Aircraft Piper PA28 Cherokee 140

Steven Docherty

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
1965 Cherokee 140
Have a question, I am a student pilot and have purchased a Cherokee 140 for training. My question is, What cheap GPS should I purchase and whats the average install fee. I also have fourflight.

Thanks

Steven D

I guess once i have finished whats the recommendations

panel 172.jpg I have used them all. My favorite is the Garmin 696. I also have my Ipad Pro 10.5 with wing X. I put the 696 in my radio stack section of the 172.

If you are contemplating an instrument rating in the future, then a WAAS GPS is de rigueur, e.g. GNS or GTN series, although the GNS systems are getting long in the tooth now. Otherwise, a good tablet or portable GPS with WX capability is adequate for VFR travel. There is no "cheap" GPS panel mount solution.

I have a GNS430W for IFR navigation, and use an AERA 510 for GPS backup and XM WX, plus a yoke mounted tablet EFB with redundant GPS. Some serious crap must happen for me to lose all GPS nav due to in plane issues. The AERA is about to be supplanted with an NGT9000 for WX. For VFR travel, I don't really need the GNS, but is sure is nice, especially since it drives the autopilot.

Honestly, I have a hard time recommending any "cheap" GPS these days. If you're putting it in the panel, it makes sense to get it IFR certified. Otherwise, as mentioned in the thread, there's not much point to it anymore. Having chosen to put a GPS in the panel, there are a few new choices, none cheap and really only one used choice that makes sense, also not cheap. In the used "cheap" market lie the KLN and Apollo units. Both have the same problem: extremely limited data cards and highly compromised support. They aren't going to have much life left to them before all support is ended. They also both have data cards that are no longer in production, with the companies desperately recycling cards to extend the life. After you've paid the considerable labor to have them installed in your panel, generally exceeding the cost of the unit, you won't have something that is particularly useful in the panel and won't raise the value of the plane.

In the used market, there is really only one unit worth looking at, and that's the Garmin GNS series. The used prices reflect this, as they're more than half the cost of a brand-new GTN. The non-WAAS units are ending support, so that really leaves you with only the WAAS units. And they're pricey. However, they're functional. They'll do nearly everything the GTN series will do, just without the sharp screen or easy interface. You'll be twiddling knobs instead of taping. WAAS also has the advantage of feeding an ADS-B transponder, saving the cost of an internal GPS receiver in whatever unit you choose, should you go that route.

In the new market, you've got Garmin and you've got Avidyne, both expensive. Bendix/King is in the market, but their unit is crap. I believe the Garmin unit is better, and that's what I installed in my plane. Others like the hard buttons of the Avidyne, but I didn't like the smaller screen and lower integration with my portable electronics.

If it were up to me, I think the best bang-for-the-buck (though hardly cheapest) choice would be to leave your radios alone. Buy and install a Garmin GTN-625 (GPS-only, no nav, no comm). Buy and install a Garmin G5 HSI. (You need an indicator to make it IFR legal and the G5 is not much more than a stand-alone indicator but provides far more function.) About $15,000 all-in. Yeah, it's 3X the price of a "cheap" GPS installed, which would be about $5,000. However, it's a one to two decade solution over a stopgap measure.

I did my IR in my Cherokee 140 with no GPS. Cheers.

For VFR flight the cheapest is going to be an iPad with a Foreflight subscription and an ADSB-in widget. Gives you moving map and a whole lot more. Worry about the panel mount GPS when you train for the IFR rating.

For VFR flight the cheapest is going to be an iPad with a Foreflight subscription and an ADSB-in widget. Gives you moving map and a whole lot more. Worry about the panel mount GPS when you train for the IFR rating.

Agreed.

I'm doing the same with my C-150. DME, VOR w/GS, turn 10, twist 10. :)

Yea I didn’t even have DME haha. Two VORs, two KX170Bs. Right before my checkride we installed a G5 HSI and a new Garmin radio GNC255 which made a world of difference. The GNC255 isn’t certified for DME but it does give me full DME info. Was able to use it on the checkride as DME

I wouldn't bother, for VFR flying -- tablet plus receiver works great.

For IR, if you want to get the rating to check that box off, I wouldn't get one either---anything in the plane is fair game on the check ride, and if you have an IFR GPS then you can be required to demonstrate that you know how to do everything it can do (which can be a lot). Your mileage may vary depending on your DPE, but if it isn't in the plane you can't be tested on it.

On the other hand, if you want the instrument rating because you expect to fly a lot of GPS approaches, then get one you'll be comfortable with using for that and get proficient with it.

However, as others have said, I'd probably wait until after your primary training and some hours on top of that just to make sure you don't feel like you're going to outgrow the 140---you might.

Agree with many other here about a panel GPS not needed, but very helpful. DPE's will let you use the NRST feature for your PPL diversion airport. That's pretty useful.

Other have said too, it depends how long you plane to keep the plane. No GPS harms resale, as most new owners would rather have one than not. Table stakes is a 430, with 430W gaining some resale uplift.

I did my IR in my Cherokee 140 with no GPS. Cheers.

I'm staring mine right now in an Arrow with no GPS or DME. Just dual VOR's and an iPad for situational awareness. ;)

Back