Aircraft Paint Care: What Products? What Order?

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
So the paint on our Skylane is 47yrs old and still in darned good shape. I'd like to keep it that way. Sure, the front cowl is a bit beat up from being off/on like 200 times over the years for oil changes and annuals but otherwise the rest still looks bright and relatively shiny. But there are so many products out there not to mentioned what order to do things in?

So lets say you just bought a 47yr old plane and the paint is in really good condition and you want to keep it that way as long as possible. How would you care for it? What products would you use? What order would you use them in? Assume it sits in a hangar when not being flown about 100hrs per year.

I use Adam's Polishes products mostly. I've used Megs M105/M205, Adams Buttery Wax, Adams H20 Guard & Gloss, and Adams detail spray/waterless wash on mine.

Kerosene
9e60442e2f05290cc59e8b04423173dd.jpg
db66304b21db9cf8e47816f2363c97e3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I use Adam's Polishes products mostly. I've used Megs M105/M205, Adams Buttery Wax, Adams H20 Guard & Gloss, and Adams detail spray/waterless wash on mine.
So I take it you do the following:

First do all of this on the same day (or as close as possible) in this order:
1. Wash it with soap and water
2. Wax it.
3. Then the H20 Guard and Gloss

Then after each flight or two (depends on bugs, rain, dust, etc):
4. Detail spray / waterless wash

Then repeat 1...3 every year or two?

Do you put on the H20 Guard and Gloss in between waxing or only after you just waxed?

Kerosene

Would you mind explaining "Kerosene". Is that all you use? Or just to clean before wax? Or am I being totally naïve :)

Would you mind explaining "Kerosene". Is that all you use? Or just to clean before wax? Or am I being totally naïve :)
Sure... After washing, I wipe it down with kerosene (don't smoke while you do it ). It will "dry" and leave a film. Wipe it to a deep shine.
This is what it looks like on my car and truck.
A nice side benefit... Put a cup in your wash water and it will act like a corrosion inhibitor as it runs down into the airframe.
It's cheap and easy. The paint on the Mooney is original and not in good shape and it makes that look good.
f9e9b94ede344089bcaeda9313fa61aa.jpg
29e47ce7378e586549a6b1eae5a85a5f.jpg

So I take it you do the following:

First do all of this on the same day (or as close as possible) in this order:
1. Wash it with soap and water
2. Wax it.
3. Then the H20 Guard and Gloss

Then after each flight or two (depends on bugs, rain, dust, etc):
4. Detail spray / waterless wash

Then repeat 1...3 every year or two?

Do you put on the H20 Guard and Gloss in between waxing or only after you just waxed?
1. Wash...Adam's Shampoo with microfiber/wool wash pad and 2 bucket method with grit guards.
2. Claybar
3. Compound/Polish if you're comfortable doing it.
4. H2O Guard and Gloss
5. Buttery Wax, or any other. Americana is Adam's longest lasting...they also just came out with a ceramic liquid wax, but I haven't tried it yet.

You can top the wax with more H2O GG. It works great for a drying aid if you do a traditional wash somewhat regularly. I apply it to the leading edges using the dry application method every few flights to make it easier to remove the bugs. Detail Spray/Waterless Wash for pre/post flight denastification and as a clay lube. Ultima Waterless Wash is an alternative that comes in a concentrate and can be used as a DS/WW if you want something cheaper.

Kerosene

Doesn’t it leave an oily film that picks up dust? Or not once you buff it dry? Very interesting...

So you put a cup right in with the suds?

Doesn’t it leave an oily film that picks up dust? Or not once you buff it dry? Very interesting...

So you put a cup right in with the suds?
No oily residue, at least none that I can feel. It does not leave fingerprints when you put your finger in it.
I put one cup in the wash water bucket which is about 5 gallons.
I will also just wipe the plane down with a rag soaked with kerosene, let it dry and buff it out. It will remove light oxidation as well. Been doing it for years.
Try it on a discrete section if you are unsure.

Sure... After washing, I wipe it down with kerosene (don't smoke while you do it ). It will "dry" and leave a film. Wipe it to a deep shine.
This is what it looks like on my car and truck.
A nice side benefit... Put a cup in your wash water and it will act like a corrosion inhibitor as it runs down into the airframe.
It's cheap and easy. The paint on the Mooney is original and not in good shape and it makes that look good.
f9e9b94ede344089bcaeda9313fa61aa.jpg
29e47ce7378e586549a6b1eae5a85a5f.jpg

Thanks for following up on how you use it. I must admit, I never would have thought of using Kerosene! So I take it you don't even wax after this as it already leaves the shine you were looking for?

One of the reasons we exist is because our founding partners 1947 Cessna 195 needed better products than those being tested and sold into aviation.

You can view our complete product line here: https://planeperfect.us/collections/all
And testimonials (including some from PoA) here: https://planeperfect.us/pages/frontpage
Some irony here...today a bottle of Budda Belly should be arriving (ordered on Friday). I did the Gojo scrub last fall before the annual and it wasn't much fun (but seemed to work) so this will give me a nice comparison.

So from your page where you sell an entire kit it looks like you recommend the following (in order):

1. EcoClean (waterless wash with light carnuba wax layer)
2. Budda Belly for the bottom, oil, etc.
3. Wing Wipe over entire plane (contains a nano sealant, for final shine)

....so a few questions:

Why not use Budda Belly first, then use the EcoClean on everything including the belly?

Unlike @ktup-flyer, you end with a sealant vs a wax - just curious why?

After your get the plane done (1...3) what do you use after a flight to clean off the bugs/dust?

Anything decent quality that you'd use on a car, you can use on an aeroplane. I'm a fan of blackfire wet diamond, personally.

I don't put much stock in airplane specific wash/wax stuff. Specially formulated to cost you more money while doing the exact same damn thing... unless you're talking about degreaser. Then I'd pop for something that will play nice with the skin of the aircraft.
I will admit I am more curious about the ideal order of what is done vs specific products. When I grew up, the car was washed with dish soap and water, rinsed and waxed (eg turtle wax). Done. Nowadays there seems to be specialized cleaners, sealants, waterless wash / detailers and all kinds of waxes. So I am trying to figure our the right order to things vs locking onto a single line of products. However, if someone has found a good solution (Adams, Kerosene :), PlanePerfect, etc) I will definitely listen up.

Thanks for following up on how you use it. I must admit, I never would have thought of using Kerosene! So I take it you don't even wax after this as it already leaves the shine you were looking for?
Have not waxed a single vehicle, including airplanes, since I have been doing this.

No oily residue, at least none that I can feel. It does not leave fingerprints when you put your finger in it.
I will also just wipe the plane down with a rag soaked with kerosene, let it dry and buff it out. It will remove light oxidation as well. Been doing it for years.

No reason Jet A wouldn’t work then is there? As that’s available right on the field...

Some irony here...today a bottle of Budda Belly should be arriving (ordered on Friday). I did the Gojo scrub last fall before the annual and it wasn't much fun (but seemed to work) so this will give me a nice comparison.

So from your page where you sell an entire kit it looks like you recommend the following (in order):

1. EcoClean (waterless wash with light carnuba wax layer)
2. Budda Belly for the bottom, oil, etc.
3. Wing Wipe over entire plane (contains a nano sealant, for final shine)

....so a few questions:

Why not use Budda Belly first, then use the EcoClean on everything including the belly?

Unlike @ktup-flyer, you end with a sealant vs a wax - just curious why?

After your get the plane done (1...3) what do you use after a flight to clean off the bugs/dust?

You don't need to eco clean the belly because it's already clean, so it doesn't need to be cleaned and the sealant in wing wipe is better than the carnauba in eco clean. EcoClean is a one step system, and has all the "one step" compromises.

If you really want to get a baseline shine.

1) Wash the whole thing with Dawn. This will remove previous waxes also.

2) Clean the belly with Buddha Belly (because it's easier and more effective than dawn).

3) Rinse everything well.

4) Seal with Perfect Seal and Protect

5) After flights, clean leading edges with Wing Wipe and windows with Eyes Outside.

6) If you get dusty, detail with Wing Wipe.

I’m trying it! Sounds like it was a popular trick back on the day cars had single stage paint but no longer with clear coats on cars. Our birds are painted with that old fashioned single stage paint. Sounds like kerosene or even more volatile chemicals are in many or most cleaner waxes and other classic car care products..

Sounds like you can buy kerosene for $4.00 a gallon or pay $20 for a pint of a product that’s base is kerosene. Just like contact cleaner that’s $8 a spray can or $3 for a quart of 91% rubbing alcohol and both are the same thing!

Thanks for the tip! Definitely going to try it.

Does it actually mix with the water? I would think intuitively it wouldn’t...

I’m trying it! Sounds like it was a popular trick back on the day cars had single stage paint but no longer with clear coats on cars. Our birds are painted with that old fashioned single stage paint. Sounds like kerosene or even more volatile chemicals are in many or most cleaner waxes and other classic car care products..

Sounds like you can buy kerosene for $4.00 a gallon or pay $20 for a pint of a product that’s base is kerosene. Just like contact cleaner that’s $8 a spray can or $3 for a quart of 91% rubbing alcohol and both are the same thing!

Thanks for the tip! Definitely going to try it.

Does it actually mix with the water? I would think intuitively it wouldn’t...
It will mix temporary, but I have to swirl it around with the rag, then wash the plane.
I will use it as a "dry wash" as well. Just wipe on, wipe off, buff off the haze when it dries.

No reason Jet A wouldn’t work then is there? As that’s available right on the field...
I think Jet-A has other additives. I use straight kerosene like you use in torpedo heaters.

I use a mild car wash detergent, and a California Magic Duster to keep it clean between fairly infrequent washes. Meguiar's Quik Detailer is good stuff to use periodically.
The silver parts of the scheme are easy; they don't show dirt that much.

Simple Green (aircraft formulation) is great for belly-cleaning at annual.

IMG_2585.jpg

Back