, just do it right away online, no big deal.

I got the letter in early December with reregistration due by March 31, did the online thing the last weekend of February and received my new registration card in the mail 3 or 4 business days later. I was surprised how fast the turnaround was.

I've renewed twice with ease, first time by Internet, second time by mail -- noticed that my zip code was incorrect, so I had to do a "change of address" to correct that.

Mine's coming up in October so I'll be looking for something in May or June. Thanks for the thread - good info.

Just a follow-up to document for those who have yet to go thru it.

Re-registration notice received yesterday. It was dated and postmarked April 1. Exactly 6 months prior to my expiration date.

It took me a whopping five minutes to re-register online this morning. They say the new registration will arrive in 10 working days.

Back