Aircraft Paint Value

Definitely do NOT paint it. Putting money into a plane to make it sell easier is what you do in a soft market. When the market is crazy, you sell what you’ve got as is. :)

Remember your favorite color or design may not be the buyers favorite.
So before you paint your plane, better make sure it’s appealing to everyone. Today’s buyers may not like your choices.

As someone who just sold, then bought, in this market, I completely disagree with posts above...you will get your money back out if you paint it. This market is insane. Clean planes, newly painted planes, and planes without squawks sell in minutes right now, for absolute top dollar. I sold my cherokee for a ridiculous price, with the buyer/plane sight unseen. Then, I bought my arrow and paid about twice what arrows were going for a year ago...and then found out the insurance companies haven't "caught up" with the current market, so getting hull value was tough. I already have been offered (twice now) 30%+ more on my arrow than I paid for it a month ago.
This makes no sense. You sold your plane sight unseen. Pictures hide all but the absolutely worst paint issues. Dumping money into a plane in a market where people are buying them sight unseen makes no sense.

This makes no sense. You sold your plane sight unseen. Pictures hide all but the absolutely worst paint issues. Dumping money into a plane in a market where people are buying them sight unseen makes no sense.

People are buying pictures of rocks (NFTs), houses with cash , stock market at new highs…too much money looking for a place to go. Feds in denial, transitory inflation my a%%…

They are only buying sight unseen when they are cherry. When they are not, they are the ones you see listed pending, then back for sale, then pending, then back for sale...one plane I saw went "pending" about a half dozen times so far. Its now back to "for sale".

They are only buying sight unseen when they are cherry. When they are not, they are the ones you see listed pending, then back for sale, then pending, then back for sale...one plane I saw went "pending" about a half dozen times so far. Its now back to "for sale".
Again, makes no sense. You don’t know it’s cherry if you don’t see it.

I'm in the sell as is camp. Good luck. I have a friend with a 1973 C182 that is for sale. Paint is 8/10 he is asking $95,000. ACTT 2591, ETFR 978 if anyone is interested

Thanks again for the input, y'all.

I'll make a decision soon and try to figure out a price that that fits the market. Not really sure where to start but I'll start somewhere and work from there. Annual is due this month, so I'll fix a few little sqwaks then, clean her up good, and see what happens.

Ads-b out I’d move up the list. Most planes I saw without it had other items deferred so it became a warning sign.

Polish and wax it then call it Patina.
You may as well list it as is now with the caveats or options, get some good estimates for the buyer to pay more if they wish but odds are they will think they can beat whatever price quoted and do things at their leisure. All buyers are optimistic
Not to mention any APs or brokers that see there are dollars o be made on the flip

Back