aircraft manufacturer deceptive advertising to non-pilots

I was told the FAA gave Cessna heat for their ads touting C-150's as 4 seaters, skinny mom and dad and two barely toddles in the cargo area baby seat.
1966-Cessna-150-2page-Ad.jpg

That family's not going very far in that airplane anyway ... without wings and struts, let alone seat belts ... :D

That is a 1966 150E.
The 1966 model was the 150F. N6233R's serial number was 150-61533, which makes it the first production 150F, after an experimental 150F prototype (N5423E). That was the big change year, with the swept tail, larger doors and windows, electric flaps, enlarged baggage area, etc. Cessna dropped the price 10% from the '65 150E, and they delivered 3,000 of them -- more than any other lightplane in a single model year.

It must have been fixed, because ten years after that accident it was exported to Canada, where it flew as C-GYJE until its registration was canceled in 2002.

This has become a great thread. There are a lot of these i want to print off and hang in my office

I don't suppose that Jap Hunting License would be PC to ask for today?

Wow, totally missed that. Maybe we should ask Cessna / Textron legal? I used to have a WWII era copy of an aero engineering journal magazine at work, until it was stolen off my desk. Had a full page ad for some instrument manufacturer that started out in 72 point font, "Sure, I like hunting Japs..."

The all-time, world record for blarney in airplane advertising has to go to the brochure below:

Attachments

• BD-1_brochure1.jpg
    BD-1_brochure1.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 50
  • BD-1_brochure2.jpg
    BD-1_brochure2.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 56
  • BD-1_brochure3.jpg
    BD-1_brochure3.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 52
  • BD-1_brochure4.jpg
    BD-1_brochure4.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 50
No problem...that was back in the day when people would let their kids stand up in the front seats and get launched throught the windshield when they had to slam on brakes. It happened to my wife riding with her grandmother. In retrospect, I guess that explains a few things now! ;) :D

If you never rode in the back window lying on the shelf in a 70s car, you haven't lived! LOL!

If you never rode in the back window lying on the shelf in a 70s car, you haven't lived! LOL!

Ha...been there and done that, except it was in the 60's. :D
Reminds me of a saying my wife's uncle (that taught me to fly) use to say after each lesson when we would get out of the plane. "We've cheated death again and lived to tell about it". He was a General in the Air Force and had flown a wde array of military planes. I'm sure over his span in the AF he really did cheat death a few times.

When our HS finally started using charter busses for long road trips I learned that the O/H bag racks were comfortable places to sleep during the trip home after the game.

Or perhaps thats why you DID live :rofl:

For everyone who bemoans the cirrus advertising and blames them for attracting the "wrong sort of pilots", a little history lesson is in order:

it "makes flying more practical for those who don't have time to become "professional" amateur pilots"

I like the "You drive it down" bit. Sure, go ahead and land on that nosewheel. LOL.

OUCH... and I'm a piper fan... That sounds like an Airbus ad! I guess all the greats had fallen to the corporate necessities of advertising. History does repeat itself.

I just rode back First Class and that ad makes the cabin look like an open campsite!

The guy in the LS can't even possibly reach the controls but, #@$-it, he's comfy!

Ironically, the only person looking for traffic is the poor #@$tard in the back, looking out for his impending doom.

Mental note, ads never seem to depict the reality of pilots and passengers creeping out of a single side door shaped like question marks.

Start with Yoga exercises before entering or exiting low wing a/c.

High wing... keep back curved like a grilled shrimp whilst below wing.

Last edited:
Looks like lots of headroom in a Mooney Mite, right?

M18_1208_02.jpg

... Not when a normal-sized person (in this case, 6'3" Peter Bowers) gets in one!

M18_1208_01.jpg

Hope he has the canopy locked open. That would hurt like 4311 if it rattled! That's how I look in a glider pw6-u. It closes though, only slightly though. I'm only 6'. I am thinking of a helton Lark or a Culver Cadet. Looks like i'll just fit! :)

He got his 'biscuits and mustard' in the morning.

Who is the much smaller guy in the top pic? looks like an over-fed-over-thrown ruler of years past.

This is an awesome thread!

Last edited:
Hope he has the canopy locked open. That would hurt like 4311 if it rattled! That's how I look in a glider pw6-u. It closes though, only slightly though. I'm only 6'. I am thinking of a helton Lark or a Culver Cadet. Looks like i'll just fit! :)
You might need a ground crew to turn the airplane upside down and shake you out when you arrive.

Upon seeing a tiny homebuilt, an old instructor of mine once said, "That's so small you have to get out to change your mind!"

:D

Here's the original ad for my plane. Actually, not much that isn't true ...
l-80ius2tz9h5frr.jpg

These are some great ads.

The real question - why didn't Cessna and Piper keep on with the same advertising campaigns as Cirrus eventually did? They actually produce planes that make better trainers.

These are some great ads.

The real question - why didn't Cessna and Piper keep on with the same advertising campaigns as Cirrus eventually did? They actually produce planes that make better trainers.

Dunno. Part of it is where to put the ads. I'm guessing these ads were in magazines like Popular Mechanics, back in the day that magazine and one or two others probably delivered 95% of the audience they wanted. A lot harder to capture everyone now. C&P probably have the same ad guys as 40 years ago, now clueless, running out the retirement clock. Besides the planes C&P sells are identical to the ones in those ads, which is sad, and a tough sell to people that are not already pilots and accepted that the stuff hasn't changed.

Here's the original ad for my plane. Actually, not much that isn't true ...

Did Navions ever have a wire braced horiz. stab as shown in the artwork? Not too familiar with the type but I don't recall ever seeing one like that.

I think that's the period ADF antenna not bracing. I still had an insulator for that at one point on my plane. With the sliding canopy there's a limit to how far forward you can put the sense wire. As it is, when I open my canopy it covers up my XM antenna.

OUCH... and I'm a piper fan... That sounds like an Airbus ad! I guess all the greats had fallen to the corporate necessities of advertising. History does repeat itself.

I just rode back First Class and that ad makes the cabin look like an open campsite!

The guy in the LS can't even possibly reach the controls but, #@$-it, he's comfy!

Ironically, the only person looking for traffic is the poor #@$tard in the back, looking out for his impending doom.

Mental note, ads never seem to depict the reality of pilots and passengers creeping out of a single side door shaped like question marks.

Start with Yoga exercises before entering or exiting low wing a/c.

High wing... keep back curved like a grilled shrimp whilst below wing.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: almost lost my sip of coffee:lol:.

wow! That cockpit is huge!

Last edited:
Back