Aircraft Purchase.

I recall seeing a comment that at some point (G5 or G6) Cirrus put metal fuel tanks inside the wing instead of the wet wing composite. I've searched both the web and POA and cannot find what I read that made me think that. Given some of the post crash fires (there is a video of a dramatic one here:https://video.foxnews.com/v/4532200/#sp=show-clips) seem to be attributable to the composite structure shattering and spraying fuel all over the place that would be of significant interest to me. Anybody have any idea where I'd have seen that or if it's true?

John

Not much to add to the OP's original question, but I remember hearing on more than one occasion that there are more homebuilt aircraft built every year than light Certified aircraft, total. If true, that is where the aviation avocation is going.

Stands to reason. When you buy a certified A/C, new, you are paying for parts and labor. Also, for fixed costs, such as management, facilities, as well as design, engineering, and certification by the FAA. Plus, insurance. A lot for insurance.

The consensus here is, you are usually getting a used homebuilt for about the price of the parts in the plane. Labor is free. Facilities are free, etc. Of course, you generally can't go after the original builder if there's a problem, but if it passed its 25 or 40 hour initial flight test period, its probably built pretty well.

Of course, unless you get a SODA (I prefer Pepsi), you can't use an experimental for commercial purposes.

Back