Aircraft Re-registration

PittsDriver

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
PittsDriver
Hopefully, everyone that owns a plane knows by now that the FAA is requiring re-registration of your bird. What you may not appreciate unless you've already been through the process is how they're responding to the backlog of work. The FAA has published some guidelines for filing but they make no provisions for you if their backlog means that they don't respond before your current registration turns into a pumpkin. No exceptions. Gary Ward, who is one of the top air show pilots in the country, who was scheduled to fly the air show at Sun and Fun this weekend, will not be flying because he filed on March 3 for an end of March expiration. The FAA has responded to him that his plane is grounded after the end of the month until they get to it.

OK, shame on Gary for not getting his paperwork in by the FAA's guideline: the end of January. But here's a guy with a currently valid registration, where nothing at all is changing about the registration, and he filed before the expiration that was imposed upon him by the process. I can't imagine any rationale that suggests a problem with flying on the registration pink copy other than capricious functionaries being indulged in draconian, homeland security sponsored, chock full of bovine scat, nonsense. Where's our alphabet orgs we all send our support to when we need them?

Here's the link to check when you're registration is due:
http://test.registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Inquiry.aspx?MailProcess=1

Attached is the letter from the FAA regarding their procedures.

Attachments

• SCAN4737_000.pdf
    49.8 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the link, I was wondering when I had to get mine done. There should be some provision for having the application sent, mine will go registered. Easy enough to have the registration extended with proof of such.

These Real Men of Genius make me feel better about selling my plane all the time!

I typed in an N number into that FAA page, and it says this about the backlog:
"The Registry is currently processing documents received on February 24, 2011."
Today is March 31st. :rolleyes:

I have contacted AOPA about this. I submitted my re-regisitration by mail as I missed the on-line deadline which was two months prior to the registration expiration. I submitted it by mail six weeks prior to the expiration.

I called the FAA number on their website to check if they had received the re-registration form and $5.00 fee. Several time I called the number and it was busy. When it did ring, I was placed on hold for a minimum of 30 minutes where, I'd be intentionally hung up on. I was persistant and kept calling back. The busy signal, then hold, then disconnect cycle was repeated at least six times. After waiting on hold another 30 - 40 minutes finally someone answered. I explained my situation, and immediately received a tirade of complaints that they were receiving too many re-registrations by mail and they could not say when they would get to them. The woman then went into a political rant about how "they" want to shut down the government and that would only delay things further.

I was polite and very respectfull and again asked if they received my re-registration and fee. After being place on hold again for another 15 minutes, she finally came back and said they did receive it, but would not provide any proof of receipt, but again started her rant about how they couldn't say when it would be processed.

AOPA indicated to keep a copy of the registration form that was submitted in the plane in case of a ramp check. I find this dubious advice. I also explained to the AOPA CSR of my treatment by the FAA, and he indicated it would be passed onto their legislative affairs people.

This is not good and typical of government run operations. NO ACCOUNTABILITY!

These Real Men of Genius make me feel better about selling my plane all the time!

That's exactly what the FAA wants. No personally owned GA aircraft not engaged in commercial activity The hoops and hassles get more difficult everyday, and we have no recourse.

Because an aircraft with an expired registration is not registered, its airworthiness certification would be considered ineffective. Without registration the aircraft is not authorized for flight. Once registration is restored, the airworthiness certificate not having been surrendered, revoked or terminated would become effective again provided it was otherwise compliant with maintenance, inspections, and any other requirements for an effective airworthiness. If you have further questions please contact an airworthiness inspector through your nearest Flight Standards District Office.

The key appears to be to file early. But not too early:
A re-registration application may be filed as much as 30 days before the three month re-registration window shown below. Applications made more than 30 days early will be returned to the registered owner with instructions to re-file the application and fee during the assigned time interval. Fees sent with a premature application will be refunded under separate cover. It is advised to file at the beginning of the assigned window. This will allow time to resolve any issue that may arise and delay re-registration.

And don't lose the code given in the first (and only the first) letter:
The first notice sent will have a code that enables on-line re-registration provided the current aircraft's ownership and registration address(es) match what is shown in our records, the ownership still meets citizenship requirements, and the $5 fee can be paid by credit card. Please proceed carefully; the on-line code is good for one use only.

And be glad you aren't Delta or some company like that:

Is there a way to pay for multiple on-line re-registration actions with one credit card payment?
No. At this time, each on-line re-registration must be paid for individually.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ication/aircraft_registry/reregistration_faq/

I can rather see the FAAs position in this. They were squeezed by Congress and the alphabet security agencies to do this, and probably weren't given any more resources to get it done. You think this is bad, wait until they start doing the photo IDs.

Nothing goes from me to the FAA that doesn't go registered. I don't have to ask them if they received anything, I know already.

I have contacted AOPA about this. I submitted my re-regisitration by mail as I missed the on-line deadline which was two months prior to the registration expiration. I submitted it by mail six weeks prior to the expiration.

This puzzles me. I can go to Amazon.com right now to place an order and have it tomorrow! There is no two month online deadline. WTF? What year is it again?

I called the FAA number on their website to check if they had received the re-registration form and $5.00 fee. Several time I called the number and it was busy. When it did ring, I was placed on hold for a minimum of 30 minutes where, I'd be intentionally hung up on. I was persistant and kept calling back. The busy signal, then hold, then disconnect cycle was repeated at least six times. After waiting on hold another 30 - 40 minutes finally someone answered. I explained my situation, and immediately received a tirade of complaints that they were receiving too many re-registrations by mail and they could not say when they would get to them. The woman then went into a political rant about how "they" want to shut down the government and that would only delay things further.
OK, now I get it. The FAA completely misjudged their audience with this online registration baloney. You see, 99% of the airplane owners I ever met was an old fart. Older than dirt. And, if they even know what a computer is, they operate it like this:

attachment.php

But by golly they do know how to fill out forms and stick a stamp on an envelope!

And that is why the FAA is up to their necks in paper registration renewal forms! :D

Attachments

• scotty_mac.jpg
    scotty_mac.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 181
Just want to make sure I understand how the registration renewal is being implemented -

I am supposed to make a trip in a rental Cherokee 6 next weekend and the FAA website shows the registration as expired and the link above shows no renewal currently being processed. The owner hasn't returned my calls yet, but if I am understanding everything correctly, this aircraft is NOT airworthy until the registration is renewed.

Is there any recourse/temporary fix? It sounds like even if the owner has a copy of the renewal he submitted, the aircraft is still not legal until the FAA processes it. We have a couple of airplanes in the club that expired last night and folks are flying today, but I just don't feel like being the guy that gets busted and made an example of.

Just want to make sure I understand how the registration renewal is being implemented -

I am supposed to make a trip in a rental Cherokee 6 next weekend and the FAA website shows the registration as expired and the link above shows no renewal currently being processed. The owner hasn't returned my calls yet, but if I am understanding everything correctly, this aircraft is NOT airworthy until the registration is renewed.

That's my understanding: "an aircraft with an expired registration is not registered, its airworthiness certification would be considered ineffective"

Is there any recourse/temporary fix?

Not according to the FAA.

No exceptions. Gary Ward, .....will not be flying because

Their plan is working. A grounded airplane is not a terrorist threat. Now if they could only get more grounded.

I was polite and very respectfull and again asked if they received my re-registration and fee. After being place on hold again for another 15 minutes, she finally came back and said they did receive it, but would not provide any proof of receipt, but again started her rant about how they couldn't say when it would be processed.

AOPA indicated to keep a copy of the registration form that was submitted in the plane in case of a ramp check. I find this dubious advice. I also explained to the AOPA CSR of my treatment by the FAA, and he indicated it would be passed onto their legislative affairs people.

This is not good and typical of government run operations. NO ACCOUNTABILITY!

Our flight school has one of it's airplanes grounded - we submitted the re-registration forms six weeks in advance (can't do it too early or it will be rejected), FAA is behind, and our registration is "expired". FSDO says we cannot fly the airplane until the new registration arrives. Lots of folks in the same boat. Individual owners may be able to get away with flying, but not our school as we're a 141 operation and we get supervised and audited. Local FSDO airworthiness guy is sympathetic but knows of no workaround.

Hopefully, everyone that owns a plane knows by now that the FAA is requiring re-registration of your bird.

We were lucky in two ways:
- We were in the very first group.
- I managed to see the whole thing coming via the FAA website and alert our LLC guy who does the Registration stuff.

He turned it in way early and being that we were in the first wave, no backlog yet. We had our new Registration back quick, and stuffed it in the airplane.

Lucky us. I was originally complaining about having to go first... Guess that was the best place in line to be.

I registered on-line and was surprised at how quick, easy, and painless it was. Equally surprising was how quickly the new registration came in the mail. This efficiency and speed was unexpected. :dunno:

I registered on-line and was surprised at how quick, easy, and painless it was. Equally surprising was how quickly the new registration came in the mail. This efficiency and speed was unexpected. :dunno:

That's fine if you applied on line prior to the two month cutoff. With my work and travel schedule, things just aren't on the radar screen that far out. Many, including myself did not realize that six or seven weeks prior to expiration following the exact FAA mail in procedures would be anywhere near an issue. :dunno:

Same here, on-line was painless and the new registration was in hand in a week or so. Curiously, a second registration appeared a week later, marked "CORRECTED". Side by side, they were identical. :dunno:

Gary

So if the feds are too busy to get aircraft re-registered in a timely manner are they also too busy for actions against pilots flying unregistered airplanes?:crazy:
Yeah I know the answer.

According to one guy that posted on the aerobatic forum, as of the end of March they were working on apps they had received on 2/24.

This puzzles me. I can go to Amazon.com right now to place an order and have it tomorrow! There is no two month online deadline. WTF? What year is it again?

Amazon doesn't have to get permission from the TSA/DHS to send you something.:rolleyes2:

And the point of this registration exercise is what again?

To make sure that no terrorists who own aircraft and are willing to self identify go unnoticed by Homeland Security.

Or it could be an FAA full employment maneuver to justify more people or larger budgets.

I can't decide which.

If enough politicians are influenced by their respective support groups to shutdown the government then I suspect the renewal time will be getting much longer :cryin:.

FYI, I put in for my renewal about three weeks ago and got the registration in the mail a couple of days ago.

Does anyone know of anyone getting an FAA violation for flying with and expired registration certificate?

Does anyone know of anyone getting an FAA violation for flying with and expired registration certificate?
Yes. Go here and search on violations involving 91.203. Almost all of those cases involve violations of other sections, but a couple only involve lack of valid registration. And those are only the ones appealed all the way to the NTSB -- the vast majority don't get that far before the violator gives up and accepts the punishment.

Back