Aircraft Insurance

Luigi

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Luigi
I tried a search of past aircraft insurance threads and came up with nothing. I need a recommendation for a broker /company for my aircraft insurance renewal. Thanks.

AOPA Insurance Services is an insurance company, not a broker -- they sell only their own products. For a broker who will shop the full market and offer you several options from which to choose, along with his recommendations and analyses of those policies, I highly recommend Norris Hibbler at Aircraft & Marine, who has been our broker for about 20 years.
http://www.aircraftandmarine.com/

Thanks Ron. AOPA was more expensive than my current broker with AIG.

I went through EAA and the company they use, Falcon Insurance. I thought the price was very good.

I use avemco,have had good luck with them. They did my twin when I had low hours. Now they do my single very competitive.

A few of us here at POA use Tom Johnson (TJ) at Air Power insurance. He is an excellent broker. He handles my Baron.

I have had good service with Avemco on my 170. Their rates vary from reasonable to quite ridiculous depending on the aircraft and pilot time, but customer service and coverage is excellent.

40 years with Avemco. One claim which they paid immed. Easy to talk to and they will explain exactly how aviation policy's differ if you ask. There really are differences in what you get. Cheaper is not usually better. I talk to brian. They are not brokers. They are direct.

Best rates for my situation (a/c type, experience etc) have always been that found by my broker, Facer Insurance. I have a lifetime supply of Avemco caps as I get 2 quotes/yr from them but they are always 50% higher. I know they pay claims well as I have heard of a few problem-free claims; my strategy has been to avoid claims so I can't say how my company would do.
http://www.facer-ins.com/html/contact.htm
Facer Insurance Agency, Inc.
Address: 554 Libery Avenue, Rantoul, IL 61866
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 898, Rantoul, IL 61866
Phone: 1-800-727-2147
Fax: 1-217-892-9726
Nancy Bruno <nbruno.facer01@insuremail.net> (my broker)

AOPA Insurance Services is an insurance company, not a broker -- they sell only their own products. For a broker who will shop the full market and offer you several options from which to choose, along with his recommendations and analyses of those policies, I highly recommend Norris Hibbler at Aircraft & Marine, who has been our broker for about 20 years.
http://www.aircraftandmarine.com/

Aopa Insurance Services is an agency, not an underwriter. Most of more common aircraft are underwriiten hrough Starr and USAIG. They represent most of the available market.

AVEMCO is the only direct writer.

I tried a search of past aircraft insurance threads and came up with nothing. I need a recommendation for a broker /company for my aircraft insurance renewal. Thanks.

Falcon.

I found AOPA and Falcon quotes basically the same. AOPA does shop other carriers.

I have quotes out now on an Archer and since they are the same, I'll probably go with AOPA since I am a member as well.

What you will find is when you work with one broker, you may not get many quotes using another broker because they are shopping the same carriers. Once you have a broker on record, the carriers won't requote it to another.

I found AOPA and Falcon quotes basically the same. AOPA does shop other carriers.
AOPA is not a carrier. They have to shop "carriers." They've had arrangements in the past were they pretty much got one company to underwrite all their policies, but deal kind of fell apart.

I've never found any AOPA-endorsed service to be a good deal for anybody but AOPA.

I use avemco,have had good luck with them. They did my twin when I had low hours. Now they do my single very competitive.

For many reasons I'd go with Avemco, one of which is they hold up their end of the deal and pay out if something happens.

I'd rather save my money and not insure then give it to a company that won't have my back if something happens.

AOPA is not a carrier. They have to shop "carriers." They've had arrangements in the past were they pretty much got one company to underwrite all their policies, but deal kind of fell apart.

I've never found any AOPA-endorsed service to be a good deal for anybody but AOPA.

Well, I don't know really. All I can say is Falcon and AOPA returned almost dollar for dollar 3 weeks ago. Avemco was almost 25%ish more for the same coverage.

I'm not partial to any one of them really. I just see dollars to be honest.

Much of it depends on your flying history, total time, time in type, so forth. Always check what the policy covers for the price charged. Some do not cover your flying into a fly in! Check what they do and do not cover.....carefully. Cheaper is usually more expensive in the end. Insurance company's go to great lengths to avoid paying a claim. Notorious for fine print.

Last edited:
Anyone have any gripes with Global Aerospace or QBE insurance? Those are my two lowest quotes right now.

Anyone have any gripes with Global Aerospace or QBE insurance? Those are my two lowest quotes right now.

My broker has me with Global. There was one lower carrier but my broker said stay with Global. They like how Global takes care of claims and wanted to see a track record from the other carrier before using them.

Thanks for the Pirep....

Like Ron, my broker is through aircraft and marine. However I use Justin Wulf. Great broker who will shop around and get you the best rate and policy.

Based on my experience with three brokers, I think I have found the bottom line.

I have two identical quotes from Falcon and AOPA. It seems there are some with animosity against AOPA which I don't understand. I am inclined to bind with AOPA at this point because I am a member already. What say the peanut gallery?

Based on my experience with three brokers, I think I have found the bottom line.

I have two identical quotes from Falcon and AOPA. It seems there are some with animosity against AOPA which I don't understand. I am inclined to bind with AOPA at this point because I am a member already. What say the peanut gallery?
the brokers are shopping the same companies. Only avemco (i think they are the only one) sells direct. Get an avemco quote plus your favourite broker and you have covered the field.

John Sweeney at Aviation Insurance Resources has always been easy to deal with. Never had to make a claim.

That's a whole different can of worms. The reason I didn't go with AOPA with my insurance was that it took them close to 3 weeks to get back to me after I initially contacted them. EAA took 2 days. To me it's about the service. I will gladly pay more for stuff if the service is better, but since AOPA couldn't even get me a quote or put me in contact with anybody, then too bad for them.

I have had a different experience with them. My emails have been answered very quickly and have had follow up calls.

Falcon was another story...I called twice and emailed once with no help. Finally I called and asked for a manager before I got somewhere.

I'll put in my 2 cents for Falcon also. I fly a taildragger and they can be more difficult and more expensive to insure. I shopped with Avemco, Falcon, AOPA and Air-Pros. Falcon came up with a quote that beat the others by a long shot. I just renewed with Falcon and they moved me to another insurer and that saved me even more. I've never processed a claim, but in 2 years, I've saved more than $1,200 compared to the highest quotes I received and that makes me a happy camper!

Back