Aircraft Identification Charts

Andrew Powers

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
I live 10 miles north of runway 15, CYYZ , directly below the approach path.
It's wonderful in the summer to lie outside at night watching the underbellies above.
My workplace is 1.5 miles directly under the departure path, runway 23, CYYZ. Conversation outside is stopped every few minutes. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Does anyone know if there are any charts available depicting AC identification from below, like the ones used by spotters during WW2?
I spent a few minutes looking at the new AOPA message board only to find that people that know the 'Truth' are still doing battle with other people's 'Truth' under the guise of debate. IMHO.
Glad to be here!
Andrew

Andrew Powers said:
I live 10 miles north of runway 15, CYYZ , directly below the approach path.
It's wonderful in the summer to lie outside at night watching the underbellies above.
My workplace is 1.5 miles directly under the departure path, runway 23, CYYZ. Conversation outside is stopped every few minutes. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Does anyone know if there are any charts available depicting AC identification from below, like the ones used by spotters during WW2?
I spent a few minutes looking at the new AOPA message board only to find that people that know the 'Truth' are still doing battle with other people's 'Truth' under the guise of debate. IMHO.
Glad to be here!
Andrew

Hi Andrew,
There are books but you can get started here:
http://www.airliners.net/info/
I used to park at the end of the runways at YYZ and enjoy the view; you used to be able to park on top of Terminal 1 and see the entire airport from a couple of hundred feet up, it was like being in a C.T. except for the ten circles the car had to make to ascend/descend the building!
Caledon, I'm sure it's changed a lot but I used to have boyhood fun there, did a lot of XC skiing in the hills there. Flew into a grass strip nw of there 3 yrs ago to visit a Viking compadre.

cherokeeflyboy said:

Not just military:

Book Reviews said:
Covering the gamut of aircraft from civilian to military, rotary to fixed wing, the "baby" Janes is a great book for the aviation enthusiast as a quick reference guide or as a way to learn more without spending the hundreds for a full size Janes. Its size allows it to be easily carried in a bag and its perfect for airplane spotting or airshows.

Back