Aircraft Insurance Choices

PittsDriver

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
PittsDriver
I'm considering a change in agent/company for my aircraft insurance and was wondering if anyone here was anything positive or negative to say about Avemco?

I heard a rumor that they'll drop you after any claim. Anyone had that experience?

I know an Avemco user who did not get dropped after an um, incident, and neither did their rate go up.

I use Avemco and have no complaints, but also have not filed a claim with them... Hope I never have to.

Mike

I know of a good guy with Falcon if you want his info.

My only complaint with Avemco has been their prices are high - so I don't use them.

Been very happy with my company, which has given me great rates. My broker does an excellent job. PM me if you want her contact info.

You should suggest that you shop several agents.

Have heard both good and bad about Avemco's rates - when I originally shopped mine, they were stupid-high (like, 50% above others), but I know many other people for whom Avemco had the lowest quote. Funny.

I would advise with my very strongest endorsement that you at least call Alejandro Galioto, at True-Course Aviation Insurance - he has been extremely responsive, got me a significant reduction, and I know from validated testimony that, in the event of a claim, he's an outstanding resource. www.true-course.com ; 805-727-4222 .

Tell him Spike sent you!

I used to use avemco and then checked out falcon and got better rates. I needed commercial rates for a new CFI and Parker helped me with that. Best you can do is call around.

USAIG here. Last time I priced Avemco they did not offer $1 million smooth.

Jon Harden at AIR-Pros. Office in FDK. Good man, known him for 20 odd years. He's got a Pitts too!

When I shopped insurance avemco wasn't the best price until they gave me the discounts for my FAAst (Wings) credits. The discounts put their pricing below the others I was looking at. Which were EAA (Falcon I think) and AOPA.

Mike

All other things being roughly equal, I'm happy to use which ever agency/underwriter is giving the most support to the IAC. NW Insurance has been sponsoring the International Aerobatic Club (IAC) for the past few years and they've been a great supporter with insurance for contests and offering great rates to aerobatic competitors. Even when they were 10% higher than competitive, I was happy to stay with them for their support to the organization. But now they're more than $1,000 more. I've shopped the AOPA agency, Falcon, and others and no one could beat Avemco. Never used them before but I'm going with them this time. They seem very responsive and friendly. I've talked to several other aerobatic pilots and they're very happy with them.

Hope I never have to find out how they resolve claims.

I have had 2 airplanes with AIG and 2 with Avemco, had one storm damage claim with AIG and they paid within 3 days. I thought both rates were fair, but AIG would not insure my E/AB airplanes.

I'm considering a change in agent/company for my aircraft insurance and was wondering if anyone here was anything positive or negative to say about Avemco?

I heard a rumor that they'll drop you after any claim. Anyone had that experience?

We've used Avemco for years and we are quite happy with them. They were very quick with sending me a check after my accident and did not raise our rates after the accident.

I have had 2 airplanes with AIG and 2 with Avemco, had one storm damage claim with AIG and they paid within 3 days. I thought both rates were fair, but AIG would not insure my E/AB airplanes.

Quick question. Real "AIG" or USAIG? They are not the same company at all.

I had Avemco, never made a claim, but never had any trouble.
I have been with Travers Aviation for the last few years, they have been absolutely great to work with, no one has been able to beat their price, their open pilot warranty have been best I've seen, when my wife was a student their instruction stipulations were the least restrictive, and when I've needed to make changes they've been a piece of cake to work with.

They were the official insurer of the old Cherokee Pilot's Association.
http://www.traversaviation.com/private-aircraft-insurance/single-engine-piston.html

I know of numerous people with Avemco who have had claims (the reason I know so many being that they are one of only a few underwriters who insure private aviation up here) and never heard of anyone ever being dropped. One person with whom I am aquainted had almost identical accidents, the second being exactly one year to the day after the first, and he still has his coverage. Can't speak to his rates :eek:

I've had a policy with them for five years or so including one smallish claim (that was my fault but my rate was not affected) and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for their thorough replies. I've switched to Avemco for a savings of over $1,000 this year on a $200,000 hull value '04 Pitts S2C. Hope they are as affordable next year but I'll still be shopping it around to see.

Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone for their thorough replies. I've switched to Avemco for a savings of over $1,000 this year on a $200,000 hull value '04 Pitts S2C. Hope they are as affordable next year but I'll still be shopping it around to see.

Great.

At times, they are better on oddball planes or 'step-up' situations. Just get a quote from a retail aviation insurance broker next year to see whether Avemco is still competitive.

Back